1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

UK: children of asylum seekers to be taken into care

Discussion in 'Alley of Dangerous Angles' started by Chris Williams, Nov 27, 2003.

1. Chris Williams Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

The UK government has revealed plans to take the children of asylum seekers who refuse a flight home into care, presumably as one of a number of coercive measures. You can read more about this here:
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/3240836.stm

The story concerns the leader of the opposition's response to this and other proposals revealed in the Queen's Speech.

Lest this be a topic only of interest to British board members, I'll give you a little background. Michael Howard is the recently selected leader of the British Conservative Party and the leader of the opposition in Parliament. When he was a government minister some years ago he was notorious for his harsh treatment of asylum seekers. When a man like Mr. Howard can attack the shamefulness of your asylum policy, you're doing something badly wrong.

To be honest, I don't think that this policy will ever be workable. To take children into care you need both the intervention of childcare professionals and the assent of a magistrate, neither of which will be forthcoming. You also need to prove that the child is at risk of serious or continuous harm or neglect.

Nevertheless, for even considering such barbarous measures, the UK government have lost my vote in the next election.

Any thoughts?

2. Splunge

Splunge Bhaal’s financial advisor Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    I'm a bit confused as to the purpose of the bill. Is it to basically hold the children hostage in an effort to force the asylum seekers to leave? Is it to allow the children to stay, even if the parents have to leave? Is it a temporary measure to make sure the children are safe while the parents' request is being heard? Or is it something else? And would the parents have access to their children? It all seems a bit odd to say the least, though.

3. Sojourner Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

To answer your question, here's an extract from the linked article:

'Despicable provision'

He accused ministers of proposing to "use the children of asylum seekers as pawns to cover up their failure to get a grip on their asylum chaos".

"Children of asylum seekers are to be taken into care in order to force their parents to leave the country," he said.

"You and the home secretary should be ashamed of yourselves," he said to Mr Blair.

4. Splunge

Splunge Bhaal’s financial advisor Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    I read the article, but I wasn't sure if that was just Howard's interpretation of the bill, or if that was the actual intent.

5. dmc

dmc Speak softly and carry a big briefcase Staff Member Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    How did that possibly get by the guys who are supposed to check for common sense? Using children as political levers is a little passe. It's a little tough to pick up exactly what is being proposed as the linked article presupposes a general knowledge of internal British politics of which, I confess, I lack knoweldge. However, the meaning is loud and clear: Legal kidnapping to extort a ranson paid in the absence of the parents. Nice.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.