1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

UK to ban Swords

Discussion in 'Alley of Dangerous Angles' started by Dalveen, Mar 2, 2007.

1. Dalveen

Dalveen Rimmer gone Bald Veteran

Media:
    In a strange, stupid move, the UK government is planning a ban on swords.

This ban could cause problems with many things, like Fencing, Scottish Sword Dancing, Legitimate sword collectors etc...

To stop this move, please go to http://petitions.pm.gov.uk/swords/
    Im afraid its UK citizens only.

2. Drew

Drew Arrogant, contemptible, and obnoxious Adored Veteran

Media:
    Oh, come on! Everyone knows about the rampant violent sword crime which has been plaguing the UK. To ignore all of those violent muggings, armed robberies, and murders happening all over the cities (and even small towns) of the UK is to ignore the elephant in the living room. Kudos to the UK for their move to rectify as serious and pressing a problem as sword violence with such decisive action.

3. Dalveen

Media:
    I hope to god that's sarcasm...

4. Goli Ironhead Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

I see absolutely no sence in this plan. Why ever would they, of all things, ban swords? They are, in essence, only sharpened pieces of metal, obsolete by now.
    It's just waste of money to ban them, there won't be any benefits. Stupid and useless.

5. Rallymama Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Media:
    Do you have any more references on this, like links to news articles about the legislation being discussed?

6. Goli Ironhead Gems: 16/31

EDIT: seems like the news were old... sorry. :aww:

7. Abomination Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

*snaps fingers* Damnit! Looks like I'll have to replace my claymore with a semi-automatic .357 hunting rifle...

8. Morgoroth

Morgoroth Just because I happen to have tentacles, it doesn'

I would like to see some details about this. I mean do they mean all swords or simply sharp swords? Sharp swords are banned in Finland which I fully support. They simply have no purpose. Somehow I'm very sceptical about this law since banning all kinds of swords seems simply stupid. You might as well ban the possession of baseball bats and hockey clubs.

9. Dalveen

Media:
  10. Cúchulainn Gems: 28/31
    Latest gem: Star Sapphire

Fencing hardly uses 'real' swords so its not going to be effected. I think they should just ban chavs instead, that would solve all criminal matters.

11. Montresor

Montresor Mostly Harmless Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder

Media:
    I guess this means that only criminals will be wielding swords in the UK. ;)

12. Dinsdale Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

Veteran

Media:
    What a stupid idea. How typical of government (any government) to waste their time on such foolishness. Just another way to control their subjects. I seriously doubt that the UK is crawling with sword toting criminals. :rolleyes:

13. Drew

Drew Arrogant, contemptible, and obnoxious Adored Veteran

Media:
    What about swords kept for home defense? Will those be banned as well? After all, with all the sword bearing criminals out there, the need for a quality blade for home defense is clear and obvious.

14. AMaster Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Media:
    Nah, replace it with a claymore. Y'know, the kind with seven hundred steel ball bearings? Hook one of those up to the door and ain't nobody going to break in.

Or, at least, survive doing so.

15. Goli Ironhead Gems: 16/31

AMaster, you forget the joys of mobility. Or perhaps we could construct some kind of walking claymore... that would be quite mobile...

16. Ragusa

Ragusa Eternal Halfling Paladin Veteran

Media:
    You could be a hunter and have a shotgun (which would roughly be your walking claymore, and is said to be warmly recommended for home defense) but are not allowed to own a sword. How inconsistent. I don't see a reason to allow for firearms, but not allow for lesser weapons like swords. But then, firearms are also banned in the UK.

However, sharpened swords are not allowed in Germany too, but you can own blunt ones, or blunted ones. Which is perfectly adequate for fencing.

17. Rotku

Rotku I believe I can fly Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Would that mean MPs can no longer take swords into parliament?

18. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

That would probably do it.

19. Barmy Army

Barmy Army Simple mind, simple pleasures... Adored Veteran

Media:
    At the risk of being flamed by posting this on boards like this... anyone who feels the need to own a sword should face penalties anyway! ;)

20. The Shaman Gems: 28/31
    Latest gem: Star Sapphire

Interesting, maybe it's related to the threat of terrorism? Perhaps Al-Queda is smuggling a scimitar-wielding army :p ?

Actually, I think a few countries have regulations on owning swords, and it's usually required that the blade be blunt(ed). A little weird, but I guess crime at swordpoint can be very dangerous ;) Wasn't there such a case a while back?

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.