1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Typing

Discussion in 'Whatnots' started by Compulsive Dementia, May 3, 2003.

1. Compulsive Dementia Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

Out of curiosity, do you type, if so, at what speed, do you do anything special when you type (like most of my friends type with one finger), etc. I type normally usually between the 55 wpm and 45 wpm.

2. Sephiroth Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

That should be my speed,too.About one year ago,or so,I used to type with one finger :D .But we had this typing course at school and I thought it couldn't be bad to learn to type with all fingers.

3. Mesmero

Mesmero How'd an old elf get the blues?

They probably didn't learn you how to use the space bar at that course, did they?

4. 8people

8people 8 is just another way of looking at infinite ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran

Media:
    [​IMG] I can usually type quite fast and sometimes touch type but feel more comfortable looking at the keyboard when I type then checking it through looking up every so often.

My English teacher says he types with only one finger on each hand and was amazed when he saw me typeing, I wonder how on Earth he managed to type out two books out :hmm:

5. Lazy Bonzo Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

[​IMG] I accurately touch type about 90% of the time, though only on my keyboard at my house (not this one, keys slightly smaller and not as worn through use), on other keyboards I'm accurate about 75%+. I can type fast, for example when I'm typing something out. I have done some typing speed tests (there was link on SP a while back) but i can't remember my score/speed offhand.

The head of IT at our school often preaches how "everyone should be touch-typing" and then he types using just one, or at best two, fingers. Hippocrite (spelling?) :rolleyes:

On a final note; I've never done any typing courses, I've just picked it up mostly over the last 2 years where every essay i have written (and that's about 50 essays, ranging from 1500 - 5000 words, average 2000-3000) i have done on the computer. This is because i can type quicker than i can write, my handwriting is rather poor, and i can listen to relaxing music while typing.

6. Sephiroth Gems: 14/31

:confused:
    Did I wrote something wrong ?

7. 8people

8people 8 is just another way of looking at infinite ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran

Media:
    [​IMG] He means you didn't put spaces after the commas and full-stops

(Write not wrote, btw)

8. Sephiroth Gems: 14/31

I didn't thought that was so important. But if you think this is so important I will do it.

(Why not wrote? It's past and it should be right. But I'm not from an English speaking country,so excuse me if I'm telling absolute crap)

9. Platypus Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

@ Sephirot:

No problem, but as a clarification if you write the word "did" then you use the present tense afterwards. Don't ask me why, I'm not some linguistics brain, but that's just the way it is. You could also have put simply "I wrote something wrong?" which would also have been correct. I hope this helps :)

10. ejsmith Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

It kinda depends on what I'm doing. If I'm just copying written text or something, then I hammer out maybe 60wpm. If I'm just typing a post or something, it's closer to 40wpm.

11. Iago Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

I play guitar. Or at least I used too. As a sideffect, my fingers are pretty nimbel and my typing is usually considered as very fast.

Just my English spelling sucks.

[ May 03, 2003, 17:27: Message edited by: Yago ]

12. chevalier

chevalier Knight of Everfull Chalice ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    In English up to 55-60 wpm, getting down to 50 with difficult texts and 46-48 with finger-killers. In my best moments of IRC oblivion it's probably a good bit more. In my own language I type up to 300 chars/minute (well, now probably more, that was some time ago). Of course, chat frenzy brings a substantial increase. I love seeing all those people gazing at me in internet caffees or other public places with PCs :shake:

Actually all that typing experience also does much good to my sword-fighting and some specific social activities ;)

13. LKD Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Veteran

I use about 5 fingers total when I type -- the first two on each finger, and the right thumb for the space bar. It works fairly well. I've never timed myself, though. I took the touch typing courses at school, but I never took the time to develop any speed.

14. Cross Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

I use all but my little fingers when I type, and sometimes I forget my thumbs as well. Since I pretty much do this for a living, I can get a lot of words per minute, but I've never actually counted how many.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.