1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Warriors at the Gate: #26 Another Breed

Discussion in 'BoM Blogs' started by 8people, Jan 25, 2010.

1. 8people

8people 8 is just another way of looking at infinite ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran

Media:
    I've been asked to help out with a mod for Vampire: the Masquerade - Bloodlines called "Camarilla Edition" that changes a fair few things in the game, and looks like it could be a bit of fun to work on :) currently I'm only helping out with the forums but once I've got more time I'm getting started on working on learning the ropes of modding and maybe making my own alterations.

On a IE related note, non traditional races, they crop up everywhere, what's wrong with good old fashioned humans? Or Elves/Half-Elves/Orc/Gnomes/Dwarves? A lot of NPC mods tend to go for unusual races to make up a majority of character depth. Why does she do X? Oh, because she's a Y and that's what Y society is like. While an appropriate response for many ventures of avenues of personality should not be an answer for the majority of their motivation and drive. Why does he do A? Because he's a human. Never really cuts it. The exotic races tend to have an air of mystery, much as "Why is he acting like that?" "Oh, he's dyslexic" "ohh! Okay then." lack of depth of understanding seems to lead to a drive of character and a means of an end.

Now, I am not in any way saying "picking an exotic race is a cop out" far from it, but a lot of the time it requires a lot more effort from the author to write it convincingly and with enough depth to counteract the alien nature of the encounter. There is also the risk of playing OMFG THIS RACE SOUNDS COOL WE'LL DO IT. Um, okay, but playing the race card always seems a little low. Race should be a factor in conjunction with personality not a reasoning for personality or an excuse for behaviour. Race may be an identifier within a culture but it is not the sum of such, likewise there should not be a million pariahs for each race and culture.

A lot of people tar Drow as uninteresting, overdone and tired, the greatest examples of this I have witnessed are pretty much the range of Drizzt clones people play in games, even at LARP events you can gauruntee there will be five or six Drizzt types lined up. The other side are the people trying to 'outdo' the Drizzt clones in a frenzy of "OH YEAH I'M SO BAD" without any motivation, political ideal or depth beyond "Drow are evil, I am Drow!" of course, I do not include Viconia in the lineup, while flighty and often hiding potential, she is one of the better examples of 'reasonable' Drow out there.

Why can't a human be exotic as a half dragon or yuan-ti enchantress? You could go into a bar (in real life) and scope the room for anything that catches your eye, I doubt you would leave with a sigh "not enough limbs for my taste, let's leave this dump", I doubt you make friends of each and every race except your own because you'd rather interact with something interesting than something you already know. While fantasy in some regard is about distancing yourself from reality, a shallow conception can leave you far less satisfied than a game set in modern day earth with excellent depth and still a potential for escape.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.