1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Vithal keeps dying; does anyone know why?

Discussion in 'BG2: Shadows of Amn (Classic)' started by Sprite, Jun 12, 2001.

1. Sprite Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

I'm in the main cavern of the Underdark and have just cast the Freedom scroll; Vithal appears and gives me the quest to get his Book of Rituals back. But before I can complete the quest, Vithal charges over to the nearest Earth Elemental and picks a fight so he's always dead before I get back.

I've reloaded three times and the same thing always happens. I've tried loading him up with protective spells before I leave, but that Earth Elemental does a lot of damage fast. Did anyone else have this problem, and can anyone propose a solution?

Thanks in advance, guys!

2. Kitiara Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

try sticking around longer and killing that earth elemental :)

Use some powerful weapons though.. think you need +3 weapons for those guys

[This message has been edited by Kitiara (edited June 12, 2001).]

3. Jack Funk Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

I went to each of the elemental portals and cleaned them up before casting Freedom. That takes care of most of the elementals

4. Sprite Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

Thanks for the advice- I should have mentioned, I tried that too, but the Earth Elemental I kill is immediately replaced by a very alive and uninjured one. I killed 3 in a row while my cleric healed Vithal nonstop, but in the middle of the fourth elemental Vithal got killed despite my efforts.

(This is the map where there are those portals that Earth and Air Elementals pop through unendingly- or does someone know how to make them stop?)

[This message has been edited by Sprite (edited June 12, 2001).]

5. Kitiara Gems: 14/31

hmm i cast the freedom spell at a different place or something. I cast the spell, talked to him and then you are supposed to go and get the book so he can enter those portals and then one elemental comes out of each portal. you kill them and he gives you stuff.

If you kill him he has some cool spells, i recommend saving often. He is very hard to kill.

6. Jack Funk Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

Kill the elementals before you get Vithal. Each portal will spawn multiple ones. Go to each portal, clear it of elementals, then get Vithal.

7. Kitiara Gems: 14/31

i dont think you can clear the portals.. avoid them until after you get the book. They will spawn endlessly if you dont.

8. Kidd Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

You can clear out the portals, about 10 elements in each port, good experiences.

9. Ragusa

Ragusa Eternal Halfling Paladin Veteran

Media:
    Yep, I also killed some of them before I casted freedom but it soon got dull and I stopped it. However, it´s a nice way to earn sonme xp since you have to fight for it.

10. TIN_MAN Gems: 14/31

I only cleared out the air elemental portal cause it's such a bore!
    There were about 8-10 elementals around so i suppose if you take the time to clear all of them before freeing Vithal from imprisonment you can earn about 240000 experience points. Not bad! But boring! :D

11. Spudsquisher Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

Has anyone ever used the neat helm of death thing you get from him, if you kill him? i haven't dared....

12. Balmung Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

[​IMG] Maybe you could cast Imprisonment on Vithal when the elementals appear and then free him after you kill them. Assuming you have the scrolls to do it of course...

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.