1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Using the second 5.25" bay on a Gateway 4200DX

Discussion in 'Techno-Magic' started by SlickRCBD, Jun 26, 2013.

1. SlickRCBD Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Resourceful Adored Veteran

Media:
    Pictures of the computer in question
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/10736018@N05/sets/72157634347088852/

I'd like to install a second CD/DVD-RW on my most current computer, a Gateway 4200DX. I've taken a suitable drive from somebody else's broken computer before they put it on the curb.

The problem is, there's this metal plate blocking the front of the lower 5.25" bay. It has a screw hole to secure a CD-ROM, and the bezel is clearly designed to accommodate a second CD-ROM (should have shown a photo of it, maybe I'll add one later and edit this post), but I can't figure out how to get that metal cover off.

Is anybody familiar with this model of Gateway computers and able to tell me how to remove that metal thing?

I apologize for the poor quality of the photos with the flash lighting. This was a new phone given to me as a birthday present in February and I haven't played with the camera much, but it's not like I can use my old phone easily. If this isn't the best place, could somebody recommend a good forum? I used to goto Usenet for this kind of thing, but Comcast dropped Usenet years ago and Google Groups is frustrating for finding the right usenet group. I miss DejaNews. I also apologize for defaulting to "CD-ROM" when I should be using the modern term "Optical Drive". I've been doing upgrades like this since I was in 5th grade back in 1990 and sometimes I tend to use archaic terms. Back then there was no such thing as a CD-R, let alone a DVD-RAM or Blu-Ray.

2. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Stick a screwdriver through one of the holes and twist it up and down until it breaks off. Notice how it is only attached to the chassis with two small metal tabs, one on each side? Those are meant to be stress fractured and broken to remove the grate.

3. henkie

henkie Hammertime Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    Well, if it isn't attached by clips or screws, you could always try to remove it using something like a dremel, or some other form of abbrasive tool (don't know the proper english term for it, I'm afraid).

Alternatively, there's the saying that with everything fits with a hammer.

4. SlickRCBD Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Resourceful Adored Veteran

Media:
    The first thing I tried was applying a little pressure with a screwdriver to that little "grip" thing, it is the reason it isn't smooth anymore. The slight distortion is from the screwdriver.
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/1073601...57634347088852
    I was afraid if I used too much elbow grease, I'd break something and then be unable to remove it the proper way.

So, you're saying I should just brute force it out?

Most of the cases I've seen that have something like that, the cover is fairly easy to remove. It pops right out, or you lift it and it snaps or slides out. This one doesn't budge.

Guess I need to use the Force: Brute Force.

5. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Yes. Force. I have experience with cases that are built like that. As long as like I said (and it looks from the pictures you posted) the grate is connected to the chassis with two small tabs of metal, one on each side.

Twist the grate around those tabs until they stress fracture however you feel best. I've had good success with a screwdriver through the holes. :)

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.