1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Warhammer 40k isn't just for kids...

Discussion in 'BoM Blogs' started by Dave the Magic Turtle, Apr 16, 2009.

1. Dave the Magic Turtle Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

Veteran

Media:
    I have recently become embroiled in the world of P&P RP in more specific terms I, with a group of friends have begun playing Dark Heresy, the Warhammer 40'000 RP Game. Its great fun, combat is strategic and viceral and there is plenty of background and things available to make it a fun and diverse universe to play in. While you may at first think the game is all about combat, being set in a universe with the tag line "In the grim darkness of the 41st millenium there is only war" you will be pleasantly surprised to find it puts a lot of stock into character interaction and detective work.

Your characters work for an NPC Inquisitor as a small cell of operatives who are sent to investigate rumours of heresy and aliens and various other foul mysteries. It is ofcourse up to the GM how things unfold and with the knowledge that anyone could be a heretic the possibilities are endless.

The wonderful thing about playing a game set in the warhammer universe is its diversity. There are literally thousands of planets, moons, and lumps of rock to explore and each is different. You have worlds that resemble a common fantasy setting, to high tech worlds. You might send the acolytes to a world inhabited by humans who are stuck in the middle ages, using knights, swords, bows etc, where your characters must remain undercover lest they be strung up as foul demons. Or you could just as likely send them to Earth as we know it, bringing the 40k universe to the streets of London!

The Rules themselves are very robust based on d10's and d100's or percentiles, and combat is always fast paced and dangerous. An unarmoured acolyte is perfectly capable of being blown apart by the most basic gun in the game! This forces players to think about their actions, rather than just shoot their way to the top.

I actually like the rules alot more compared to anything else I've played, and have found it easy to GM even though I had never done it before. I have even begun creating a steampunk conversion for the rules, based in the Victorian British Empire.

I hope to run some games in the Roleplay Corner at some point, though I need to sort out documentation for character creation for those who haven't got the rules...if anyone has any advice that'd be great!

Anyway just thought I'd put down some thoughts on it, and definately recommend people give it a go! :)

If you'd like to have a chat about it or anything I'm Chewbaka in the Friendly Arm Inn chatroom, or you can find me in the #Acolyte.x.am channel on IRC same name.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.