1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Use of the word "women" on the internet

Discussion in 'Whatnots' started by Ironbeard, May 9, 2003.

1. Ironbeard Gems: 20/31
    Latest gem: Garnet

For some reason I keep noticing when people on the internet say "a women" when I would expect to see "a woman". If this were a simple typo, I would expect to see people saying "a men" instead of "a man" just as frequently, but I don't. Is there some kind of PC-reason for this that I'm missing?

2. Sir Belisarius

Sir Belisarius Viconia's Boy Toy Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder

Media:
    [​IMG] Women is plural...More than one

Woman is singular...One

Probably typos.

3. Iago Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

My guess is, as non English-speaker, I make this mistake often.

man -> men
    woman -> women

That's a pretty difficult rule to always remember and never to confuse, when your own language builds the plural in case in a different way, I guess that's nearly all others languages. And it's an exception from the usual way that in western languages the plural is build -> mans, womans

4. chevalier

chevalier Knight of Everfull Chalice ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    Irregular plural seems difficult in English probably because it's so unusual - not like in the languages where you have multiple declinational patterns. Another example is plural adjectives. They're only put in plural when their function in the sentence is that of a noun ;)

You should also remember that native speakers are hooked on phonics and need a special reflex roll to spell correctly.

5. Ironbeard Gems: 20/31
    Latest gem: Garnet

I'd think it was a typo, or confusion by non-English speakers - but I can't remember seeing the same mistake made with man/men. Maybe it's just that people spot and correct typos in short words more often.

6. Shell

Shell Awww, come and give me a big hug!

Media:
    Maybe it's just that alot of people can't spell :)

7. Iago Gems: 24/31

Earlier, I used to think, correct singular would be:

man
    women

8. ejsmith Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

Now, the real question is when does it stop being just poor english, and turn into Engrish?

I think there needs to be a list made, and once a sentence or paragraph hits so many items on the list, it is defined as "Engrish".

I want a bumper sticker that says "Engrish 4 Life".

9. SoCo Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

[​IMG] Yeah English is one of the hardest langauges. All that grammer rules and expections. Its Not as striaght out as other languages.

10. Shell

Shell Awww, come and give me a big hug!

Media:
    As Something Corporate perfectly illustrates :) ;)

11. Eze Gems: 24/31

Estonian is hard. Try learning that.

English isn't that hard for me. It's like a natural to me. Kinda.

12. Charlie Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

English is one of the hardest languages to learn. Some problematic issues are the incredible number of tenses (past participle, present perfect) and different rules for pluralization (mouse, mice; house, houses). Even adjectives require an order. For example: It is a big red house. In other languages, you can switch the order of 'big' and 'red.' In English, "It is a red big house," would be wrong. One learns English by speaking and reading it often. Someone proficient in English can tell if there is something wrong even in the sentence or phrase seems correct.

13. Iago Gems: 24/31

Charlie, I would really argue that point you made. Yes, there are a lot of traps and tricks in English. But every language has a lot of traps and tricks. A not mother tongue speaker of English will always have problems with the fine finesses of English. But the same happens in other languages. I personally know no other language than English, which can be learned so fast. Or on the other way around: People here usually learn: German, French, Italian, Spanish and English. All other languages except English, take a whole lot of time to even get on a level, where someone actually is able to take part in a conversation. I think it's fair to say, that it approx. needs 3 times the effort in time and work, that it needs to learn English.

The one with the red, big house is a minor problem. Master the own language, is something that takes a lot of effort itself, mastering a foreign language, is something which is studied on an university.

14. Charlie Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

I never said that English was the hardest. Check my post. At any rate, French, Italian, German and Spanish are similar in sentence structure. IIRC, they are all Romance languages. My French teacher in university spoke all of them. Perhaps we can make a poll to see what language is difficult to learn.

It may be minor but it will still be wrong and mastering a language is best done in the country where it is widely spoken.

15. Iago Gems: 24/31

Ooops, yes, that's true. I was focussing on "learning".

16. BigStick Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

I believe that one of the reasons that English is so difficult is the abundance of borrowing that has taken place over the years. There are words that are descendents and/or bastardizations of many, many other languages mixed into English, sometimes in combination. Source langauges that come to mind are: Latin, Greek, French, Spanish, Russian, Native American, Yiddish, German, and Italian. That's off the top of my head.

I think that this explains a lot of the exceptions that are found in the language. The intermingling of the rules of various languages has produced and real mess! :) It also explains some of the differences between American English and British English.

I'm sure that other languages have gone through a similar evolution, but has it been done to the same extent?

FYI - I am fluent only in English, but studied French in school and have married into a first generation Mexican family.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.