1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Warhammer 40k Dawn of War questions

Discussion in 'Playground' started by TheShizzo, Oct 2, 2006.

1. TheShizzo Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

I've recently played the demo for dark crusade, the second expansion pack for dawn of war, and I was wondering if Dawn of War has a good single player campaign? I'm not too interested in multiplayer, but if it has a nice single player campaign I'm definatly thinking of buying it!

Also, how long is the single player campaign? Last RTS i played was starcraft and I loved the single player that game had, how does Dawn of War compare to that in that regard?

Thanks for your time!

2. AMaster Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Media:
    Um. If you only want to play the singleplayer campaign, skip Dawn of War. If you like offline skirmishes, then get it.

If you think there's the remotest chance you could get into online gaming, definitely get it.

3. TheShizzo Gems: 1/31

Well I was *huge* into online play at starcraft, althought it isn't my main attraction to a game since I don't have much time anymore (meaning I'll probably get stomped by the pros in multiplayer) I still enjoy multiplayer, but I didn't realise warhammer was a huge title for online play. Thanks for your reply, I'll probably be getting this game once I pull $30 out from my paycheck for the gold edition. Pretty good deal for the game + winter assault expansion!

4. Decados

Decados The Chosen One

Media:
    The single player campaign isn't really all that long. The main attraction is the skirmishes though- they are worth getting it for. I've never tried multi-player as I'm not much of an online gamer so I can't comment on that.

5. Register Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

The Original Campaign is quite good with a nice story and interesting characters, but the Winter Assault campaign was quite lame.

6. Death Rabbit

Death Rabbit Straight, no chaser Adored Veteran Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Is winter assault included in this new expansion, or do you have to buy it seperately? I really want to pick this up, but I avoided getting Winter Assault because it looked so lame. If they're BOTH included in the new expansion that'd be great...

7. Alavin

Alavin If I wanted your view, I'd read your entrails Veteran

I don't think it is. But I liked Winter Assault; the Imperial Guard are a good fun race, and the campaign was fun.

8. TheShizzo Gems: 1/31

If you get Warhammer: 40,000 : Dawn of War GOLD edition then you get both Dawn of War(game of the year edition) and Winter Assault for $29.99 in the US. I went to Best Buy and purchased that last night, so far I'm having a lot of fun in the DoW campaign, on mission 7 now. Hopefully Winter Assault isn't really lame, but I'm sure I'll find things I enjoy about it!

So far I'm loving this game, really fun!

edit: I plan on getting Dark Crusade as well when that comes out, but I am kind of bummed that it is going to cost as much as I payed for both DoW and Winter Assault put together :( Will be worth it to play a truely evil race though! And the single player compaign looks pretty cool where you conquere an entire world.

9. AMaster Gems: 26/31

Media:
    Winter Assault's singleplayer campaign is far superior to DoW's, for the simple reason that it's actually possible to lose most of the missions without being a moron. In vanilla DoW, unless it's your first RTS, it's a cakewalk. An entertaining cakewalk, to be sure, but that does get tiresome.

Plus you get to play as four races instead of just Space Marines.

Only downside is its length; six missions, maybe an hour to an hour and a half each. Less than ten hours any way you slice it.

Frankly, Winter Assault is one of the better expansions I've seen for an RTS. On par with, if not better than, Frozen Throne.

Er, I just read on IGN that Dark Crusade will not require Dawn of War to run. Is that correct?

10. Death Rabbit

Death Rabbit Straight, no chaser Adored Veteran Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Wow...that's quite a claim. I hope you're right.

11. AMaster Gems: 26/31

Media:
    Well, to be clear, the singleplayer campaign isn't as good as Frozenthrone's latter two campaigns (I didn't much care for the night elf missions), but in terms of content added its up there. And it's, by and large, good content.

12. Decados

Decados The Chosen One

Media:
    If you are going for DoW, then I'd advise getting Winter Assault as well. While the campaign isn't anything groundbreaking, it adds both a new race which requires slightly different tactics to use effectively and more units to the existing ones. Eldar, for example, gain a tank-hunting infantry unit- something that was sorely missing from the original version.

13. The Magister Gems: 26/31

Media:
    According to various advertising sources, Dark Crusade will not require Winter Assault OR Dawn of War. It is clamed to be a "stand alone expantion" meaning you can play without them. Without Winter Assault though you can't be Imperial Guard or use the bonus units. You CAN do without, but should you? :hmm:

14. edorien Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

dark crusade: stand only single player.
    But for multi-player you can only play the races for the version you purchased, but you get to play against human players using the other races.

ie dark crusade only = necron or tau in multiplayer
    dawn of war + dark crusade = all races but imperial guard

all addons = all races.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.