1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Ubuntu 7.04 vs. PCLinuxOS 2007 Full release

Discussion in 'Techno-Magic' started by Faraaz, Apr 25, 2007.

1. Faraaz Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Hey guys...before I actually went ahead and installed Ubuntu on my system, I came across this other distribution called PCLinuxOS...and after reading the features list I was VERY impressed. It includes out of the box support for ATi cards...a feature I would really need for my config. And apparently, people have had trouble getting ATi cards to work on Ubuntu...

So here's my question:

What are the pros and cons based on your own experiences with each distro...and which would you recommend for a complete newbie looking to learn how to use Linux??

Because after reading about WINE, NTFS drivers and Synaptic...I am soooo psyched to use Linux right now!

2. Disciple of The Watch

Disciple of The Watch Preparing The Coming of The New Order Veteran

PCLinuxOS was based on Mandrake (now known as Mandriva), and Mandrake can be somewhat of a pain to configure, for a linux noob, my preference goes with Ubuntu. Now, the remaining part is deciding which desktop you prefer - GNOME, KDE or Xfce, because each desktop has it's own version of *Ubuntu. Ubuntu uses GNOME, Kubuntu uses KDE (duh), and Xubuntu uses Xfce.

Personally, I am a Xfce fan for it's small weight and it's using less ressources, so it runs smoother than KDE or GNOME. It's a matter of taste, though.

3. Taza

Taza Weird Modmaker Veteran

I'd say Xubuntu or Kubuntu (Xfce or KDE Ubuntu).

I personally hate Mandrake/Mandriva and all it's derivatives.

4. Faraaz Gems: 26/31

Okay...I installed Ubuntu...and I had a horrible time of it!! I just couldn't get my video card to be recognized, nor could I install ATI's drivers for it as they were RPM based packages and apparently they are supported only for Red Hat Linux and OpenSuse...

Anyway...I tried using Ubuntu with that dratted 800x600 resolution and enable multimedia atleast...but no go!! :( Couldn't get the libraries or whatever I needed to install.

Eventually I just gave up...what did I do wrong?? I tried out the Ubuntu Wiki and their pages for enabling multimedia, enabling my ATI card...but I guess I was just too much of a noob.

PCLOS TR4 just finished downloading and the Live CD is burning as we speak so maybe I can install this and see which I like better.

As of now though, I just hate Ubuntu! :grr:

5. Disciple of The Watch

Disciple of The Watch Preparing The Coming of The New Order Veteran

Red Hat Linux = Fedora Core

Fedora works great, and I like it a lot.

However, instead of messing with your HD, ever considered virtual machines to test various distros? That's what I did. VMWare does wonders.

Good to know I'm not the only one.

6. Faraaz Gems: 26/31

Well...so far so good!! I managed to install PCLOS to my computer, all my DIVX files, MP4 files and DVDs work out of the box! My ATI card was recognized during installation...although I'm not able to increase resolution beyond 1152x864 for some reason...

Hmm...maybe its because this OS is geared a lot more towards complete newbies but I'm LOVING this distro!! Not to mention...Linux is so AWESOME!! The thumbnails! The super configurability!! If only someone could tell me how to configure my card:

Okay, here is the problem!!

I have an ATI Radeon X1600 card, a Samsung Syncmaster 945BW 19" widescreen monitor (with native rez @ 1440x900). I installed the proprietary ATI drivers and all, but after I rebooted I'm always dumped into the command prompt. The GUI refuses to load, unless I boot into safemode..and then only at 1024x768...which is the same as what I get with the VESA drivers.

Can someone tell me what is happening and how I can fix it?

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.