1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Virus Alert!

Discussion in 'Whatnots' started by Darien Noella, Jul 23, 2001.

1. Darien Noella Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

I've been getting spammed a LOT lately with the same email, and I just wanted to let you all know to be aware. It's been coming thru my address from this site, so anyone who has their email posted here should probably check this out.

Here's the description:

Subject: The subject of the email will be random, and will be the same as the file name of the attachment in the email.
    Message: The message body will be semi-random, but will always contain one of the following two lines (either English or Spanish) as the first and last sentences of the message.

Spanish Version:
    First line: Hola como estas ?
    Last line: Nos vemos pronto, gracias.

English Version:
    First line: Hi! How are you?
    Last line: See you later. Thanks

Between these two sentences, some of the following text may appear:

Spanish Version:
    Te mando este archivo para que me des tu punto de vista
    Espero me puedas ayudar con el archivo que te mando
    Espero te guste este archivo que te mando
    Este es el archivo con la informaci=n que me pediste

English Version:
    I send you this file in order to have your advice
    I hope you can help me with this file that I send
    I hope you like the file that I sendo you
    This is the file with the information that you ask for

Check this link for more information:
    http://www.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data/w32.sircam.worm@mm.html

[This message has been edited by Darien Noella (edited July 23, 2001).]

2. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    LOL! I figured that was what it was. I got that crap in my email too. I should have thought to ask you guys if you were getting it. I never open attachments from people I don't know, so I just deleted the messages without opening them.

Thanks for the heads up Darien :)

3. Grovflab Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

These e-mail worms....

Do you have to open the attachment to recieve the worm, or do you only have to read the mail?

4. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    My understanding is the only way to be infected via email is to open attachments.

5. Extremist Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

For all alike viruses - to activate them you have to OPEN attachment.

Now, read this. NEVER OPEN the self-executable attachment.
    Those are mostly files of type
    *.EXE
    *.COM
    *.VBS

Even if it comes from a trusted source - first ask the person from who that mail came if he/she sent it. Only then, open the attachment.

Second problem can be with zipped files, but of course, you can always see what in fact is in those files.

This mentioned virus I haven't received yet. But always keep in mind that reading the mail won't activate the virus, opening attachment will.

6. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    [​IMG] That's not 100% true. Indeed, in most cases it's running the attachment that gets you infected, but a particularly nasty virus "kak worm" can infect you just by opening the mail, i.e. reading it. It then changes your signature text so that it points into a file and every time you send a mail out, it sends a copy of itself along with the signature.

Well, actually, it's easy to spot because when you click on the Signature in Outlook Express, no signature text shows up. But you just may miss it the first time and spread it without knowing it. This happened to me a few months ago... Luckily I noticed it and removed it the same day, but still...

P.S.
    Since then my OU is configured so that all mail is just displayed with headers and opens only on double click on the header. You should set it up so too... You never even need to look at another spam, just scan the headlines and trash them before you open them. Handy.

[This message has been edited by Taluntain (edited July 23, 2001).]

7. Darien Noella Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

[​IMG] Gawd... you're not gonna believe this! A friend of mine opened the darn thing! She got it from someone she knew, and the attatchment name was some innocent looking filename, so she opened it. Then Windows froze and we couldn't open *anything* to try to fix it with either the fix tool or manually.

I know less than nothing about this sort of thing, so I hit up a couple of friends on icq, and we finally figured it out. Once we got her pc into Windows Safe Mode she ran the fix tool I had dl'd to a floppy on *my* computer. Apparently everything's ok now, and she only lost a handful of files.

God what a PITA. :mad:

8. Gormenghast Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

[​IMG] I have not recieved this e-mail yet and i hope i don't.

I think this virus has been out for a long time.
    Someone kept on sending me it and after a while it stopped.
    So i thought i wouldn't get it again but yesterday i got it!

Its a story about snow white and the seven dwarfs and its been sent from hahah@sexy.com or something like that, i am not quite sure.
    But don't open it my friend told that it was a virus, i am not sure.

Do any of you know about this virus?
    Is it a virus or is it one of those stupid chain letter thingies that goes around?

9. Kitiara Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

[​IMG] It iS A VIRUS! Dont open it.. dont you have an antivirus.. should have seen that coming

Snow White and the Deven Dwarfs
    is a virus.. has an attachment.. cant remember but is an xxx file anyhow..that is the virus. Always sent by that hahaha :mad:

10. Yarrrg! I got this yesterday (Spanish version), translated it enough to know what the message was, then passed it on to a Hispanic fellow! I hope he didn't open it.

I'm usually smarter than that. But it being in Spanish....

My trust in Latinos is shattered.

bgp

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.