1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

US - 'Out of Market' Subscription

Discussion in 'Colosseum' started by Barmy Army, Jan 30, 2013.

1. Barmy Army

Barmy Army Simple mind, simple pleasures... Adored Veteran

Media:
    Hi my Yankerican buddies. Wondering if you guys can help me. I've just subscribed to the NHL Gamecenter Live (because I'm fed up of digging all around the internet to find a crappy quality and highly illegal stream). I notice it says that the games shown on it are the 'out of market' ones. In the UK we don't have this stuff, so I investigated what it meant... Apparently it means that people who can not see the game on their local TV channels, will be able to watch the game on there, but they will NOT be able to watch it on there if it's being shown on their local TV.

To me, living in the UK, will this mean that I will be able to watch EVERY game on there, seeing as no NHL games are shown on TV in the UK? I hope so - it's really good value if so.

Thanks for your help.

Last edited: Jan 30, 2013
  2. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    From what I can tell from the website, out-of-market only applies to the live games, you can watch any game on replay after the game is over.

And I would guess that yes, since your IP address location will not be anywhere in the US, you would not have any blackouts of the live games.

3. Barmy Army

Media:
    I do hope you're right. I've paid $49.99, or about £32 or so, for all games, all season in that case. Good value in my book (only slight concern is that I will want to watch quite a few games at work, and I think our internet bounces off a proxy in the US, so may show a US IP, but I'm not totally sure how it works). I've just watched Caps vs Sens and the stream quality, and tools available during, pretty awesome.

I find the 'blackout' situation over there highly strange though.

4. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    I believe it's just a way to protect the local markets and the commercial revenue that goes along with the game broadcast. If the locals don't have to watch the local channel to get their game fix, the commercial time won't be worth as much to the advertisers.

5. Barmy Army

Media:
    Couldn't they just make channels national instead? More commercial value, no blackouts.

6. Blackthorne TA

Media:
    I don't pretend to know the TV business, so I could only guess, but not all commercials are national, some are for local businesses.

7. Beren

Beren Lovesick and Lonely Wanderer Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Another thing to understand is that, much more so than other big league sports, the NHL is dependent on ticket sales for financial viability. Baseball and NBA, at least as I can understand it, can much better weather lower ticket sales in comparison to the NHL because of the massive major network TV deals. NHL has things going on in TSN, Sportsnet, and CBC on Saturdays, but good luck competing with Monday Night football and such.

Some NHL teams are guaranteed profitable because they're in places like Toronto, Vancouver, Montreal, and even Edmonton (smaller by comparison) for that matter. Others are struggling mightily and bleed financially in places like Columbus and Phoenix because they struggle with ticket sales for lack of a comparable fan base. This was part of the background behind the protacted lockout.

NHL revenue is much more joined at the hip to ticket sales, hence the blackouts.

8. Barmy Army

Media:
    Impressed with NHL Gamecenter Live though. Unimpressed with Caps!

9. Gaear

Gaear ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful

Media:
    They do it in the NFL too though. If your team doesn't sell out the stadium on Sunday, you won't be watching at home.

10. Barmy Army

Media:
    Thing is, if they use a blackout all it does is force people to find other ways to watch the game (which there are), meaning they lose both ways. I think it's a pretty out-dated model.

11. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Aldeth the Foppish Idiot Armed with My Mallet O' Thinking Veteran

Media:
    As Gaear mentioned, all nationally broadcast sports leagues do this - not just the NHL. It's because the leagues have deals in place with national TV stations, but since many of the games are played at the same time, there needs to be different broadcasts in different areas to maximize the number of people who tune in.

I'll use the example of the NFL Sunday Ticket, as that's the only subsrciption based sports programming I pay for. I get to watch all the games on the NFL Sunday Ticket except the games carried by the local affiliate. Because I live in the Baltimore area, there are two "local" games - the Baltimore Ravens and Washington Redskins. And if you try to pull those games in using the Sunday Ticket, it will say the game is blacked out. However, in those situations, since they are on the local affiliate, you can still watch those games - just on a different station.

Typically blackout rules only apply to very specific areas - not the entire area where the game is being broadcast. I grew up in north central Pennsylvania - a couple of hundred miles away from both Pittsburgh and Philadelphia - the two "local" sports markets. We were outside the blackout zone so we always were able to get the broadcast even if the game didn't sell out. The larger point here is the UK isn't a local market to any North American sports franchise, so yes, you should get all the games.

12. Gaear

Gaear ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful

Media:
    Baseball seems a bit different though. For example, the local Fox Sports affiliate (a standard cable channel, not premium) broadcasts basically all the games here, and they air to everybody whether the games sell out or not. Of course there are 81 of those instead of 8. ;)

13. Barmy Army

Media:
    It's still an outdated system :p. You could just find a stream on the internet, or maybe even use an online proxy to mask your locality to fool the NHL Gamecenter site into thinking you're not in the blackout zone. Do that with your laptop via HDMI or on your HTPC, and you can watch it on your big telly. I definitely think they need to modernize it a bit to keep their profits avenues going, as I don't think this blackout system will work much longer once people wise up.

Main point of the thread though, it's retardedly good value for me over here :). Stream quality is HD, with slow-mo, rewind, fast forward, replay parts of the action and all sorts... best I've seen. For £30 for all the seasons games, you can't go wrong. Bravo NHL. Shame jerseys and stuff is so expensive though and looking at the site, they only deliver to US/Canada. There are 'mail couriers' I could use I guess, but I bet there are cheaper ways over there to buy the merch rather than directly from NHL, right? $130 for a single jersey is daylight robbery.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.