1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Valentine's Day

Discussion in 'Whatnots' started by Intentioner of the Damned, Feb 14, 2003.

1. Intentioner of the Damned Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

So, anyone else here share my opinion that Valentine's Day is a day where shops can charge more for stuff, couples go out and gloat and singles sit about and mope?

I fit into the mope catagory. Yey for me.

No doubt, those of you that are attatched will think otherwise.

[edit: i should have done this as a poll. Oh well]

[ February 14, 2003, 23:06: Message edited by: Taluntain ]

2. Elios Gems: 17/31
    Latest gem: Star Diopside

Just another Halmark Holiday.
    Thank god my wife doesn't like diamonds. All she asked for was for me to cook her a nice dinner. Phew.
    Does anyone out there know how Valentince's day actually started? Hmmmm?

3. Z-Layrex Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

Yep, i'm a moper too. I'm one of the many without :love: .

Elios, I think it was invented by Card companies or something like that...

[ February 14, 2003, 11:32: Message edited by: Z-Layrex ]

4. Master of Nuhn

Master of Nuhn Wear it like a crown Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    I got some cards today! Wheee! But I rather got them on a regular day. Valentine's Day is just an other way to make money. It's the mob who tells you to buy stuff for Valentine. I don't don't do it. If I have a special feeling for someone, then I buy her some stuff on a regular day: Less expacted, Best Impression.

I have to admit that I like to have these cards today though. :)

Edit:
    Google tells: This day of romance has roots in several different legends that have found their way to us through the ages. One legend goes that the Romans threw a priest named Valentine in prison for his teachings. On February 14, Valentine was beheaded not only because he was Christian, but also because he had supposedly cured the jailer's daughter of her blindness. The night before he was executed he wrote her a farewell letter, signing it "From Your Valentine."
    Another legend has it that Valentine was an Italian bishop who lived about the same time as the priest Valentine. He was imprisoned because he secretly married couples, against the laws of the Roman emperor. He was burned at the stake.

An other comment: "Valentine's Day is the day that you tell someone that you love him/her."
    Why only on Valentine's Day??

[ February 14, 2003, 11:56: Message edited by: Master of Nuhn ]

5. Faded Gems: 11/31
    Latest gem: Bloodstone

I usually spend the day boosting the revenues of local flower peddlers, but other than that there will be no presents and no cards. (And I think my girlfriend would lecture me on 'the horrors of capitalism' and 'we must never blindly follow the path of least resistance' if I did, and frankly, I'm not sure I would survive that).

There will be flowers, wine and some serious gloating. :evil: ;) (j/k)

:hippy:

[ February 14, 2003, 12:16: Message edited by: Faded ]

6. Viking Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

I think my grilfriend got it right:

When I got out of the shower this morning, there was a card and an packet of Rollos with just the last one in it waiting on my pillow...

Very nice! :love:

7. Eze Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

I'm the moper and that's the way I like it. No need to do useless gifts. Only thing I gave was a self-made card with 9 Nazgul on it for my bestfriend. :D

8. Dragon's Jewel Gems: 14/31

I'm neither a moper or a celebrater. I really could give two flips anymore. I bought myself some cheap roses yesterday ($5 for 18 of them, I love working at the grocery store) and I'm going to buy my mom a bottle of wine and call it a day. I think the idea is kinda sweet, but it places too much emphasis on having a significant other, and to be frank, I've never had a significant other on Valentine's Day.

9. Rallymama Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Media:
    I'm happily attached but still of the mind that Valentine's Day is an occcession for raising prices on sentimental trinkets. Velcro has told me many times that I can expect flowers on any day of the year EXCEPT V-day! ;)

I did send out a bunch of cards, mostly signed from my son. Grandparents and aunts like that sort of thing.

10. Foradasthar Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

Here in Finland Valentine's day hasn't even got anything to do with the traditional lover's day as it does in the US for example. Here it's just something to remind you of your friends. So, I can't really relate.

11. chevalier

chevalier Knight of Everfull Chalice ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    @Rallymama: V-day sounds like D-day ;)

@Intentioner, Z-Layrex: Mope as well, count me in. This very day evening I'll be drinking over my abstinent friend's birthday with only another guy. A bottle or two for the Lovers Day. Then probably joining another group of my friends at the party in some banana club. Watching joyful aloof pairs and drinking again. Marvellous, isn't it?

Anyone noticed St.Valentine is the patron of those in love and the psychically ill? :)

12. Loerand

Loerand My heart holds no fear for death

I'm without :love: too, so I better play BG2 tonight. Or maybe someone come over ;)

13. Arabwel

Arabwel Screaming towards Apotheosis Veteran

Media:
    In the lovey dovey sense, I am in the mope gategory. The guy I have a crus on has a crush on my preppie "friend" who has a crush on another guy, who has a crush on my devoted christian/hippie friend, who apparently might have a crush on another guy, who has a crush onmy PREPPI friend.... Can we say no happy couples?

I also celebrate today in the friends sense, seeing as I am a Finn, and thusly, I give a MASSIVE HUG to all of you here in SP... you are the coolest :)

(you know who... the valentineless)

14. Faragon Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

Veteran

I don't particularly care about Valentine's Day. I'm not currently in a relationship, so that makes it nothing important for me, but even if I were, I wouldn't do anything special about it. I will love the person as much as normal, and I prefer surprising my loved one with extra attention/gifts instead of doing it on a set day.

15. Khelben Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

Another moper here...

16. Wordplay Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

And yet another, maybe. Argh! Can´t decide if I should stay at home and sleep well, or get to a nightclub and meet people. You know, I bet my valentine day´s :love: girl :love: is just waiting there...

*Taps fingers* -15 C + 3 km... Yeah, I´m a bit lazy. Someone give me a good kick right now!

[ February 14, 2003, 20:50: Message edited by: Virne ]

17. Rallymama Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Media:
    One size 41 boot to the butt, coming right up!

Get movin', already! :)

18. Fin Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

I've only ever celebrated Valentine's day in the friend sense, we might get each other sweets or drinks and hang out that night, talk about the good times, play some soccer or foosball. I'm a nomadic sort, going to a school where people come and go every year, so we make the best out of it and celebrate.

19. Ancalìmon Gems: 14/31

Valentine's day is commmercial crap!

20. Master of Nuhn

Master of Nuhn Wear it like a crown Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Hail Velcro!!

You're not gonna tell me you agree with me AGAIN, now are you, Faragon? ;)

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.