1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Unable to display 800x600

Discussion in 'Techno-Magic' started by Colthrun, Jul 4, 2005.

1. Colthrun

Colthrun Walk first in the forest and last in the bog Veteran

Hey there!

I have a 17" MAG Innovision flat LCD monitor and everytime I try to use any program or game that runs at 800x600, the monitor screen goes black and shows "Resolution Not Supported".

I have read the documentation that came with the monitor, and the lowest resolution listed there is 640x480, so it should be able to handle this. I have gone to the MAG page and downloaded the latest drivers for the monitor, although I am unable to decide which one is the best.

At the back of the monitor it indicates two model numbers: UK-713 and 700P. Neither is listed in the driver package I got from MAG. The documentation is very generic and applicable to any MAG monitor. No original drivers CD came with it, as the monitor is Plug & Play.

I also checked on Proview (they seem to manufacture the same monitor type), downloaded and installed a combined driver that includes the UK-713 model. No joy.

My graphics card is a 256MB NVidia 6600GT, and I have the latest drivers installed.

Any clues?

2. Kitrax

Kitrax Pantaloons are supposed to go where!?!?

Media:
    Have you tried calling the manufacturer for some tech support?

I've never heard of a monitor that can't support 800x600 if it can support a lower resolution...besides, 800x600 is the most common resolution, so I would thionk that all monitors should be able to display the 800x600 resolution. Also, your video card is a "snazzy" one that should have no problem displaying anything under 1600x1200.

So short answer: No, I have no clue. :rolling:

3. Chimera Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

It's probably the nVidia card.
    Check whether the 800x600 is enabled.

4. Colthrun

@Chimera: where can I find which resolutions are enabled in the card? The only similar thing I could find in the advanced settings was the list of supported resolutions, and 800x600 was one of them.

5. Chimera Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

Supported doesn't mean enabled, on the last 17inch monitor with nvidia card I worked on every lower resolution was disabled by default. I'm assuming by advanced you mean desktop -> right-click -> settings -> advanced -> nvidia tab. A window on the left side should appear. Have you looked through the options there? (I don't have access to any comp with nvidia right now, sorry)

6. Colthrun

This is solid advice, thanks Chimera.
    I checked the menus on the left tab, although it's possible that I missed the activation option, supposing that it was enabled by default. I'll verify this on the evening, when I'm back home.

EDIT:
    Problem solved. The video mode was activated, but the driver seemed to be incorrect. I used the UPDATE driver option and checked for all the drivers available in the PC, not just the compatible ones from the list. I found 4 different drivers for the NVidia 6600, and only one actually said 6600GT. Selected that one and it now works as a charm. Thanks Chimera for putting me on the right track.

[ July 05, 2005, 21:14: Message edited by: Colthrun ]

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.