1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Want to buy my first smartphone - any advice?

Discussion in 'Techno-Magic' started by hannibal555, Aug 8, 2011.

1. hannibal555 Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

Media:
    Hi,
    I need a new phone and want to try out a smartphone now after having used pretty oldschool ones so far.

I read several reviews on amazon, and this makes me pretty unconfident, sice every brand seems to have software issues or too weak batteries, etc...

Maybe there's some forumer out there who loves his smartphone and simply can recommend it ^^?

Things that are important for me:

- robust
    - not too expensive (maybe up to 300 €)
    - reasonable battery runtime
    - quality over quantity
    - no apple, please :)

2. Barmy Army

Barmy Army Simple mind, simple pleasures... Adored Veteran

Media:
    I'm a bit of a smartphone junky so I can try to help, however I only stick to the cutting egde of new devices so I'm not sure how much help I can be on budget phones.

The San Francisco (or ZTE Blade, the name changes depending on country) sounds like it might be a good option for you. You can pick it up for about 100 Euro or just over and it's a very, very good entry level smartphone. From there (once you get the bug) you can move up the tree.

The problem is, at 300 Euro budget limit you're kind of stuck between 2 price brackets. You can't afford the HTC Sensation or the Samsung Galaxy S2 which are the best 2 phones on the market right now, but retail at over 400 Euro, but have way too much money for a low-level smartphone.

Phones like the Galaxy 1, HTC HD2, Nexus, HTC Desire HD, are very good options too but are all a bit 'last year', yet retail around 150-200 Euro. If you don't mind going for a slightly older device you might consider these.

At the very top end, there are only really 2 options (the SGS2 or HTC Sensation) but down from that, it's a bit of a minefield of semi-decent, OK and downright awful devices.

Personally, if you want a good smartphone with good functionality, I'd get the ZTE Blade/San Francisco or Desire HD. Either that or up your budget a bit, if you want to go for one of the big boys.

I'm not sure what you'd consider good battery life, but don't expect any smartphone with a halfway decent display and screen size to have a particularly stellar battery life. Depending on how much (and how) you use it, you can expect pretty much any smartphone to last anywhere from 1-5 days, no more than that. Like, I'm constantly caning my phone with 3G and Wifi connections/browsing, video streaming, emulating PSX games and all sorts of stuff, and it lasts about 2 days usually. However if it's constantly on standby with maybe the odd text or phone call I can stretch 5 or more days of out it. Like I've just been away in Portugal for 10 days I only needed to charge it once.

I'd also stay away from any device that uses Windows Mobile 7, but I guess you don't need me to tell you that.

3. hannibal555 Gems: 9/31

Media:
    Thanks, Barmy, I heard about the Desire, will check out the ZTE.

4. Taza

Taza Weird Modmaker Veteran

Ugh, the ZTE. Ugh.

I prefer the Samsung Galaxy Mini over the Blade. Or the HTC Wildfire S.

But overall, I'd recommend the HTC Desire Z. It's a bit aged, but full QWERTY keyboard (an actual keyboard too) is well worth it.

One thing me and Barmy can agree on: If you don't want Apple, you probably want an Android phone.

5. hannibal555 Gems: 9/31

Media:
    A bit of thread necromancy, but I just wanted to say that I finally got my phone at last ^^.

I got a Sony Ericcson Active (the one that claims to be waterproof), because I wanted a solid phone that wouldn't break at the first few instances I let it slip out of my hand (I fear my clumsyness :)).

Owning it now for approx. 4 months I'm very pleased with it. I charge it every 4th day, so that concern of battery runtime isn't a too big problem.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.