1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

US Congress Given Lowest Ethics Rating

Discussion in 'Alley of Lingering Sighs' started by Blackthorne TA, Dec 12, 2011.

1. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    By large majority of Americans according to latest Gallup poll

Just look at that trend since 2004! ~40% increase in 7 years!

I bet if those polled were asked about their own congresspeople rather than Congress in general they would have gotten much better ratings. Otherwise it makes no sense that the same bozos keep getting elected...

2. The Great Snook Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Adored Veteran

Media:
    I think that is because it is easier to dislike an entity then it is to dislike a person.

3. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Aldeth the Foppish Idiot Armed with My Mallet O' Thinking Veteran

Media:
    I agree Snook - and there also has been a general trend towards disliking Congress more and more in recent years. They've repeatedly been getting lower and lower approval ratings. It seems like every few months over the past 10 years you see a new poll that shows "lowest approval rating for Congress" ever.

4. Gaear

Gaear ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful

Media:
    I think the ideology gap is widening (and I don't mean between the haves and have nots or republicans and democrats). Congressmen and women of either/any stripe are increasingly 'them' instead of 'us,' and that's not just a problem with perception. If you ever hang around them you see that they're very much like a different species ('natural' phony smiles, instinctive gladhandling, reflexive lying, etc.); it's as if systematic political maneuvering as a way of life over the long term has brought about genetic defects in them. And while the primary result of this tends to be political, it's actually just 'them' fighting amongst themselves while the rest of 'us' watch detachedly.

5. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Yeah, that's what pisses me off the most. They're supposed to represent us and do what is best for the country, but it seems they are more interested in coming out on top, defeating their "enemies" and being bought. It's all about themselves now.

*shrug* maybe it always has been.

6. Splunge

Splunge Bhaal’s financial advisor Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    And yet some people still think the American system works.

7. Blades of Vanatar

Blades of Vanatar Vanatar will rise again Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

It always has been. But now it is just more visible to the public with electronic media and the status quo changing for our times. Hell, how many times do we see that they are now raising their own pay. I'll bet that Bill never gets vetoed and both parties have no problem coming together on it either. That says it all to me...

8. Ragusa

Ragusa Eternal Halfling Paladin Veteran

Media:
    I think the the approval ratings are lamentable, but not really indicative of reality. There haven't been really big corruption scandals recently, the last and really outrageous ones were from the Bush years of total GOP dominance. So what happened? All there is today is the bitter and rancorous gridlock that an intransigent GOP has imposed on the parliamentary process, and then there is of course the Republican stance that government sucks.

I find it startling that US Republicans on the one hand decry that government and congress is corrupt and ineffectual and cannot do anything right, while running for office on a platform of being against government (government sucks, and that's why I want to be part of it?). I have never succeeded in wrapping my head around that logic.

Beyond logic, or lack thereof, it makes cynical sense politically: It is the result of decades-long effort to erode public faith in government. It aggravates voters. Aggravated voters reliably vote. That works just fine with the anti abortion nuts, and it works just fine on the American Everyman who just want things to work, dislikes taxes and traffic jams on public roads, and perhaps the buses to be on time, too.

Interesting article about that: Cynicism, the GOP’s most destructive weapon.

IMO the most pernicious meme in GOP blovitations is that government is itself the problem. I cannot stress that enough. IMO, in spreading that theme, they are undermining trust in government, and in doing so undermine stability in the US proper (there are centrifugal forces in the US, and one unleashes that at ones own peril), and lay the foundation for a more effective, streamlined form of government (breaking sharply with US traditions, all professions of fervent devotion to the sainted founders notwithstanding). That would then be the imperial presidency in which the President has the power to effectively suspend law and govern by executive fiat by invoking national security.

To state the obvious, every civilized society this side of hunter-gatherer tribes needs government to provide basic social needs for security, adjudication of conflict, transfer of property, etc. The more advanced a society and its technology become, the greater and more varied are the needs that government is asked to perform.

To Republicans, apart from locking up people, the government always fails and does everything poorly, if right at all.

At the same time, they assert that the only trustworthy part of the government is the military, apparently protected from being corrupted like the rest of government by magical and supernatural forces and divine grace. I find that hard to believe, and also very problematic for the aforementioned reasons.

9. Splunge

Splunge Bhaal’s financial advisor Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Well, it seems simple to me. If you want to change something, one way to do it is from within.

If only that were the actual motive...

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.