1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Two Worlds for PC -- thoughts

Discussion in 'Playground' started by Disciple of The Watch, Jul 6, 2010.

1. Disciple of The Watch

Disciple of The Watch Preparing The Coming of The New Order Veteran

Picked up this one for $7 at a small store chain near where I live. Looked Oblivion-ish, so I thought hell, I got nothing to lose.

And indeed, Oblivion-ish it is. Big map -- oh yeah, there's an Underworld as well, so make that TWO maps -- lots of quests, and interesting items. To add Elemental damage to a weapon, infuse the weapon with a gem. A green gem adds poison, blue adds lightning, etc. There's a nifty selection of traps, too... which you can buy and set as you please. Nailbombs (sweeeet!), Fire bombs, etc, etc.

Not very familiar with the magic system, as my first PC is a tank. I might try a Rogue, in the Assassin vein. Shooting an unsuspecting target with a poison arrow... there's no feeling in the world like it.

In the vein of Sacred, Two World uses a network of Teleporters. You even can get portable Teleporters to use anywhere. You can also get Magnetite to get Teleport Stones, which act as portable teleports.

The reputation system shows your influence with the various guilds. Your actions have repercussions -- though not so much as they want to make you believe. Hell, I worked for two rival factions (Merchant's Guild and the Giriza), and nobody had a problem with it.

As for the main quest, I haven't bothered yet, I play this game as I would Oblivion -- screw the main quest, I explore the map and do side quests.

I dig this game. Not as good as Ob, but definitively worthwhile.

-Edit- Well, after a marathon of the game that ended up in a Level 36 fighter, I am more familiar with the game, so I can talk about it more indepth.

In Two Worlds, there are no weapon specialization, just (passive) skills to boost damage, and boost the occurence of a critical hit. Currently using a sword, and let's say that a dungeon crawl yields a powerful, say, axe, no problem, equip away and start killing. The various weapons do piercing, slashing or bludgeoning damage, depending on the type of weapon being used.

I also accidentally discovered that the game allows the "fusion" of two identical weapons/armor. By doing so, you increase the Class of the weapon/armor, increasing it's damage/protection. There doesn't seem to be a cap. I "fused" several "The Earth" Chainmail Hauberks, making the original suit so far the best I can get right now. Same thing for weapons, I "fused" several Machettes together, and increased the weapon's usefulness.

I also spoke about upgrading weapons with elemental damage via gems... there doesn't seem to be a cap either. The Machette I mentioned earlier does ~450 points of Fire damage, infused it with like eight red gems.

As for the Magic System, spells are like cards, picked up on defeated spellcasters/bought. Air, Water, Earth, Necromancy and Fire are the five schools of magic. Spells can be bought from any merchant from the Society, while Necromancy spells are harder to buy, but if you find a Necro trader, there you go.

Like Ob, you can get a horse... which handles like a pig. It's THAT bad. In fact, it was SO BAD the company COMPLETELY PULLED the feature from the game in a patch! In my case, for the most part I stick to teleports+walking, but when I need to reach an undiscovered place on the map -- like say, the city of Ashos, or the Orc Stronghold Gor Gammar (make sure to do the Necromancer's quests and get the item! It's MUCH MORE LUCRATIVE THAT WAY!), the horse does the job, but controlling it is tricky yes... just turn with repeated strokes instead of just holding the A or D key.

The variety of factions -- Merchant's Guild/Giriza/Brotherhood/Society/Clan Karga/House Skelden/Necromancers makes for a broad selection of quests, and the map is pretty damned big, too.

Oh yeah, I almost forgot... the monster selection is lackluster. Hacking through Wolves is fun for a couple of minutes, then it gets tiring. And of course those <d>uckers hangs out in multiple packs. Seriously, the novelty has worn off. There are several kinds of monsters, but in the beginning, most of the enemy encounters are Wolves, so...

Oh yeah, as for the traps... they're pretty cool. The Nailbomb always cracks me up, the Fire Bomb makes me scream in laughter. Fun to see those monsters step on a trap and be lifted in the air by the explosion like a worthless ragdoll. Classic, truly classic. Boost the trap-setting for maximum damage and especially maximum fun.

This game is not perfect... but I'll reiterate my point: this game is good. It has a "poor man's Oblivion" feel to it, but Two Worlds has a couple of things that set it apart from Ob. An enjoyable game, super cheap to boot, and looks good.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2010
  2. Disciple of The Watch

Well, I started a new PC again, this time, made a BattleNecromancer. Poison Cloud is just awesome, Dead Hands is SWEEET if you're facing a single foe, the summon spells bring on some meat shields... truth be told, I'm having fun with this run. Knowing from the start that identical items can be stacked, and for the most part, the gear I had, upgraded, was better than the merchants I had visited had to offer.

I got the two weapons skill, boosted it, and add the Elemental Gems to the equation as well as Necromancy spells, and this run is pretty fun.

I oh so enjoyed every single millionth of a second spend brutally murdering Ultar Karga

Alchemy is getting good, too, and attributes potions give me yet another edge in combat.

*EDIT*

HAHA, that Necromancer's Orc-Killer is AWESOME!!! Now I get to kill UNDEAD ORCS!

Last edited: Sep 11, 2010
  3. Disciple of The Watch

/thread necromancy

It's been quite some time now, and I must say, despite it's flaws, I LOVE this game.

Having played a tank-type and a mage-type, I decided to experiment with a Ranger-like build, maxing out bow skills and sticking to medium armor (cannot use bow in Plate armor). Playing an archer in TW is a better experience than in Ob, IMO. Properly built, an Archer in TW is a true force to be reckoned with. Hell, I carry dual melee weapons for close-range combat, and most of the time the bow and magic is enough.

Bows in TW have a specific range. Mine has 65m range, so I can snipe away at enemies unseen, and when they run at me like idiots, I unleash a flurry of arrows and down goes they go.

I tried playing an Assassin-type. It is painstakingly difficult. Death Attack is powerful, sure, but sneaking is a pain. Assassin-types enthusiast, stick to Oblivion, it does it better.

$7 that pays serious dividends.

4. Daisuke Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

Since I don't really know where I should ask this, might as well be here. I just got this game not too long ago and I wanted to ask if there was any way to turn the dynamic shadows off. They absolutely murder my frame-rate no matter what I'm playing these days.

5. Merlanni

Merlanni Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
  6. Midnight Carnival Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

Over the past year I've tried well over fifty different PC games and Two Worlds still remains in memory as one of the best so I purchased it for ten from GoG.

There were a lot of complaints about the horse riding and I think I'm the only one to play that game that totally understood how and why the horse operates the way it does.

They tried to make it like a real simulation so often times when the horse gets a mind of its own and starts steering off in a direction that you don't want him to it is because you were either moving him into the vicinity of a another hostile living creature or you were attempting to get him to walk up or down too steep of a slope.

Once I learned what the programmers were trying to do with the horse I was able to manage it quite well and the horse becomes less flakey the more you upgrade your horse riding skill.

The problem that I had with horses is that there were hardly any. If you got killed and your horse ran off, you would probably never find him or another again when you reincarnated. Whistling for the horse only works within short range.

What I liked most about the game is that it was as sweet looking as an XBox 360 game yet it still runs ultra smooth on my seven year old Compaq.

7. Disciple of The Watch

Bit of cheese...

Y'know the quest that requires you to go to the Leaning Elm? See the trainer with the near-complete suit of Yatholen armor and the nifty sword?

If you have reputation with the Giriza, kill his ass, the neighboring Giriza won't give a damn if you do. Pick up the loot, run to the teleport, then teleport anywhere on the map, as long as there is a "Loading". Return to the Leaning Elm. The trainer has respawned. You know what to do. As for the lack of a helm, don't worry about it... with enough patience, an ENTIRE set of Yatholen armor upgraded to Class 50 (the highest possible) provides more than enough defense to offset the lack of a helm a thousand fold. The sword has somewhat high requirements, but upgrade it to Class 50, add some Elemental damage, and you have an instrument of butchery that's going to serve well until better loot comes along. Dual-wield those upgraded swords and you'll be a juggernaut of destruction until the higher levels.

This slice of cheese is an excellent way to reap up some cold hard cash for the higher levels... MUCH needed gold.

And on an different note:

Yamalin Town, the empty town, is a perfect place to stash loot. Just plant a Teleport stone in and you've got your personal stash. It is possible to spawn chests.

Last edited: Nov 27, 2010
  8. Merlanni

Merlanni Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    Lost horses are a pest.

The game is not exactly what I expected. I have a biased feeling of the game.

9. Erod Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

Veteran

The deal on gog.com is great indeed, $10 for the game and two expansion packs. I did not like the game that much though, it is, well, maybe unfinished would describe it best, an unpolished gem.

However, the sequel, Two Worlds 2 looks absolutely great and has received good reviews. It has already been released in certain parts of Europe. The worldwide release is in january. I am definitely going to buy this one.

The Poles are slowly climbing to the top of RPG video game developers with games like this and The Witcher 2 coming a bit later.

Last edited: Nov 28, 2010
  10. Disciple of The Watch

Huh? There are expansion packs to this game? Didn't know that.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.