1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Verbobonc, how to get there?

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by rover223, Aug 27, 2006.

1. rover223 Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

I know Verbobonc is part of the part 5 patch as well as the extra quests. I don't want the solves, just the starting points. How do you get to Verbobonc and begin the new quests?

thanks!

2. erkper Gems: 1/31

There are several ways into Verbobonc. Try talking to the prisoners in the Temple. Some of them may be able to help...

As far as the Verbo quests, once you're there, just talk to everyone you meet. You'll find them.

3. allyx Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

Or you could just ask me, since I made the Verbobonc mod, whether or not I'll actually tell you the answers or not remains to be seen :rolleyes:

4. Marceror

Marceror Chaos Shall Be Sown In Their Footsteps Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    And so, let me say good work Allyx!

After at least an 18 month hiatus from ToEE, I'm going through again with all the latest Co8 nuggety goodness--and there's a hell of a lot that's been added since I last played. Anyhow, I just finished (I think) the new Verbobonc material and found it quite enjoyable. I thought you did a particularly good job finding lesser used maps to stage your mod in.

Minor Spoiler Ahead

My only gripe was that after I took out all of the nephews, brothers, and their leaders, and then went back to the duke (I think that was his title) to tell him that I saved his life, I wasn't able to :/

Otherwise, this was an extremely fun new addition. It's amazing how much improvement Co8 has injected into this game over the years.

5. erkper Gems: 1/31

SPOILER ALERT!!!

Try telling him at his home at night - he won't discuss it "on the job."

6. Marceror

Marceror Chaos Shall Be Sown In Their Footsteps Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Well, it actually was night when I visited hoping to relay this important message (so he was in his home, not "the office").

This was the first time I had ever spoken to him in his home, so I'm guessing that the intent was that I would have talked to him "privately" prior to my encounter with the assistant, and that by not doing this I failed to trigger a quest.

Nevertheless, even though I hadn't ever spoken to the duke about this matter before, I managed to get the assistant guy to spill his guts about his malicious intentions--which happened right before he and his cronies attempted to take my life. Seemed like info the duke would want to know, even if I hadn't discussed it with him previously....

7. allyx Gems: 2/31

Hmmm, did you use the lastest cumulative fixes patch from Co8? I made quite a few changes to the dialogues recently, mostly fixing how these quests are triggered, talking to the Viscount (not duke :) ) in his home after accepting the quest from the assassin should botch the assassination, and accept the revenge quest.

8. Marceror

Media:
    I do have all of the lastest Co8 fixes/patches/etc. I did a completely fresh install (even wiped out my old ToEE directory after the uninstall) and was very careful to follow the recommended install path. My sense is that there’s nothing wrong with my installation.

In terms of how I specifically played through this mod, it happened over the course of 2 visits to Verbo. During the first visit I never once spoke to the assassin (the character so named on the upper floor of the inn) and I never spoke to the Viscount in his home. All conversations with him were in his hall where Jan Jansen :) and the Viscount’s aid were always nearby. I heard mention made during these conversations about mistrust of the aid, as well as the aid’s mistrust of Jan’s claims (sorry, I can’t help but call him that).

I received the quest to investigate the weather problems as well as the request to look into the Drow issue. I focused on dealing with both problems before I returned to the Viscount to give my update. The viscount was happy, as was the prince, and it was mentioned that the aid was apparently lying about some things. That’s as far as things went at that point. I didn’t think to wait until night and look for the viscount at his home for further conversation, nor did I bother to speak to the assassin. After a few miscellaneous activities (helping the viscount’s daughter to get taken off “restriction”), and giving the worshippers Hextor my best “appropriate-neutral-good-party-hello” (this means that I killed them evil bastards real dead) I departed Verbobonc.

I returned a bit later in the game and this time I did decide to find out what the story was with all the brothers, nephews, and the assassin. When I returned, I found the Viscount’s aid standing next to the assassin, so I spoke to the aid first. The aid did the typical maniacal evil guy thing by giving me a detailed description of his evil plans, you know, he’s gonna kill me anyway, so why not share. Of course, he did not kill me. So after taking their tainted trinkets and rededicating them to the cause of good, I decided that the Viscount needed to know of the fate, and the corruption, of his aid.

At this point I looked for the aid in his hall, but since it was night I didn’t find him there—this was the first time I had not found the Viscount in his hall since playing through the mod. I knew his house was just next door, so I looked for him there next. It was at that point that I intended to frantically share my tale of betrayal and treachery, as well as the ending of those evil plots, but instead, apparently unable to find the words, I greeted him more along the lines of “So hey, what’s new, pal.” To which he more or less replied, “nadda wholelotta. Just hangin’ in my house.” “Cool, later then.”

After making a few key purchases with some handy merchants, I left Verbo again.

The lack of closure wasn’t really a :( experience, or even a :/, but more of a :|

Hopefully this description is helpful, as I think some sort of dialogue string with the Viscount would have been appropriate. Anyhow, there it is.

9. allyx Gems: 2/31

Just for the record, I HATE DIALOGUE FILES, that said I'll take a look at what I can do, it seems to me that some of the triggers aren't working quite right, thanks for the bug report Marceror.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.