1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Was NWN1 always this foggy?

Discussion in 'Neverwinter Nights (Classic)' started by SlickRCBD, Jun 6, 2013.

1. SlickRCBD Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Resourceful Adored Veteran

Media:
    I was playing the sequel when I realized it had been ages since I'd finished the OC of the first game, so I thought I'd instead go back and play NWN1.
    I don't recall things being this foggy. The image below was taken near the goblin/orc/bugbear caves on the road to Luskan at 11am.

[​IMG]

Are there any options to turn off or turn down the fog? A Google search only yeilds results for NWN2.

Hardware:
    Gateway 4200DX
    AMD Phenomâ„¢ 9550 processor, 64-bit quad core processor
    Each core operates at 2.20 GHz
    2 MB shared L3 cache
    3600 MHz HT 3.0 system bus
    ATI Radion 3490 with 256mb vRAM
    6gb RAM
    dual-boot Vista 64-bit Home Premium/Windows 7 Professional
    Gateway Official Site: Worldwide

(I'm having trouble getting the game to run at acceptable speed under Windows 7 even though I installed it to the same directory on both OSes and it's fully patched).

---------- Added 0 hours, 4 minutes and 30 seconds later... ----------

P.S. Is there some way to make NWN1 use the JPG format for screenshots the way the sequel does? I couldn't upload the .tga file to SP at all, it kept giving me errors so I converted it to .JPG with IRFanView.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 20, 2015
  2. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    IIRC that fog is normal - NWN only renders a portion of the visible background and obscures the rest to save on resources. But it's been ages since I've played it last...

I'm not sure if it's possible to specify the image format for NWN1, but since you've got IrfanView, just use that to take screenshots instead (it has the feature to do it)... in IV, you can specify whatever format and quality you want for the screens taken.

There should be a note as to which image formats you can upload here when you're doing the uploading... tga and bmp aren't among them. jpg is the norm.

3. SlickRCBD Gems: 29/31

Media:
    Thanks, I should have also posted a pic of the caves, which also seemed extremely foggy and I don't recall them being this foggy. Unfortunately I'm in Windows 7 right now.

I thought it might be related to whatever screwed up Windows 7 such that the game runs so slowly as to be unplayable. I have the game installed to the same directory on the same drive so that the game and config files are shared by both OSes. I can't figure out why it won't run, but it's only affected Bioware and Obsidian games like NWN1, NWN2, KOTR, KOTR2, and Jade Empire. Starfleet Command 3 and Jane's/SCS Fleet Command work fine (or as fine as Fleet Command ever did work)

4. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    It's likely an issue with your graphics card... do you have the latest official drivers installed?

5. SlickRCBD Gems: 29/31

Media:
    I haven't updated the drivers in over two years, things were working fine, although it's been a while since I played NWN. I've been playing other games, many on my old 1ghz 98SE/XP machine.

The strange thing is that the game seems to be working OK except for the fog on the old Vista Home installation even though it's the exact same game files located on the Vista partition.

For the last couple of years, the library "book sale" has been getting a lot of computer software donations, and I've been picking up some old classic games I never go to play. I finally got to play the original X-com and I've been hooked.

---------- Added 8 hours, 23 minutes and 29 seconds later... ----------

Here are a couple other images showing how foggy things are:
    http://www.sorcerers.net/community/index.php?media/3083
    http://www.sorcerers.net/community/index.php?media/3084

These are in the goblin/orc/bugbear caves near where you fight the Ogre Mage boss whose name I can't spell whose in kahoots with Ganon (who should be a wizard from Hyrule).

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 20, 2015
  6. The Magpie

The Magpie Balance, in all things Veteran

IIRC, NWN's fog is actually tied to the area you're in more than being a universal graphical option. It should be possible to edit this in the module's properties in the construction set, but it mightn't be that easy for the official campaigns.

7. SlickRCBD Gems: 29/31

Media:
    Another glitch is that I don't see the top of tall objects, like the Druid's tree in the city core or the Nymph's "house" in the Neverwinter wood. I don't recall that glitch before either.

At least it's playable in Vista, but the game is unplayable at all in Windows 7.

I'll have to try downloading a new copy of the Catalyst Control Center.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.