1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Unpredictable console sales

Discussion in 'Playground' started by Z-Layrex, May 11, 2002.

1. Z-Layrex Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

[​IMG] It turns out that Gamecube and Xbox keep swapping over in sales. Of course PS2 will always be top of selling charts, but it's amazing watching the other two less.....er......'popular' ones duke it out. Xbox suffered a horrid release but is know selling huge amounts of software, which is weird. Gamecube also seems to be zooming up and down. What's your view on this?

[This message has been edited by Z-Layrex (edited May 11, 2002).]

2. Mollusken Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

Gamecube has soon sold more than Xbox ;). But of course Xbox is selling more games now, because the really good games are starting to come. The best PS2 games has allready been released (probably), and the best Gamecube games will come in a few months.

3. Z-Layrex Gems: 21/31

Yeah, overall the gamecube has been ALOT more popular than Xbox, but i read that for about 3 months the Xbox was outdoing Gamecube in the US charts. But, now it seems the Gamecube is thrashing it again. About the PS2 games, oh no, there's alot more to come, the best releases i can think of that are coming is: Final Fantasy 11, Devil may cry 2, Grandia Xtreme, Xenosaga, Medal of honour frontline and there's many more, PS2 isn't even at it's peak, Xenosaga is gonna be the best RPG in console history.

4. Bateluer Gems: 11/31
    Latest gem: Bloodstone

MS is supposedly supposed to lower the cost of the Xbox to 199, and Sony will likely follow suit and lower the cost of the PS2.

Since MS is already losing between 300 and 400 dollars per box sold, and involved in litagation with Nvidia over the price of the GF3 powering the xbox . . . . lets just say its not a good thing for the xbox. :)

5. the god Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

[​IMG] the fluctuations in software sales is obviously due to what games are available!

wait until mario sunshine and the new zelda come out on the 'cube, it'll be very doubtful xbox game sales will be comparable at that time!

in fact, hardware sales are also likely to increase, correlating to when certain games are released. for example, i won't get my gamecube until either mario, zelda or soulcalibur 2 are released.

6. Z-Layrex Gems: 21/31

And of course, we can't really compare world sales at the moment as the Cube's only been released in Europe recently. WE'll have to give it time to settle down in UK and Germany etc...

7. Mollusken Gems: 24/31

Microsoft has lowered the Xbox prices (close to GameCube level now).

Nintendo has also announced their internet adapter for the Gamecube (which also will be quite cheap). The first one to brin the consol online will probably sell a lot. After all, we know how popular online multiplayer games for the PC are.

8. Gunthar Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

The price for a PS2 just recently droped at the mall near me. When I was there yesterday EB was selling it for $300 CDN as opposed to 450$ a couple of weeks ago. I might actually buy one now, partialy for the DVD player as well, but no new games for the PS2 interest me now.

9. Z-Layrex Gems: 21/31

I cannot stress what a wise decision that is Gunthar. I bought my PS2 a few months ago and i have had nothing but enjoyment from it. It's qiet and SO lovable. I always watch DvDs on it as i'm sure you will. A very good console to invest your money in. Games like MGS2, Ico and Jak & Daxter will have you in a complete state of pleasure.
    If you're looking for something even cheaper, i'd recommend a Dreamcast.

[This message has been edited by Z-Layrex (edited May 20, 2002).]

10. Gunthar Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

Why bother buying something they're not making games for anymore? No, I think I will buy a PS2, nothing like playing fighting games while drunk. :grin:

11. Findol The Swift Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

The console prices have all lowered. The PS2 is $199. The XBox is $199. The Gamecube is $149. Surprised kind of that the gamecube went down.

12. Z-Layrex Gems: 21/31

I got mine first hand with 5 games for £130 :p ;)

[This message has been edited by Z-Layrex (edited May 22, 2002).]

13. the god Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

[​IMG] sounds like a good deal Z, if we knew what console 'mine' is! got what, and where?

14. Z-Layrex Gems: 21/31

[​IMG] Playstation2. My father's friend owns a games shop in London and he gave me a special discount. I believe i got DOA2, Kessen, Sky Oddessy, Moto GP and TOP GUN. I HAve bought many more better games though, these 5 other than DOA2 were crud.

15. Sir Dargorn Gems: 21/31

x box and halo for £200 or gamecube and rouge squadron for £129????? i got to go with the game cube!

16. Z-Layrex Gems: 21/31

NO!!! PS2 PS2! They'll both fail and you'll be left with nothing, please head my waning and buy the one DECENT console!

17. Volar Blackmane Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

I've been thinking about PS2, as my computer starts getting old and all that... Besides, there's a dvd player included ;) But are there any BG-style games for it or something? And can anyone post a link to a PS2 game review site (like gamespot and firingsquad for pc)?

18. Lazy Bonzo Gems: 24/31

[​IMG] Try www.ign.com for reviews, previews and news on all consoles and pc games.

19. Z-Layrex Gems: 21/31

Well there's Baldurs Gate: Dark Alliance. Summoner (that's like morrowind or Gothic) Dark Cloud (nothing like it, a gem) and a few more good RPGs.

20. Lazy Bonzo Gems: 24/31

[​IMG]
    They'll both fail?
    Hmmm Z, i would not be surprised if the x-box fails (or MS is pumping a lot of money in to it just to keep it barely floating), sure it's got the power but consoles are about the games not the power :p

With the Ps2 + GC IMHO neither are going to fail (at least not in this generation of consoles). Both are big console companies, both with the experience to suceed in this generation of consoles. Of course the Ps2's sold more, it's been out the longest duh :p.

X-box is most going to be like the dreamcast + saturn of the previous generation, they'll survive for the first half of this generation with some good games and gimmicks but drop off without a trace after that.

Oh and btw nintendo has a very big assest - Rare. Rare made goldenye, perfect dark, banjo-kazooie franchise, DK, etc. IIRC no game they have made has ever achieved less than No.3 in the sales (with goldenye in top 20 for nearly 2 years). Also by rare is the game that will smash all others IMHO - Conker Bad Fur Day 2. If you didn't play the original you missed one of the funniest, violent, enjoyable games ever. Easily the best game on the N64 and number 2, for me atleast, is reason enough to buy a Gamecube.

These are just my opinions so don't start b*tchin at me, ok?

[Edit] Z-Layrex Wasn't aimed at you in particular. I just didn't want anyone to dart in with a comment along the lines of "PS2's rule!!! Gamecubes and X-Box's Suck!!" without any reasons at all. You've had some valid points for liking PS2's and i respect that. Hope that clears up any misunderstanding.

[This message has been edited by Lazy Bonzo (edited June 08, 2002).]

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.