1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Wait a Minute - It's Minute

Discussion in 'BG2: Throne of Bhaal (Classic)' started by Aldeth the Foppish Idiot, Jul 23, 2004.

1. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Aldeth the Foppish Idiot Armed with My Mallet O' Thinking Veteran

Media:
    OK, I have to clear this up. I was talking to my brother the other day and we started talking about the spell Melf's Minute Meteors. We quickly realized we were pronouncing the middle word two different ways, and both of which were possible. As it turns out there are two different pronounciations of "minute".

The more common pronounciation would phonetically be spelled "minit", and would be defined as an interval of time equal to 60 seconds. That was how my brother was pronouncing it.

I always pronounced it (phonetically here again) "my-noot". With this pronounciation it is defined as something very small. I thought it was "my-noot" because they were tiny meteors, but my brother insists on "minit"

Can anyone clear this up even though I'm 99% positive I'm right here?

2. Wordplay Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Actually, you both are wrong. It's [mai-nai-te] :shake:

Seriously; does it matter what your personal preference for pronouncing perfectly understandable word is?

3. Shrikant

Shrikant Swords! Not words! Veteran

Your right and your brother's wrong. :hippy:

4. Death Rabbit

Death Rabbit Straight, no chaser Adored Veteran Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    ...and you need less free time if this actually created an arguement. Wow.

5. Wiegraf Folles Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

what if you're both right? what if they're called minute (my-noot) because they're small, at the same time, they (theoretically) only last a minute (minit). That should get you thinking.

6. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Media:
    Well how do you people say it? It's just one of those things - not remotely important - and yet I NEED to know.

7. Menion Leah Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

I agree with Wiegraf Folles, it could be both. Both make sense.

I always used to think it was 'minit' (60 seconds), but that's probably because it is a more common word and my English vocabulary isn't as good as that of a native speaker. I never really thought about it until now.

8. Djieff Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

It's definitely "my-noot", as in "tiny". Plus, they don't last a minute, they're permanent (or almost?) -- until you use them, that is.

9. Geoff Gems: 6/31

I always thought it was the "my-noot" style. Does your brother have a small vocabulary? :lol:

10. Rudiger Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

There small, very very small.

11. Evil Dad Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

Definitely small. Think of them as small fiery lizard things. My-newt meteors :D

12. Wiegraf Folles Gems: 6/31

I (and any of my friends that have played it) have always said it "minit", but we were too lazy to care if it was right or not. <sigh> Why couldnt the spell have been called "Melf's Tiny Meteors" or something like that? Certainly would save us the trouble

13. Death Rabbit

Death Rabbit Straight, no chaser Adored Veteran Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Melf's My newt, meaty oars.

14. Blog Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

Well, for the sake of correct grammar, it should be my-newt so that minute becomes an adjective to describe the meteors. So the name of the spell is "small meteors belonging to Melf." :rolleyes:

If you use minute as a noun, it doesn't make sense since there will be two nouns in a row. It would be like saying "Melf's chair table" or something.

15. Death Rabbit

Media:
    @ Blog

What about Minute Rice? That works, doesn't it? They could be quick and convenient meteors. As in "under a minute." If Uncle Ben can have Minute Rice, Melf can have Minute Meteors. It's only fair.

To avoid confusion, that dork Melf should have just named them his "Mini-Meteors" and not tried to be such a smarty pants. Look at all the sibling strife this has caused Aldeth. Was it worth it, Melf? You insensitive prick?

16. Hugo Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

Well, you can also consider it "Melf meteors that last for a minute" that way.
    But I always consider it to be said mi-noot.
    I also think that contextually, that made more sense.
    :borg:

17. Rogue Paladin Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

Actually, although the word is pronounced two different ways, they basically mean the same thing in the abstract. When we are saying "minit" we are saying a bastardized version of "my-noot" that has been adapted solely for the purpose of referring to time. Secondly, "my-noot" is an adjective, while "minit" is a noun, so grammatically speaking, "minit" cannot be used to modify the word meteors. Therefore, "my-noot" is the correct pronunciation. That was the long version.

The short version is that while regular meteors are enormous, Melf's meteors are thrown by hand, so they are quite "my-noot" compared to the original. And Melf's Minute Meteors has a much better ring than Melf's Tiny Meteors, Melf's Small Meteors, or Melf's Little Burning Balls, which were all up for possible names at voting time.

18. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Media:
    Damn this is too funny.

19. Mystra's Chosen Gems: 22/31
    Latest gem: Sphene

I think our anger is directed in the wrong place. I don't think Melf should be blamed for his misdeed. What about his parents, huh? If they hadn't forgot to pick him up after casting practice that one day, this might have never happend.

DR, can you honestly blame Melf? I mean, what kind of parents name their kid "Melf"? I'll bet high school was an absolute ***** for him.

20. Rogue Paladin Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

Actually, Melf is his *last* name. His first name is Milton.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.