1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

U.S. Dept of Labor goes insane

Discussion in 'Alley of Dangerous Angles' started by ArtEChoke, Jan 6, 2004.

1. ArtEChoke Gems: 17/31
    Latest gem: Star Diopside

U.S. Dept of Labor gives tips to employers on how to screw people out of overtime pay.

This administration is corroding my sanity.

I love this:

and...

Just more of the same crap from these guys, finding new ways to screw low-income people so that the guys on the top-rung can get an extra $.01 on their stock price.

Its disgusting.

2. Death Rabbit

Death Rabbit Straight, no chaser Adored Veteran Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    But you see, ArtE, this doesn't matter.

We caught Saddam. There was a tax cut. America is safer.

*cough* bullsh*t *cough*

We could start a thousand threads on all the disastrous domestic policies this administration is putting in place, from our environment, to education, to the enormous growth of federal spending and shredding of privacy rights, all from the party that's supposed to be all about "smaller government." But our people just don't seem to notice all these little things when there's a war and a reelection campaign going on at the same time.

3. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    But you missed the best quote!

LMAO!

But really this is nothing new; all the above could already be done under current rules.

New rules are going into effect, so the Labor Department is giving business owners information on what legal actions they can take.

I'm sure there are plenty of fat corporations who could use the advice to "screw people out of overtime pay", but I'm sure these corporations already know how to do this.

But what about the small company that's barely scraping by under the old rules and is not sure what to do under the new rules? What if they don't think they can afford their current work force under the new rules, and think they have to start laying workers off? These tips could save some poor guy who wouldn't mind making the same as he did before if it meant he'd still have his job.

4. ArtEChoke Gems: 17/31
    Latest gem: Star Diopside

Gah! I accidently killed what I was typing...

simplified version (probably better)

Blackthorne good points. However, in the situation you set up, the employee breaks even when he's working overtime, meaning, if work comes to a normal level, and he no longer needs to work overtime... he's now losing income. Something like that is pretty unique and needs to be settled between an employee and employer. Not for the dol to declare as the way out.

The way I read the comments was, "These are the new rules, this is how to go around them."

I did make a concerted effort to find the original release that held the statements, they may be sorely out of context, hard to say. The way I read them though, it seems pretty underhanded.

5. dmc

dmc Speak softly and carry a big briefcase Staff Member Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    In simple economics, any time there is a government mandated hike to minimum wage or a mandated increase in overtime pay or calculation, the "low-end" workers are actually harmed, not helped. This is just more of the same. Over 90% of economists, no matter their party or politics, agree with the foregoing. Everyone just chooses to ignore it because it is "intuitive" that raising minimum wages and enforcing stricter overtime laws means more money for the workers. Well, it does. The problem is that the money is going to fewer workers at that base level. This appears to be a way to keep the work force, but it sure is weird coming from the DOL (not that any halfway intelligent corporate CFO couldn't have figured this out in three minutes, but still . . .)

6. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    I agree, except for the last sentence. The DoL is not declaring this as a way out, they are indicating several legal options that employers can use and still comply with the new rules.

It will always be settled between the employer and employee. If the new terms are not affordable to the employer, he lays off employees (or goes under); if the terms are unacceptable to the employee, the employee goes elsewhere for employment.

Or we have a strike like the grocery store workers are currently doing here in California.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.