1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Various questions from a somewhat newbie

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by thelogicalghost, Jan 29, 2006.

1. thelogicalghost Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

[​IMG] Okay, I just recently started playing ToEE, and I very much enjoy it. The only people I can play D&D with IRL are all idiots, and it's nice to be able to control all the members in my party.

Note: I re-read this post and realized I sound like a wimp. Please do not judge me too harshly. I tend to powergame a lot until I get the feel of a game, and then I go back and take a good shot at it trying some more complicated stratagies and without twinking.

QUESTION 1: CHEAT CODES

I have to begin the first question with a confession: I am a cheat code enthusiasts. I love typing lots of cheat codes into games and then spending a relaxing couple of hours destroying everything that gets in my way. I have found the cheat code "box" (the one that comes up when you hold down Shift and then hit ~ and + simoultaneously), but I only know two cheat coades so far. I would be much indebted if someone could point me in the direction of a full list.

More importantly, there is a slight problem with the cheat codes, and I'm wondering if anyone knows a way around it. The first code I know, "levelup", stops working after 4-6 uses (depending on some unknown variable that i can't predict). Why? Is there a way around this? It wouldn't be a problem in itself - lvl 5-7 characters are still better then lvl 1 - but it becomes a problem when mixed with the second cheat code, the one which causes all the members of the party to learn all available spells. The problem occurs when this cheat code is entered, and a sorceror, wizard, or bard (cleric are exempt, and I think druids and rangers are, too) levels up. If you select them to level up in that same class, you eventually reach the section of the lvling that requires you to choose new spells for the character to learn. BUT since the character already KNOWS every spell, there is no available spell to learn, so you can't pick a spell, and you can't complete the lvling process.

This problem could be solved if I could use "levelup" to reach lvl 10, because then I wouldn't have to worry about lvling after I use the spell cheat. So, either a direct solution to the spell problem or an indirect solution via the levelup problem would take care of the whole situation.

Help? Anyone?

QUESTION 2: CONCERNING PARTY BUILDING

When I come online and read people's walkthroughs and tips and all that, everyone always talks about multiclass characters. I find it very difficult to work with multiclass characters - in fact, so far whenever I play ToEE I always use the same basic three-person party: one barbarian or fighter, one cleric, and one sorceror or wizard. I just find it extremely convinient. This guy runs in and kills stuff, this guy stays way in the back and casts spells and fires his crossbow, and this guy heals the other two and either protects the spellcaster or helps the melee guy. It makes choosing feats and spells very easy, and I never find myself wishing that I'd done something different in character building.

Granted, I've never gotten extremely far in the game - the farthest I've gotten is Nulb, and I've never been to the Temple itself, but it's not because of my party, it's just that I ran into the levelup problem (above) when I got to Nulb and had to stop to figure out what I was going to do.

So, my quesion is: if I want to try to get through the entire game just on these three basic characters (assume I'm not worried about needing extra skills to solve sidequests, and I'm willing to spend a while rolling the dice to get high stats), what kind of builds would I need?

I'm mostly worried about the cleric's domain specialities - currently I'm favoring a cleric of Pelor with Sun and Healing, since I do use Turn Undead often and I'm mostly using my cleric for healing. However, as I read more and more forums, I keep seeing lots of references to "item creation characters". Are those really so important that I need to have a fourth party member? Maybe my cleric can double as an item creation-person?

Anyway, any and all suggestions would be EXTREMELY welcome.

Thanks!!!!

2. allyx Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

Wow, long post, gimme a second or 2...

levelup - gives a certain amount of XP, if you didn't level up by entering this cheat, it simply means that you don't have enough XP to attain your next level. Typing the cheat in again (or pressing the up arrow on the directional keypad - to bring up the last entered code) will continue to give XP until you reach the max level cap (by default - 10).

allspells - really screws you up at level up time, don't use it.

give ##### - (where ##### = the number of the item (from description.mes in the rules/mes folder) that you would like to appear in your inventory (don't overfill your inventory screen).

create ##### - (where ##### = the number of the creature (from description.mes - see above) you would like to spawn - mostly used for testing, or fun.

www.co8.org - drop in, say hello, and download our latest fan fixes - version 4.0.0

3. General Ghoul Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

As mentioned above, stay away from the all spells cheat, there is no easy way around this one.

My advice would be to stay away from the healing domain. Yeah your cleric is the healer, but you can convert any of your spells to healing spells anyway, so why not try one of the other domains, anything that tickles your fancy. How about war, get a better weapon and some really cool domain spells.

On your basic builds, keep it simple is fine. Remember this game onlt offically goes to level 10, so why limit a character with light build plans you might use in NWN or IWD. Just go with a high STR and CON tank, a high WIS cleric, and either a Wiz or Soc. Skip all the NPCs as well, they mostly suck anyway. Maybe get Elmo early, then have him die unexpectantly (shed tear) then have your tank use his stuff.

Finally, yes both your cleric and Wiz/Soc need some create stuff feats. Its the only way in the game to get any good magic items. Be sure to get the Co8 patch for the extra merchant option for the masterwork items.

As for the cheat codes, I believe they are listed here on SP in the TOEE section. But with the simple tactics you mentioned, you really don't need them.

4. thelogicalghost Gems: 1/31

I figured most of that stuff out now. Thanks very much!

I just have one more problem. How do you activate metamagic feats? I can't figure out how you apply them to spells you are casting. I know "Quicken Spell" doesn't apply to sorcerer/bard spells because they're cast spontaneously, but "Maximize Spell" should still work, right?

5. wizard lover Gems: 1/31

all cheats are bad ideas(and I agree stick to singel class
    characters)

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.