1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

V for Vendetta?

Discussion in 'Sensorium' started by Dragon's Jewel, Mar 23, 2006.

1. Dragon's Jewel Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

Has anyone here seen this movie? We're going to see it tomorrow, and I'm *so* excited about it-I'm just hoping that I don't end up disappointed 'cause that would really suck. So any opinions?

2. Death Rabbit

Death Rabbit Straight, no chaser Adored Veteran Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    I've heard nothing but excellent things. I'm seeing it on Saturday.

3. DarkStrider

DarkStrider I've seen the future and it has seen me Distinguished Member

I've only heard good things, except for one person who whinged "It's not as good as the graphic novel" hopefully seeing it this weekend as well.

4. AMaster Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Media:
    I just got back from seeing it, and it's quite good. I dunno what Alan Moore was thinking when he disowned the project.

It's so much better than the last two Matrix films that I actually have hope the Wachowski brothers will continue to produce entertaining films.

Also, Natalie Portman has apparently become a bona fide actress; she gives an impressive performance.

5. Alavin

Alavin If I wanted your view, I'd read your entrails Veteran

Very good film. Natalie Portman's accent was a little weird, but I suppose if it wasn't my own accent she was attempting, I wouldn't have noticed. The plot was perhaps a little predictable, and I felt moments of disgust regarding the hero, but that was entirely the point. Probably the best film I've seen this year.

6. Aikanaro Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

I believe he disowned it because it's not the same story that he told, and doesn't have the same message. But I haven't seen it yet (nor read the comics, for that matter).

7. Zarakinthish Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

[​IMG] I wasn't sure what to expect, but the quote from the movie preview ("People should not be afraid of their government; government should be afraid of it's people.") gave me good vibes. Turned out my impression from that quote was correct. Excellent movie. I highly recommend it.

8. Saber

Saber A revolution without dancing is not worth having! Veteran

I'm seeing it on Sunday, I'll let you know then :)

9. Enagonios Gems: 31/31

I loved the comic. I'll give my feedback on the movie after I see it. My brother loved it though.

10. Iku-Turso Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Media:
    Just saw it last night and I was pretty impressed how it turned out to be quite loyal (enough) to the comic book.

One of the best comic book adaptations so far IMO. And Hugo Weaving is quite the actor. Love the voice! He stole the show in the Matrix-movies and did the same in this one as well..in a very good way of course.

11. Saber

I thought it was very good. 'Specially his alliteration at the beginning :) Must've been tough to write... finding and using all of the words that begin with V in one monologue that actually made sense.

No, but it is very clever, and has a nice message. I hope you enjoy it :)

12. DarkStrider

I saw this yesterday, I'd been looking forward to it for some time not only because it is one of my favourite graphic novels by Alan Moore but also because I lived and worked in the Thatcher years which V is an extrapolation of. Fantastic film great performances by Weaving and Rea as the cop and great support from Fry and Pigott-Smith. I thoroughly enjoyed it (it was also nice to see Portman in a role where she had to act, unlike Star Wars).

13. Saber

Weaving did a great job, yes, and Rea was very good. Portman did a nice job, but I am still a little wary on deciding whether or not she is a good actress. There were a few parts that she seemed to Amidala-ish to me.

14. Beren

Beren Lovesick and Lonely Wanderer Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    I definitely enjoyed watching it. Sometimes movies about rising against a dictatorship can get cliched and tired. Here however it succeeded in being quite moving.

Very intelligent in its content too. The exploration of V's methods raises some pretty thoughtful questions about how far one can go in the fight for freedom before you yourself betray the very ideal of freedom as well.

15. Saber

Although, it does sort of argue the question of whether Guy Fawkes plot was justified. Er... was it? Last time I checked, I thought it was good that he didn't? Perhaps I'm wrong, I studied that a few months ago, and forget.

I loved how John Hurt played Sutler, the evil, big-brother-esqe dictator, and in 1984, he played Winston... reversed roles in similar situations... :D I liked that.

I also liked how in one of the fight scenes, you can see the trail of the blades. Transparent blade trails are cool :p

[ March 30, 2006, 01:29: Message edited by: Saber ]

16. DarkStrider

@Saber it's not arguing that the Fawkes plot was right, but that we have forgotten the significance of November 5th and why we celebrate it. As for the plot itself no it wasn't a good idea if it had succeeded the resultant backlash against the minority catholic population would have been catastrophic bordering on genocidal.

As an interesting footnote there was a programme recently that tried to find out if the explosion would have been enough to kill the king and his advisors etc. They built a replica and used 36 barrels of gunpowder as Fawkes planned, oh yeah it would have worked.

17. Dragon's Jewel Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

So we saw it, obviously, and it has to be one of the greatest movies ever.
    Well.
    That I've seen *recently*.
    The point it, we loved it. I really felt that Natalie Portman could be a great actress if she really tried, and I think she's getting there-and honestly, not that many women would look good with a shaved head. ( Not *me*.)
    And Hugo Weaving - lordy. A really excellent performance and it really felt, towards the end, as if the mask wasn't even there; you could hear Hugo Weaving talking and really see the emotions he was expressing even without seeing his face.
    And the message of the movie was amazing, but the reason I'm going on and on about the cast is because I think it's a message that's very easily corrupted or made humourous or lost by the wrong cast. I've never read the graphic novels, but I'm torn between wanting to read them now and not wanting to jump on the bandwagon.

[ April 02, 2006, 06:58: Message edited by: Dragon's Jewel ]

18. Kitrax

Kitrax Pantaloons are supposed to go where!?!?

Media:
    I just won two tickets to see V for Vendetta. :banana:

I don't know when we'll be able to go see it though. This week is getting rather busy .

Yay for winning stuff! :banana: :rolling:

19. DarkStrider

@Kitrax congrats and enjoy

@Dragon's Jewel yes the cast do carry the message very well and I would read the graphic novel, I did many years and understood why Alan Moore wrote it, I had some of the same fears about where the UK was heading at that time.

20. Aikanaro Gems: 31/31

Excellent movie - it encourages thinking, like any good dystopia.

After coming out of it, I caught the bus across to Queen Street Mall and bought myself a copy of the graphic novel and spent the rest of the afternoon reading that. The message is a whole lot stronger in it than the movie, and I can see why Alan Moore is annoyed in it being watered down.

I need to get more into comics...

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.