1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Wanderer (forum adventure)

Discussion in 'Creativity Surge' started by Oaz, Oct 29, 2002.

1. Oaz Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Well, I suppose it was only a matter of time before 8people’s forum adventure caught on. In the same fashion, I am making a forum adventure which will, basically, follow the same rules as 8people’s adventure. If you know what her thread is like, the rules for this are essentially the same, if not, read the rules:

1. Only the topic starter (me, of course ;) :p ) can post the descriptions and consequences. Everyone else can only post what the protagonist does (or wants to do, anyways).

2. Feel free to ask questions about the surroundings, but nothing that the protagonist wouldn’t notice naturally. A good question would be, “Can you describe the wizard?” A bad one is “Is the wizard evil?”

3. Please PM me if you have questions. (and 8people, feel free to flame me for stealing your idea. ;) :p )

4. Have fun! I will sometimes have the protagonist do things, but bear with me! :)

All my posts will end in this format:

Tidbits
    This is where certain tidbits might go.

Example: The protagonist discovered a picture of his long-lost brother in the demon’s tower.

Objectives
    This is what the protagonist must accomplish to further whatever it is that he must do. Of course, they are not objectives in the sense of something that one must do, but something that is important to him.

Example: Track down the ogre who has your little sister captured.

Inventory
    Whatever the protagonist has with him. It will be in list forum, like this:
    -5 gold coins
    -A walking staff
    -His magic ring

Status
    The physical and mental condition of the protagonist.

Example: Took quite a blow from falling out of the tree, but all right otherwise.

Setting
    Where the protagonist is.

Example: On the third floor of the orc stronghold.

Choices
    There are always at least two of these. They are what you can choose to do. Another choice that is reasonable, but that I did not give, is perfectly fine. Example:
    -Go left in the maze.
    -Go right.
    -Turn back.

Yeah, that’s quite a bit, but I hope you have fun. Now on to the real thing.

------------------------------------------------------

A man wakes up in the forest. He stands up in confusion; there is no one around him but the trees, the cold morning mist, and the mud he was lying in. Strangely, there are no footprints (or tracks, otherwise) on the mud; he realizes he must have fallen from something.

Strange, he muses to himself. Fallen.

Sheth! Sheth!

The man realizes with a cold horror that he remembers nothing. He does not remember his past, where his home is, or even his name. He does not even know what he looks like. He then looks at his arms and legs, and assures himself he is human.

Sheth! Sheth!

“My name is Sheth,” the man assures himself out loud.

“My name is Sheth.”

Sheth realizes again that he is lost. The only other memory he can remember is a whirl, a blast, a chaos of flurries and confusion. He heard
    (Sheth! Sheth!)
    noises. That was all. Then he was here.

Sheth shakes his head. He looks at his clothes. He is wearing a tunic, a flimsy jacket of cloth, pants (with a thin rope to serve as a belt), the appropriate undergarments (including socks), and a pair of ragged, leather shoes.

Better than nothing, Sheth thinks to himself.

He also eyes a staff on the ground. It is but a walking staff, but has some strange symbols carved into them. He has no idea what they mean. Perhaps if he understood some magic, he might be able to understand the carved runes, if they served any real significance. Alas, he hardly knows anything about magic, even if he did in his past. At the same time, he realizes that there is a bag hanging from his “belt”. He pulls it out, and empties the contents on the ground. He counts about forty gold coins, and about twenty silver coins in happy surprise. He has no idea how much they are worth. To Sheth’s dismay, that is all that is with him. He pats his pockets to check for anything with him he may have missed, but finds nothing. He searches the area around him, but finds only wood and mud and leaves. He has no food, water, or shelter – just his clothes, a handful of coins, a staff, and his own wits.

He looks around. Silence. There is only he, the somber trees, and the silent mist.

He wonders what to do now.

Tidbits
    -Sheth does not know who he is. He isn’t even sure if Sheth is his real name.

Objectives
    -Find out what in the world is going on.

Inventory
    -Fortysome gold coins, twentysome silver coins.
    -A walking staff which bears strange carvings on it.
    -His clothes and the coin bag. (not listed from here on)

Status
    Sheth feels fine physically, but is confused.

Setting
    In the middle of a forest. It is early morning. The sky is cloudy, and there is mist.

Choices
    -Stay where he is, and continue to ponder.
    -Get out of the forest back to civilization. (assuming it is out there)
    -Explore the forest, and forage for some food and water.
    -Anything else reasonable. (Sheth is not suicidal, by the way, simply a tad confused ;) )

(I hope you enjoy! :) )

[ October 29, 2002, 02:49: Message edited by: C'Jakob ]

2. 8people

8people 8 is just another way of looking at infinite ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran

Media:
    [​IMG] Look through the trees to see if anything is there.

( ;) )

3. Oaz Gems: 29/31

Sheth gets up from where he was standing. The cold, brisk, forest air has invigorated him, and he feels much better. He even forgets for a moment that he is a lost man in an unknown place, and he smiles. But the reality of the situation comes crashing down again on Sheth. He picks up his staff and begins wandering the forest.

Hopefully something will turn up, Sheth thinks to himself.

Somewhere off in the distance, he can hear the sound of water. He realizes he must be near water. He continues to wander the forest, and the trees, squirrels, decaying logs, and wet soil seem so familiar to him. Perhaps this was part of his past, being in a forest?

Lost in the brief moment of reverie, he barely fails to see a green-skinned, small, creature walk around him. He saw the creature wandering the forest, then turned tail (the creature, that is) when it spied Sheth.

Whatever that was, it's somewhere in the forest, Sheth ponders. What is it?

Tidbits
    -Sheth does not know who he is. He isn’t even sure if Sheth is his real name.
    -He can hear the sound of water near him.
    -He saw a green-skinned, small creature (about the size of a child), run away from him when it saw Sheth.

Objectives
    -Recollect whatever has happened.
    -Find the creature, if neccessary.

Inventory
    -Fortysome gold coins, twentysome silver coins.
    -A walking staff which bears strange carvings on it.

Status
    Sheth feels much better, both physically and mentally. It is, however, a bit nippy.

Setting
    In the middle of a forest. It is early morning. The sky is cloudy, and there is mist. There ought to be water nearby.

Choices
    -Try to find and follow the green-skinned creature.
    -Leave the forest in search of civilization.
    -Head near water.
    -Leave the creature alone, but continue to wander the forest in search of something.

4. 8people

8people 8 is just another way of looking at infinite ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran

Media:
    [​IMG] he looks into the direction the creature wen and decides to follow - trying to keep a mental not of his directions so he can return if need be

5. Oaz Gems: 29/31

Maybe it is intuition. Maybe it is luck. Maybe it is from the guidance of the gods. Maybe it is Maybeline. Regardless, Sheth is able to pursue the creature in the woods (with his staff in hand), and still be able to keep a mark on it, despite its camoflauge and small size. Sheth tries to make a mental note of where he found himself, and chastises himself for not making a mark on the ground where he saw the thing.

Sheth finds himself on a beach near a large body of water. There are several islands with forests in the waters.

The creature stumbles in the sand, and falls down. Sheth faces it; the creature looks a bit injured and winded from the chase.

It pleads in Draconic (which Sheth realizes he undestands), "No... stop. Please. No hurt. No hurt me. I no hurt you. Help. Please."

It moans in pain, and lies in the sand.

Sheth looks at the creature with a mixture of puzzlement, pity, disdain, and hope.

Maybe this thing can give some answers, Sheth thinks to himself. I hope for its own sake it didn't capture me.

Sheth shakes his head at the very thought. Certainly no thief took him; who would leave his bag of coins and his strange staff with him?

Sheth wonders who this strange creature is.

That doesn't matter. What matters is, can it provide answers?

Tidbits
    -Sheth is an amnesiac. (This will no longer be stated, given it is integral to this story.)
    -A kobold (Sheth doesn't know what kobolds are, but the creature is one, and will be referred to as one from now on for the sake of simplicity.) has pretty much surrendered to Sheth.

Objectives
    -Recollect whatever has happened. (This will no longer be stated, given it is integral to this adventure.)
    -Talk to the kobold if he feels it is necessary.

Inventory
    See previous post.

Status
    Sheth feels a bit tired after the run, and sustained a scrape or two, but nothing serious; he has not drawn blood or anything.

Setting
    On a beach (in a temperate setting), with a forest behind. Among the water, there are several forested islands. Sheth does not know if he is on an island or the mainland.

Choices
    -Leave the kobold be.
    -Ask the kobold any questions.
    -Anything else reasonable.

[ October 30, 2002, 02:20: Message edited by: C'Jakob ]

6. Aikanaro Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

"What are you," demands Sheth to the kobold

7. Oaz Gems: 29/31

Okay, I won't be posting the Objectives, Status, and Settings parts of this adventure anymore, because I feel that they're pretty much useless. Just PM me if you need to know anything. If you do not see a Tidbits, Inventory, or Choices section, it means that part has not changed.
    -----------------------------------------------

The kobold, slightly dazed, looks at Sheth in a mixture of apprehension and curiosity.

"Who? Me? I Jabel. Come from village by shore. Over there." The kobold points a clawed finger in a direction where the sun seems to be rising.

Sheth shakes his head. "No, I meant, 'what are you?'"

Jabel spits out sand and saliva onto the beach. "I kobold. Obvious, no? Come from kobold village. We eat fish. Fish is good; tasty, but that 'cause we like fish. Dunno 'bout you tall person," the kobold rambles.

Tidbits
    There is apparently a kobold fishing village nearby the beach on the island.

Choices
    -Continue to talk to Jabel.
    -Head toward the village (or anywhere else, for that matter.)

[ November 01, 2002, 23:51: Message edited by: C'Jakob ]

8. Jesper898 Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

"Take me to your leader" ( :p ) Sheth demands

9. Oaz Gems: 29/31

"Old Scaletooth our leader. He wise. He know about what happened last night."

"And that would be?"

"Fire in sk- err... never mind. Just follow me."

Jabel scampers off into the rising sun, presumably towards his village. Sheth runs after him.

Upon reaching the village, Sheth eyes a kobold mother nursing a baby. He sees a kobold taking a drink from the lake. He eyes another kobold bragging to his friend about the size of a fish he once caught.

All a functioning, happy village. Home, Sheth thinks. But he understands that he clearly does not belong where is right now; but perhaps this Scaletooth can provide answers.

"Old Scaletooth live dere," Jabel says, pointing a claw towards a hut that in no way stands out from the other huts in the village.

Tidbits
    -There is a kobold fishing village on the island. The leader is called (by Jabel, anyways) Old Scaletooth, who is supposed to be wise.
    -Something happened last night involving fire in the sky, which Jabel seems hesistant to discuss.

Choices
    -Anything reasonable.

[ November 03, 2002, 19:34: Message edited by: C'Jakob ]

10. 8people

Media:
    [​IMG] Lets go to old Scaletooth ;)

11. Oaz Gems: 29/31

Upon entering Old Scaletooth's home, Sheth is hit with a wave of odors. They are not really bad odors, just... a tad unpleasant. While there's no smell of waste or sweat, the smell of dried fish, bones, strange concoctions, and other things pervade Scaletooth's home.

Sheth enters the hut, and Old Scaletooth, a wizened, hunched, kobold with a white, wispy beard turns around to face the amnesiac. The kobold utters three words.

"Take a bath."

Sheth, clearly, is confused.

"Excuse me?"

"I said, 'take a bath,'" Scaletooth says, "When you have bathed, I will talk to you."

Tidbits
    -Something happened last night involving fire in the sky, which Jabel seems hesistant to discuss.
    -Old Scaletooth asks Sheth take a bath. This is extremely confusing, given that his hut is already pretty smelly.

Choices
    -Of course, take a bath.
    -Keep talking to Scaletooth.
    -Talk to Jabel again, or anyone else in the village.

12. Sniper Gems: 28/31
    Latest gem: Star Sapphire

Sheth will take a bath

13. Oaz Gems: 29/31

Sheth walks to the edge of the beach, trying to get some privacy from the kobolds who stare at the tall, hairy, scaleless thing that has come onto their village. His heart skips a beat right before he takes off his jacket and tunic.

There are two huge tattoos, one on the left side of his torso, and the other on the right side of his torso.

The one on the left looks like an ant, except that its head looks almost intelligent and humanlike. Furthermore, the torso of the "ant" is erect, almost like a centaur, where the abdomen is the horse part of a centaur, and the head and upper body are the human part of a centaur.

The one on his left side of Sheth's body is just as strange. It is humanlike in appearance, what with two arms, two legs, and a head, but everything is monstrous. Huge, crooked, fangs sprout out of the thing's mouth, and its hands bear large claws that look like they could rip a man into pieces. But the large teeth and the claws are not what get Sheth's attention; the thing has a third eye, right above its two normal eyes, and the thing's skin is jet black, save for dirty-white teeth and claws.

Sheth realizes
    (knows)
    that this is what Old Scaletooth wanted him to see. He pauses and stares at his two tattoos. He feels
    (knows)
    that they are both something important... something relating to his past.

Sheth feels utterly confused. He steps in the lake, and takes the bath, then returns to the strange kobold's hut, feeling like he deserves some answers.

Tidbits
    -Sheth believes that Old Scaletooth wanted Sheth to see the two strange tattoos on his body. Scaletooth knew about them before Sheth did.

Choices
    -Whatever is reasonable.

14. Belwar Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

Sheth speaks to Old scaletooth

15. Oaz Gems: 29/31

Upon arriving at the strange kobold's house, Sheth looks down at Scaletooth, his gaze reflecting both a demand for an answer and a curiosity of what Scaletooth knows.

The old kobold grins knowingly at Sheth. He points to Sheth's chest, and says, "Long-timers."

Sheth blinks in confusion.

"Ant and black. Long-timers."

"How did you know about those... things?"

"I know plenty," Scaletooth wheezes. "Even about fire in sky. Even about where you need go."

Tidbits
    -Scaletooth knows about Sheth's strange tattoos, and refers to the ant-human and the black monster as "long-timers".
    -Scaletooth claims to know about the fire in the sky that Jabel mentioned.

Choices
    Once again, anything reasonable.

16. The Irreligious Paladin Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

Sheth should ask about the fire in the sky.

17. Oaz Gems: 29/31

Scaletooth explains to Sheth that last night, there was a large fire in the sky. That night, Scaletooth sent Jabel to investigate what happened. Jabel found him (or perhaps he found Sheth), explaining what he was doing in the forest.

"Do you know when I was found here?"

"Likely after big fire in sky."

Tidbits
    -Scaletooth apparently knows about where Sheth has to go.
    -Sheth was found in the forest following a large fire in the sky.

18. 8people

Media:
    [​IMG] Ask old Scaley where he has to go :rolling:

19. Oaz Gems: 29/31

8people - I owe you one. ;)

Scaletooth shrugs.

"Away from here. Away from tribe."

He walks out from the hut, and Sheth follows. Scaletooth points to a small, crudely made boat. He looks up at the amnesiac, his eyes hinting at both wisdom and fear.

"Take the boat. Leave. Human town by coast."

20. Rallymama Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Media:
    As he's climbing into the boat, Sheth turns to ask for some provisions.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.