1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Vampiric Sword in Ulcaster?

Discussion in 'Baldur's Gate (Classic)' started by Ironhawk Skylord, Oct 16, 2006.

1. Ironhawk Skylord

Ironhawk Skylord If a tree kills alone in the forest, does it make

Hi guys.

I have read in walkthroughs and some postings here that you get a vampiric sword from the Ghost of Ulcaster if you have the Idol of Kozah and the Ancient Armor from Firewine ruins in your inventory.

However I never got the sword even if I does what described.

Some says that Doomsayer must be killed first. I have done that.

Some says that you must have the items in your inventory the first time you talk to the Ghost of Ulcaster. I have done that.

So is this sword just a rumour? Or has any of your guys received it?

And is it dependable of patch level or if TotSC is installed?

2. Decados

Decados The Chosen One

Media:
    I believe that it was a bonus from TotSC.

3. Fly2tHeSkY

Fly2tHeSkY Southern Comfort Veteran

I believe it was in a thread here not long ago although I cannot pinpoint which one ...

4. Felinoid

Felinoid Who did the what now? ★ SPS Account Holder

It does require TotSC, yes. However, I wouldn't worry about it. At all. Because it's the crappiest weapon you can imagine. Rather than a Vampiric sword, it's a reverse-Vampiric sword, meaning on each hit it steals HP from you and gives it to the enemy you hit. :rolleyes: The suckage is immense for something with such harsh prerequisites (beating the Doomsayer to keep the idol & passing up the XP from returning the armor).

5. starwalker Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

I don't recall if you need the patches installed. others might. Been so long honestly that I don't remember playing the game without TotSC.

You need to kill the doomslayer. Without him getting to the one with the relic.

You need to get the armour and make sure you don't talk to the ghosts you need to give it to.

You can give it to the ghost of Ulcaster any time quite honestly. May have to talk to him a few times if your going to him the first time before you can hand it to him.

As others have said it's not worth getting. I think they misimplimented it or something. I really do. Your better off just plain not getting it at all.

6. Felinoid

Actually, no. Remember, it's listed as Vampire's Revenge. I don't remember if it's cursed, but I would think it is. It's designed to be crap.

7. Ironhawk Skylord

Well... is the sword at least some money worth?

Thanks guys!

8. Felinoid

Yes, it's valued at 1250, which means you could conceivably get 625 out of it (YMMV based on rep & CHA). Some FYIs:

-It is cursed, so don't put it on.
    -Despite the description, it doesn't do ANY damage to your enemy. All it does on hit is do 7 slashing damage to you, heal the thing 'hit' 7 HP, and berserk you so you'll continue attacking with it.

9. Ironhawk Skylord

Thank you very much Felinoid! :)

hmm.. 625? Better than nothing.

But it looks like a cursed item really mean business in this game!

Guess I won't be using it against Sarevok then... :D

10. Felinoid

Better than nothing perhaps, but I don't think it's better than the experience you get from handing the armor over to the ghosts. And it's certainly not worth fighting the Doomsayer over.

11. Ironhawk Skylord

@Felinoid:

I agree. IIRC it is 1500 XP for delivering the armor.

But the Doomsayer gives some nice XP too. Isn't it 4000 XP? And I have beat him before.

12. Felinoid

True, but you can still choose to fight the Doomsayer for the XP if you don't get the sword. On the other hand, to get the sword you have no choice, you have to fight. Unless, of course, you exploit the fact that it only looks for the idol in your inventory, drop it right after leaving the tomb, and just pick it back up after the Doomsayer has left.

13. Fly2tHeSkY

Fly2tHeSkY Southern Comfort Veteran

Fighting the Doomsayer is fun though, I remember it to be a real challenge on my first run through, so some people might wanna try fighting him anyways :p

I do agree though, that weapon is P A T H E T I C

14. Ironhawk Skylord

@Felinoid:

Oh I agree, freedom of choice is always nice. And I wasn't aware of the exploit, thanks! :)

@Silvershield:

I still find him quite a hand full, he is easier though if I dispel his Blur effects. :) And those 4000 XP is really nice to get in that part of the game. :)

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.