1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Virtual Environment?

Discussion in 'Techno-Magic' started by Ofelix, Feb 26, 2008.

1. Ofelix

Ofelix The world changes, we do not, what irony!

Media:
    Ok, first I'm not entirely sure the name "Virtual environment" is correct. I want to play Icewind Dale I, but I just don't want to reboot each time in freakin' windows. It's been a year I've been playing around my Ubuntu and well I love it! I searched in founded that Icewind Dale can't be played through wine, meh. I also it's possible to "install" XP in a virtual environment thus allowing me to use native application without hassle. I *know* I could just reboot in XP, but I just ... don't like XP anymore.

Also, I'm not particularly founded of Gnome anymore. It's just bloated with needless information, and I've heard some good thing about Fluxbox. I assume since Ubuntu is based on Debian I can use the Debian package of Fluxbox?

2. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
  3. Disciple of The Watch

Disciple of The Watch Preparing The Coming of The New Order Veteran

Well, about damn time you see the light.

Fluxbox is relatively lightweight, but you have to get some work done to get it working - editing the menu so it contains the stuff you really want, editing a file to set up your own background.

Personally, I like Fluxbox, but Xfce has always been my favorite. And, even better, Ubuntu has been ported as Xubuntu, which includes Xfce as default XWM. You can get live CD or you can get a Debian-like alternate install. Xubuntu contains much less crap than the regular Ubuntu too, so add the reduced weight of Xfce and the reduced crap, you get significantly more juice to do stuff you really want to do. Ubuntu has also been ported with Fluxbox as Fluxbuntu, and you can get Debian with Xfce as default XWM. Should you go for Debian, go for the DVD version. It comes with GNOME by default, but you can then install Xfce and/or Fluxbox via Aptitude and remove GNOME. Debian lets you select the XWM you want to use between all of those you have installed, and you can choose to use a XWM for this session or make it default, same thing if you want to use another XWM.

http://www.xubuntu.org
    http://fluxbuntu.org
    http://www.debian.org

As for virtualizing, since IWD is not a too demanding game, you could run a virtual XP box in VMware, for example. VMware is available for Linux. Prior to playing Oblivion and stuff like that, a virtual XP box in Linux was delivering the goods just fine for me.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2008
Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.