1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

USA gone mad?

Discussion in 'Alley of Dangerous Angles' started by Mr Writer, Aug 8, 2002.

1. Mr Writer Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

I know security is tight even nearly a year after 11/9 but surely things are going to far, anyone would thinks its an Al'Quida Jo

2. Lazy Bonzo Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

[​IMG] :rolleyes: :eek: OMG! :eek: :rolleyes:

I know that's probably spam but that's really all i can say after having read that.

3. Methylviolet Gems: 8/31

Yeah, OK -- perhaps they were slightly overzealous. But I'll *take* it. Do you know that I flew into LAX on July 5th, so as I walked from the gate to the baggage buffet I got to see, everywhere I looked, banner headlines about the shooting there at LAX the previous day? Yikes!

I don't agree with a suspension of civil liberties and due process of law for anyone suspected of terrorism. I don't agree with massive intrusions of government into people's privacy -- or their tax dollars, for some huge military buildup. But! In this climate of fear, particularly at LAX or DC airports, not being able to carry on your GI joe doll is pretty small potatoes.

Big whoop. Poor her.

4. Nobleman Gems: 27/31
    Latest gem: Emerald

[​IMG] A good thing they didn't arrest Judy Powell for kidnapping american soldiers...
    Anyway whats up with the Alien mother ship approaching the White House? :shake:

[ August 09, 2002, 11:18: Message edited by: Nobleman ]

5. SlimShogun Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

[​IMG] Mr. Writer, what happened on the 9th of November?

Wait - in the UK, is the date switched around compared to the good ole US?

6. Morgoth

Morgoth La lune ne garde aucune rancune Veteran

Media:
    Maybe that old lady wanted to seize the plane fly it in direction of Bush and crash it on his head (A lot of people want to crash someting of hundred tons and going with an minimum speed of 250mph on Bush´s head, including me. :eek: )

Well it could right?? RIGHT?? Or am I just being paranoid?

Paranoid Morgoth! Well...not really paranoid since terrorists really come, oh yeah!

:coffee:

7. Yerril Gems: 22/31
    Latest gem: Sphene

[​IMG] If you let her off, why not let the machine-gun toting maniac off? Where do you stop? Where is the border between something that could somehow be used to cause harm to another person, and something that is harmless? No-one knows! The only way we can be absoloutely sure is by being paranoid. It may cause a few kerfluffles with GI Joe, but at least jumbo jets aren't being flown into buildings.

8. Mr Writer Gems: 8/31

Yerril are you feeling ok or has the propagnda got to you. Ok let me go nice and slow

ITS A CHILDRENS TOY, THE ACTUAL DOLL DOES MORE HARM THAN THE GUN WHICH IT MADE OF SUCH THIN PLASTIC IT BENDS

Its about 2 freaking inch long.

And while they are arguing over a small toy whos stoping the real terrorists?

And I know you dont think much of the terrorists intelligence but who would try taking over a plane with a childs toy. Small soliders isnt real.

[ August 09, 2002, 13:38: Message edited by: Mr Writer ]

9. Ragusa

Ragusa Eternal Halfling Paladin Veteran

Media:
    [​IMG] I wonder how long it might take till someone gets shot because of weilding an umbrella - in a threatening way. Actually the wonderful thing for a bored paranoid is that he can be suspicious about everything since about everything can be used as a weapon :rolleyes: And even if someone's totally unarmed - maybe he can karate ...

The more I think about it the less safe I feel. I think the US Customs should examine every traveller extensively and closely ... hidden bombs in the teeth, 12 gauge shotguns hidden in the innards :eek: ugh ... you never know ... and because of karate - general hands inspection ... :toofar: ... and if there is any doubt - shoot first, ask later, better safe than sorry :rolleyes:

[ August 09, 2002, 13:45: Message edited by: Ragusa ]

10. Oaz Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

You know, some here are right about the thought that confiscating a toy, 2-inch gun is utter idiocy and that it does not help fight terrorism. However, the spokesperson stated that they were supposed to confiscate anything that looks like a weapon or replica of it. Maybe that's what the security staff were taught to do. Maybe that's what their jobs required them to do and they did it. Still, it doesn't make this situation any less idiotic, but maybe the staff was just trying to follow directions from a crazier person from above.

By the way, Mr Writer, it is possible for a 2-inch tube or whatever, to fire bullets. Before WW2, the British made a "cigarette" that could fire a single bullet. Later, the KGB made a lipstick tube called "The Kiss of Death", which was also capable of firing a single bullet.

[ August 09, 2002, 15:50: Message edited by: C'Jakob ]

11. Morgoth

Morgoth La lune ne garde aucune rancune Veteran

Media:
    Wow, gotta eat something and you´ll blow yourself to pieces :grin:

Played a bit too much Grim Fandango eh?

Oh, and Mr. Writer, relax will ya (You´re :aaa: scaring me)

:coffee:

12. Ragusa

Ragusa Eternal Halfling Paladin Veteran

Media:
    Private security personell is always a little bit ... how shall I say ... they remind me of well or less well trained dogs - they are limited in their independent choices and thoughts.

- my polemic, insulting and totally subjective opinion -

13. Jack Funk Gems: 24/31

Yes, Mr. Writer, the US has gone mad. It is a reaction to 3000 people being murdered. Are they being overzealous? Yes. Is it inconvenient for travelers? Perhaps.
    My guess is, if someone had flown jets into buildings in London, rather than in New York and Washington D.C., that the UK would be going mad right now.
    Would you like to honestly discuss how the UK deals with terrorists (such as the IRA)? Would you? I doubt it.

14. the god Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

[​IMG] the american way of writing dates makes much less sense than the british way, progressing from small to larger time unit (day/month/year).

saying that though, maybe this date switching was carried out on purpose, in advance, to coincide with the phone number you need to dial for US emergency services? :alien: :alien: :alien: :1eye: :1eye: is it all a big conspiracy, did someone know about september the 11th?

something that's been annoying me for a while now is film trailers, which are dropping the 'Xst, Xnd, Xrd and Xth' from release dates ("...released August Nine"). is hollywood trying to undermine 'date literacy'? :grin:

15. ArtEChoke Gems: 17/31
    Latest gem: Star Diopside

Ok for starters, I don't believe that news story to be true. Its a great story, however, there's no source to the news (where did it come from), no title, and when I searched around for it online, I came up with nothing relating to security at an airport confiscating a 2 inch plastic toy gun.

However, whether I'm right or wrong about the validity of that article, amidst searching for it I found this one, from CNN:

http://www.cnn.com/2002/US/08/08/airport.breastmilk.ap/index.html

Words don't convey...

16. Mr Writer Gems: 8/31

Yes we would, so would any contry in the world but some things people forget is, smokeing kills far far far more than that every month and puts extream preasure on any health service, if all the money that has been spent on september the 11th was spend on stoping people smoking your contry would be far better off. The same for car crashes.

To the people mentioning about how 2inch tubes etc can fire bullets, it would make sense to confiscate such items, but this is a very thin (it can easily bend) peice of sollid plastic, even in the hands of a highly trained assisin his shoes can do more damage, and ok if they were following orders doesnt it worrie you that such incompetant people are in charge of your security?

Fine then, come on. We have made many mistakes over the years of terror we have faced, (Birmingham six, bloody sunday anyone) since the 70's (maybe im a bit off on my dates) we have been subjected to constant bomb threats etc, its only in the last few years things have clamed down. But I do think we have handled things better than the USA. I would go into greater detail but im not sure how intrested people here are and how straight my facts are, but I do know we havent killed more Innocent Irsish people in 20 odd years than the USA has killed innocent Afgans in less than 1.

Oh and morgoth, im sorry for scareing you its just things like this make my blood boil :(

17. Jack Funk Gems: 24/31

Mr. Writer,
    In the interest of full disclosure, I must state that my mother is from Ireland and I don't buy the English stance on their continued presence there.

The English occupation of Ireland can be traced back to Cromwell (that's 800 years, not 20). The IRA has been active a LOT longer than 20 years, and since England is not open about disclosing the number of "innocent Irish" that they have killed, your statement cannot be conclusively proven.

Edit: I removed my comments about the Bloody Sunday of 72 after rereading your comments.

Back on topic:
    I agree with you that confiscating the tiny plastic gun is absurd. The airport security people are being overzealous in a lot of ways (see the breast milk story). I believe that what we are witnessing is a typical human overreaction to a situation where immediate and drastic change is required. Often, the pendulum swings to the extremes before it balance itself out. Eventually, (hopefully) this kind of stuff will stop and airport security will be effective without being overzealous.

[ August 09, 2002, 18:15: Message edited by: Jack Funk ]

18. joacqin

joacqin Confused Jerk Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Jack Funk, 3000 people died 9/11. Atleast 10,000 afgani children has died in US retaliation attacks 'against' the al qaida network (I am counting very low here because I am not completely sure of the number I read but thats a low estimate so I am not blamed for exaggerating). Dont you think that should satisfy the american thirst for blood and vengeance?

(Edit for Jack, unfortunately I have no confirmation on these numbers as I read them in my local newspaper quite some time ago. But it isnt the big deal that you are making it into, people do die in wars. Even children, sad but true. I was just pointing out that even though the 3000 victims of 9/11 are a terrible tragedy it is still dwarfed if compared to what the people that harboured the leader of the lunatics that flew those planes have suffered.)

But back on subject, I know alot about silly rules and if you as a security personell has orders to confiscate anything looking like a weapon you sure as hell do it. You never know when some idiotic boss gives you shit for bending the rules for some trivial little thing.

[ August 09, 2002, 19:26: Message edited by: joacqin ]

19. Jack Funk Gems: 24/31

At least 10000 afghan children have been killed? Is that right? I must insist that you provide proof of that statement. Some link (or links) perhaps? Why isn't the UN up in arms? Or your country perhaps?
    If this is true (prove it), I will immediately contact every government official from the mayor of my city to the president decrying these war crimes.

20. Mr Writer Gems: 8/31

2,000 afgans in a village were killed when a US bomber acidently dropped a bomb. How you can acidently drop a bomb i dont know, it was all over the news over here, but seeing as the USA was in a state of war it would have been censored

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.