1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Uncommon Hobbies - What's yours?

Discussion in 'Whatnots' started by Foradasthar, Jul 10, 2004.

1. Foradasthar Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

So. An uncommon hobby is not football, icehockey, playing console/computer games (at least the regular sort), or reading fantasy / sci-fi novels. Spefically not games and reading sci-fi / fantasy novels, as those are things that just about everyone here must be doing to some extent, even if novels of the aforementioned type would be uncommon amongst the masses.

It doesn't need to be a lifelong project you do 2 hours a day at least. Just something out of the ordinary like parachuting, kite-flying, ornithology, astronomy, chess, etc. This may even include rather uncommon studies. Please include a small explanation in case you have reason to believe people have no idea what you're talking about.

My hope is to reveal something more about the members of these boards. Call it playing with the idea that if someone needs an advice, then by the information here, you know who to ask it of.

For me the only uncommon hobby I have is a chinese board game called "Go". Started after a friend, played some 5-6 months now, though not *that* actively. In a nutshell, it's a game not unlike chess. The difference however is that while its basic rules are a whole lot more simple than in chess, the game in itself is so much more complicated that man has yet to make a computer offering any challenge to real professional go-players. It's hardcore skill oriented with little room for luck, and honour and respect are a big part of the game which is actively seen in the playing style of the players as well. The game is played on a 19x19 board with grids, white is one side, black the other. Goal is basically to cover more area than your opponent, and kill his stones when possible.

2. Sarevok• Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

I read tarot cards.

3. chevalier

chevalier Knight of Everfull Chalice ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    I collect coins. Used to know each one in my collection. I still have it, though I probably haven't touched it for a year or two.

I like making websites. Sort of a hobby. Sometimes I would test a layout without adding content other than what's necessary to check how it would look.

Sometimes I learn languages for fun. Sometimes I learn strange stuff from areas that are clearly not my field, like chemistry, biology or physics. Maths sometimes. For various reasons, often to improve conversational capacity, read: because of women ;)

Used to be an art history geek (father is an artist), but it's no longer the case.

And I'm one big ancient & mediaeval history geek.

Well, and Latin is a hobby now. No longer have to learn it, but it's still fun.

4. Gothmog

Gothmog Man, a curious beast indeed! ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

@Foradasthar
    I played Go for a while too. It all started when i watched this anime Hikaru No Go. It seemed quite interesting, so i had to try it out. There's this program on the net Panda Egg i belive that lets you play Go with people all over the world. All types of difficulties as well, from 9dan (toughest world class) to 28k (amateur). You can set the initial rank though, so you better take a look at the games won/lost before you challenge somoene. You can also alter the board, from 8x8 (iirc) up to 19x19 (standard).
    It's pretty cool, but i rarely play it these days anymore.

Other than that, i like to belive i'm doing some martial arts training. Nothing officil, not a member of any club or training program, just what comes to my mind. I can do a perfect handstand on flat grounds (if its a slope its harder ;) ), but beyond that, i dont think it can be evaluated, heh. I'll soon try somersaulting :)
    Oh, and lots of kicking too yes. I can do a pathetic (i'm sure it looks that way) circle kick, but it's in really early stages, lots to improve there.
    It's interesting though!
    The point is not to kick someone's a$$, the point is to experiment what all you can do yourself. I certainly regard it more as an art than means for beating someone up. :)

5. Lynx Lupo Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

Veteran

I run over stairs everytime, walk silently and train staff(proficient*). All are studies of momentum, which is great, be cause i want to master it. :D

Less, but still uncommon, is my love for puzzles, word games and ambiguity. My rp name is Lynx Puzzlewell ;)

6. Foradasthar Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

Gothmog: Yes the first one of my friends started because of Hikaru no Go as well. I started it when I watched him play another one of my friend once.

And I've used KGS for onlineplaying since I started. Don't get to go to my old hometown to play in real-life that often afterall. :)

Btw, forgot to mention. Back as a teen, I used to collect bottle caps. I had some near 200 different I believe (200 is a lot in Finland). I even handcrafted a small tablet to put all the bottlecaps in for display. But that was then.

7. Baezlebub Gems: 18/31
    Latest gem: Horn Coral

I heard about Go when I read Shibumi by Trevanian (sp.) when I was 14. Great book.

Odd hobby, purchasing old '78s from record exchanges. And then listening to them, as opposed to collecting them. I like music, what can I say.

8. Pac man Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

Well, i have a few hobbies, but none of them fit in the category "uncommon". I guess i'm just a very boring guy. :D

9. 8people

8people 8 is just another way of looking at infinite ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran

Media:
    [​IMG] I do warhammer, but I suppose that isn't so uncommon. :hmm:

I also used to do archery and I'm going to start fencing soon, so yay! :roll:

I also like drawing maps of fantasy lands and drawing fantasy creatures and my RP characters. :D

I like making mods for BG2 though none are complete yet :p So I go on computing courses and finding out how games work so I can change them ;)

I'm into astrology, and space, and ghosts and stuff like that. Always been interested in thaumology and psionicism as well. :cool:

Also used to do ventriloquism when I was younger - I was bad :p

10. Splunge

Splunge Bhaal’s financial advisor Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    I like theoretical physics. Unfortunately, my ability to understand it is limited by my inability to comprehend the underlying math.

I'm such a nerd.

11. Laiwethel Gems: 23/31

I enjoy learning new languages, even though where I'm living right now isn't really the best place to pick up anything new.

I also read tarot and seem to have this connection with the world around me that many of my friends don't have.

Oh yeah, I'm also a fan of going to science-fiction/fantasy conventions. Unfortunately I can only afford to go to one a year.

12. Xei Win Toh Gems: 17/31
    Latest gem: Star Diopside

I'm interested in occultism and whatnot. That uncommon enough?

13. Master of Nuhn

Master of Nuhn Wear it like a crown Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    And I'm interested in opposing occultism and whatnot. Easiest way is prayer. I even scared occultists just by praying for dinner. No kidding. :)

I collect Garfield stuff. Got all cartoon pockets sofar, with quite enough other gadgets. Not special enough eh?

And I think I'll start an other soon: Ritual Slaughtering of Yu-Gi-Oh fans, creatures and the like.

14. Dice

Dice ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran

Media:
    I collect animal bones. (Very dry old ones that I find in the bush) I also have a jar full of turkey and chicken neck bones because I think they are very pretty. I like to use organic forms for subject matter in my paintings and sculptures.

15. Midwinter Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

Hi guys, my first post at SP!

I'm interested in Eastern, Western and Shamanic esoteric traditions, although my total knowledge is hardly something to boast about.

I enjoy playing chess, but only for fun (never played in competitions, tournaments or anything - I wouldn't even know where to start!).

I also love reading ancient myths, mainly Greek and Egyptian, but also Nordic and Celtic - a love of ancient history probably originally sprang from this.

16. Faerus Stoneslammer Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

I fence...I guess that's kinda rare.
    I too like to read up on various mythologies (Greek, Roman, Celtic and especially Norse). I like studying languages too, but I can't really make a hobby of it.

And that's pretty much it for any remotely interesting hobbies I might have...actually; I think that's it for *all* of my hobbies.

17. Tassadar Gems: 23/31

Veteran

I draw my own comic books whenever I get free time. Occasionally I do freelance drawings (sci-fi/fantasy) for people who decide to pay me. :)

I'm also in a band, but that's nothing too uncommon.

18. Serpent Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

Well, i'm a tarot card reader just like Sarevok. I'm also intrested in mythology and occultism but that doesn't seem to be too uncommon here ;)

[ July 11, 2004, 11:39: Message edited by: Serpent ]

19. SleepleSS Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

[​IMG] I collect card and board games, and Dice! Got a large jar filled with dice standing in my room.

I also like to play with knives and fire but I don't know if you can call that a hobby...

Another hobby is cardboard jumping. (Jumping in a large pile of cardboard, trying not to hurt yourself).

Also I play Magic the gathering and collect cool music but those two aren't that uncommon here :p

And offcourse my intrest in the occult and my "Band".

20. Equester Gems: 18/31
    Latest gem: Horn Coral

Veteran

History, I read all kinds of history, roman, Greek, Egyptian and so. I love reading about ancient cultures, which leads me to my next hobby, religion, I especially like reading about different cultures religion and myths.

Drawing I like to draw both Manga and buildings (weird combination). I like to draw ancient buildings, like temples and churches, specially Greco-roman and Gothic buildings

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.