1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Tymofarrar

Discussion in 'Neverwinter Nights (Classic)' started by chevalier, Jul 4, 2005.

1. chevalier

chevalier Knight of Everfull Chalice ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    Out of curiosity, do you kill the white dragon in SoU Chapter One, or do you let him live?

Personally, I have a hard time doing either as an LG character. Of course, you can make him refuse to protect Hilltop and say that's not enough when he only agrees to stay away from it. Or you can break the phylactery the moment the dragon turns on you. Letting him go sort of borders on metagaming, as in, knowing about the doll he gives you for Deekin etc. It's also questionnable if such a dangerous evil creature (not like he's overly competent) should be let alive.

So, what do you choose when play which alignment?

2. Felinoid

Felinoid Who did the what now? ★ SPS Account Holder

As a good character, I'd kill him just because he's evil. As an evil character, I'd kill him because I don't need the competition.
    The neutrals are harder:
    LN - If he follows your agreement to the letter, let him live, but watch him like a hawk. If he breaks it, kill him.
    TN - Provided he doesn't upset the balance in the region, let him live.
    CN - Whatever the heck I felt like doing at the moment. :D But chances are that I'd just kick his ass for no reason at all.

So, ultimately, the best he can hope for from me is a 50-50 chance. :)

3. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

I put this dragon in the same basket as Firkraag in BGII. In other words, I don't kill him because I don't have to and why would anyone (especially a 4th level druid) risk going head to head with a dragon if they didn't have to. Your character has no real idea whether the phylactery of ice will work or not so I would say alignment is irrelevant in this discussion. It's more a question of your character's personality and bravery / foolhardiness or whether he is on a personal quest to kill all evil creatures he meets.

I forsook any possible XP or treasure gains I might have got from killing the dragon because I knew my character would have been glad to just get out of there alive.

4. The Great Snook Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Adored Veteran

Media:
    I killed him. Then again, I'm still on my first time playing the game so I wanted to see what the phylactery did. If you don't use it, can you use it in later acts?

5. chevalier

Media:
    Probably not, because it doesn't even have any duration and you get de-polymorphed into yourself the moment he falls dead. It must be scripted for that one fight. From what I know, if you take the quest from J'nah, she gives it to you to use on him the same way he gave you the powder to use on her to weaken her.

6. The Great Snook Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Adored Veteran

Media:
    Heh, I actually killed them both. I used the powder to weaken her and took the phylactery off of her corpse. I may have to recheck my alignment :)

7. Jesper898 Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

I let him live, he isn't really a bad guy :p

8. Felinoid

Felinoid Who did the what now? ★ SPS Account Holder

Yeah, if you're evil like he is. :p

9. Chevalier Mal Fet Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

I always used the phylactory, then took the powder and killed her. They're both evil as I am, and I take any opportunity for power I can. Well, that how I prefer to play it anyway.

At first I didn't intend to kill J'nah, but I felt that she kinda screwed me over in a manner of speaking. Don't really remember why, as I haven't played the game in half a year. (semesters abroad can be painful sometimes)

10. Undertaker Gems: 27/31
    Latest gem: Emerald

I always kill the lizard. And besides turning to frost giant is fun :D Of course I also kill J'nah.

11. NonSequitur Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

I've only gone through it once thus far (with a TN Fighter/Sorceror/RDD), and I let him live. There was no need to kill him, and let's face it - how much would you trust J'Nah? In my PC's shoes, I wouldn't be taking the risk for a bit of gold or treasure.

After all, he's hardly going on a rampage, and while he's irresponsible, he did give me the means to off that bitch J'nah. He could raze Hilltop but hasn't; I've slaughtered his minions and he's ultimately given me what I want.

That said, next time through, he's toast... so is J'Nah, just on principle.

12. Woodwyrm Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

I kill them both, a LG would probably try to redeem one of them, failing that he/she would slay 'em both. They are evil after all, besides, you either get the SPOILER mask SPOILER from him or you get him to free Deekin, slay him then.

13. khaavern Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

Well, I took the phylactery from J'nah first (I did not especially want to face a dragon without some insurance, let's say :) . Then I decided to accept Tym's offer and kill her anyhow. Then when I went back to the dragon cave for my reward, old Tym decided to renege on his agreement and attack me. Let's say I was happy about having the phylactery, and he not so much :)

I always assumed that he will attack you anyhow. Looks like I was wrong.

14. khaavern Gems: 14/31

Somewhat old thread but: how do you guys succeed in making a deal with Tymofarrar? I just went through the first chapter of SoU again, and I played it straight this time, accepted his request to kill Jnah, then killed her without accepting the counteroffer. But then I go back, and he offers me as reward a 'a quick and painless death' :grin: . And from there it proceeds to fighting (I tried to persuade him to keep his word, but no luck).

And out of curiosity, does anybody fight him without using the ice phylactery? It would seem a pretty tough endeavor; he has an AC of 25, irc, and at this point in the game this means you need pretty much to roll a critical to hit him (unless you are a fighter type with lots of strength).

15. erikhk Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

IIRC Tymofarrar needs to be talked at before J'Nah for a deal to happen.
    I usually fight him using the ice-dohickey, it's pretty cheap but i usually don't need it later on.

16. Sir Fink Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

When he offers you a quick and painless death you should get a response option along the lines of "don't force me to use this phylactery!" and he'll back down and offer you a peaceful resolution.

You then have the option of leaving him in peace or going ahead and using the phylactery to kill him.

17. khaavern Gems: 14/31

I see, so that was the proper conversation thread. I did not take it, because it seemed to require some intimidate check, which I was sure I would fail miserably (and who would be so crazy to try to intimidate a dragon, anyhow?)

18. chevalier

Media:
    I succeeded with the first attempt even though I had no ranks in Intimidate. The character's charisma was high, though.

19. The Magpie

The Magpie Balance, in all things Veteran

The Intimidate, Bluff and Persuade checks in SoU seem to pitched at a level where just about anyone can pass or fail them - I've had Half-Orc Barbarian who's unable to string sentences together, much less schmooze, Persuade Szaren into giving extra rewards and the like, when he's denied folks with average or better CHA.

Of course, I'm convinced that some [Persuade]-type options are (virtually) an automatic pass for everyone, as I can think of some ones I always pass, even with the fugliest characters. YMMV, as they say. After all, if things go TU there's always Power Word: Re-Load!

20. Tassadar Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

Veteran

I thought he was a pretty cool dragon, so I let him live. Imagine the shame: dragon slain by little halfling rogue. Normally I kill them on sight, bloody arrogant bastards! :D

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.