1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

WC 2006 World XI

Discussion in 'Colosseum' started by Register, Jul 10, 2006.

1. Register Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Because it's going to be more than a simple post, more of a manual poll, I'm putting it in it's own thread.

Basicly, nominate which players you considered to be the best during the tournament. We'll do a standard 4-4-2 lineup, with no substitutes. One honorary mention though, which isn't worth anything, but just because there's often one single player that's really good, but still surpassed by someone slightly better.

Oh, and put your vote on the tournament's best player, too.

My vote:

Keeper:
    Gianluigi Buffon, Italy - Kept everything out, save for one own goal and a couple of penalties. Kept Italy in the final after saving Zidane's phantom header in Extra Time, and saved Italy in the tournament many times before that.

Defenders:
    Philipp Lahm, Germany - He were EVERYWHERE during his games. From defensive playmaking on the midfield, via dangerous shots in the offence, to breathtaking tackles in the defence. All this, and he's not even 25. Clearly an asset for Germany for the tournaments to come.
    Fabio Cannavaro, Italy - Without him, Italy probably wouldn't have passed through the group stages. He kept the defence together and managed to stopp even Henry during his many dangerous runs in the final. Kept Klose and Podolski at bay together with Zambrotta, and practically ensured a medal for Italy with his excellent play during the whole tournament by himself.
    Lilian Thuram, France - The basis of France's defence. Without him and Zidane, they wouldn't even have passed the group stage, and certanly not Spain, Brazil, or Portugal. He did, just like Zidane, a really good tournament, worthy of a champion, which he once was, back in '98.
    Gianluca Zambrotta, Italy - The World's best defender delivered yet again. Like Philipp Lahm, he was a wingplayer that kept harassing the oppositions offence as well as defence, and never really made a single mistake, not counting his two yellow cards, one in the Quarter Final against Ukraine, and one in the Final against France.

Midfielders:
    Andrea Pirlo, Italy - Another Italian, but what do you expect? They must have good players to win the Cup, after all. Anyway, he kept delivering, every single game, by either marking out the opposition's star, such as Zidane, Ballack, or Nedved, or by dominating the middlefield with his dancing on the field, and that's not in a bad way. Although he only scored one goal, he was responsible for three others, including Grosso's important 1-0 against Germany.
    Maxi Rodriguez, Argentina - A fighter. Kept going on when he was on the field, and even though the final scenes of his team was disgraceful, I still consider him one of the more honorable players of the tournament. No diving, no foul play, just excellency. Scoring the tournament's finest goal doesn't hurt either, I must say.
    Zinedine Zidane, France - Together with Thuram, he carried the France team all the way from the mediocry of the Switzerland and Korea games, to the tactical excellency of Spain, Brazil, and Portugal. Great player all around, and other than his last minute in the tournament, he have been one of the best, and can clearly look back on this tournament with pride.
    Owen Hargreaves, England - A great player in a mediocre team. Kept fighting, never really gave up, and continued to raise England's standard throughout the tournament.

Attackers:
    Miroslav Klose, Germany - Together with Podolski, he kept filling the opposition's net with goals. Worthy of the Golden Shoe, but also a great player with good sportsmanship and standard of play. Kept up with his promises from the last World Cup, and I look forward to 2010.
    Lukas Podolski, Germany - Together with Klose, they formed the best attack in the tournament, which coincidently also resulted in the largest amount of goals. Did like the rest of the Mannschaft, rose to the challenge, and continued to create problems for the opposition's defence, any opposition.

Honorary Mention:
    Pascal Zuberbuehler, Switzerland - In a team that fought for his lives, he did something that no other keeper have ever done before; kept a clean sweep through the entire tournament, making it to the Second Round, and loosing, but still not conceding a single "official" goal. With better penalty shooters in his team, he would've been the one that would have to face Italy in the Quarter Final.

Best Player of the Cup:
    Fabio Cannavaro, Italy - In a tournament that played excellent defensive play, but sub-par attacking play, players like Thuram, Grossi, Zambrotta, Viera, Alexandersson, Ferdinand, and Lahm fought with spirit, strength, technique, and skill. Above all these, however, was the captain of the Cupwinners, the man that controlled the World's best defence with his right foot, and the opposition's offense with his left foot. Nothing ever really got past him, not a single mistake was made. If anyone deserves the Golden Ball, it's him.

[ July 10, 2006, 15:19: Message edited by: Rutkowski ]

2. Barmy Army

Barmy Army Simple mind, simple pleasures... Adored Veteran

Media:
    Frank Lampard was CRAP. Utter, utter garbage. He miss-placed passes, shot on target every time and never even looked like scoring, was miles off the pace. He was just rubbish, probably our worst player. Hargreaves was our best player in the middle, Joe Cole out best midfielder.

My XI would be...

Gigi Buffon - This guy is the best goalkeeper in the world. I have watched him for years and never noticed a weakness.

Gianluca Zambrotta - Good going forward, good at the back, can't fault him really.

Fabby Cannavaro - Absolutely rock solid. Exceptional.

Roberto Ayala - Exceptional for Argentina all tournament. He saved them the game against Ivory Coast.

Phil Lahm - I knew he was meant to be a good player, but I think he's fantastic now. He's steady enough at the back, but going forward he's a real outlet.

Maxi Rodriguez - Really good all-round displays and seemingly the only Argie willing to roll his sleeves up and get stuck in when the **** starts hitting the fan. Good vision and a wicked shot as well.

Andrea Pirlo - His vision, range of passing and accuracy is fantastic. If I was playing in a team with him, I'd know all I had to do was pass him the ball and he'd make something happen. Brilliant.

Genny Ivan Gattuso - Probably the best defensive midfielder since Roy Keane was in his prime.

Tomas Rosicky - What a howitzer this guy has got. His £7m move to Arsenal is looking like another steal by Wenger. Great displays.

Miroslav Klose - Reminds me of Alan Shearer in his pomp. Good in the air and good movement. Doesn't waste many chances in front of goal.

Fernando Torres - He's turning himself into a real world class forward. His displays in this world cup were fantastic. He's got everything. Pace, power, strength, movement, good in the air. The lot.

Special mentions to - Thuram, Ferdinand, A Cole, Crespo, Riquelme, Kaka, Grosso, Lehmann, Gallas, Swienstieger...

3. Register Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Ya forgot Best Player of the Cup.

And I didn't mean Lampard, I ment Hargreaves. Always mix those two up for some reason.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.