1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Two Hobbit movies

Discussion in 'Sensorium' started by Aikanaro, Dec 19, 2007.

1. Aikanaro Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

http://www.reuters.com/article/newsOne/idUSN1850603620071218?pageNumber=1&virtualBrandChannel=0
    http://hollywoodinsider.ew.com/2007/12/mgm-ceo-on-the.html

Last I checked there was only one book called The Hobbit (a reasonably short one at that), and Lord of the Rings was its sequel. Nothing of note (certainly nothing involving any hobbits) happens in the 80 years between The Hobbit and LotR.

Sooooo ... this smells like rape to me. Sure - Peter Jackson - yay. But I'm not interested in watching him ruin this.

And the way that the guy in the interview keeps talking about what a great 'property' and 'franchise' it is - those words are creepy. They say to me 'hahaha - we don't give a **** about the story or anything else - it's for making money!' Which, y'know, is the expected way of thinking from a CEO and no doubt the reason why there are two movies. Certainly it isn't because it's needed...

2. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    [​IMG] In case anyone's missed the original press release: http://www.sorcerers.net/forums/showthread.php?t=44999

Hardly anything in Hollywood is done because it's "needed". Hollywood is not a charity, it's there to make money for everyone involved. That's the way the cookie crumbles. I'm quite happy with an extra movie - I'm not sure that this mainstream obsession with fantasy movies is going to last, so striking the iron while it's hot seems prudent.

If the other movie turns out bad you can simply not watch it. And if it's good, that much the better!

3. Barmy Army

Barmy Army Simple mind, simple pleasures... Adored Veteran

Media:
    When you think about it, most book>film adaptations have half the stuff cut out so that the film isn't 5 hours long. Perhaps the idea of 2 parts is that Jackson wants to make sure he can fit everything in?

4. Merlanni

Merlanni Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    At least someone is making fantasy films. the more the better, and after every succes a few more people try fantasy.

5. Giles Barskins Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

I think Barmy's reasoning is sound. Two movies would make it so that they can adapt the book to film as well as they are able without having to sacrifice content for the sake of time.

I don't see the reason to be so pessimistic and jump to the conclusion that everybody associated with the project has dollar signs in their eyes. For Peter Jackson especially, making the LOTR trilogy was a labor of love that stemmed from his love for the books. They just happened to be a HUGE financial success. And rape? Not to be crass, but it's only rape if they say no-- and you can say no by not seeing the movies. So stay home and don't go see how Peter Jackson, whose first run at this (to quote Tal's referenced article) "...The Oscar-winning, critically-acclaimed LOTR Trilogy grossed nearly $3 billion worldwide at the box-office. In 2003, “Return of the King” swept the Academy Awards, winning all of the eleven categories in which it was nominated, including Best Picture – the first ever Best Picture win for a fantasy film. The Trilogy’s production was also unprecedented at the time...." RUINS it.

6. Aikanaro Gems: 31/31

Oh, I'm fine with Peter Jackson, generally. I mean, sure, there are some dodgy bits in the LotR movies (skateboarding Legolas anyone?) but overall they were well done. I'm happy that he has creative oversight, and am happy that a movie of The Hobbit is being made.

But speaking as a bit of an anal Tolkien snot (and definately not from the point of view that the way the movie industry is set up is a good way of producing good movies), the idea of two of them is bleh, because I don't see it working. the impression I have is that there's going to be a movie of The Hobbit and then a sequel set some time in between The Hobbit and LotR but that doesn't have a direct relation with either story.

So from this perspective I'm sure it can't be too hard, even for those who don't share it, to see how I can think that it could be ruined. 'It' being Tolkien's world/setting/story/whatever (no real word for the all encompassing whole of it). I'm sure it'll be a competently made movie, but it smells of 'cash in' rather than 'great work' to me. I imagine that most people can see how that could be considered a bad thing - even while fully appreciating that that's how Hollywood works.

But hey, I'm passionate about the 'franchises' (god I hate that word - so cold and corporate, and yet I can't think of a closer one) that I enjoy, and hate seeing them tampered with. I realise that other people don't necessarily feel that way, but to me it's important that things aren't messed up.

Besides - all that effort being put into a sequel that's unnecessary (to the overall story) when there are so many of Tolkien's other stories that could be told instead. The story of Turin being made into a movie would be pretty great, as would Beren and Luthien, the fall of Gondolin, etc.

While I'm here I think I might voice the distaste I have for the 'if you don't like it, don't see it' arguement. Talk about a way to shut down all discussion beyond the extremely positive...

Edit: Oh, and if Barmy's right (contradicting the news thing I linked), then sure, I don't mind. Still, The Hobbit doesn't lend itself to being cut up like LotR does - there isn't any natural break where you could cut it in order to get two movies both with satisfying climaxes that I can remember.

7. Giles Barskins Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

It doesn't make the arguement any less true, however. Nor does it refute the logic behind it. The average movie-goer sees a film for enjoyment. If you have decided ahead of time that you will not enjoy a certain film, there is no reason to go. For expample: I found Pirates of the Carribean 2 to be so stupid that I have not seen the third installment. Now THERE's two movies that were made to cash in on a franchise.

Now if you want to talk about movie arguements that suck, let us discuss the irrefutable logic behind "if you think this movie sucked, I'd like to see you make a better one!" :p

8. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

I look forward to these movies because they are bound to be entertaining. And if they are rubbish, then so be it. Most of the films around are rubbish so the odds of catching a stinker are pretty high most of the time.

I am also a bit of a Tolkien purist. His books are still my favourites of all time.

But I don't share Aikanaro's concerns this time, because the outcome of these films will do nothing to diminish what I love about the books.

9. kuemper Gems: 31/31

I'm willing to see it/them because it/they can't be worse than this.

10. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

How did that get rated 6.4 out of 10?

11. Montresor

Montresor Mostly Harmless Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder

Media:
    Maybe only the director and his mother plus the cast voted, so it got a 6.4 average. ;) I didn't even know it existed.

Even the old animated LoTR movie gets a 5.7 average which is at least 5.5 too much in my opinion!

12. Aldazar Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

If the 2 movies are definitely one for The Hobbit and one for the gap between that and LoTR, then WTF??

IF, however, the 2 movies are just for The Hobbit, then forgive my possible ignorance (it's been a long time since I last read the book) but how on middle-earth could that book be made into 2 films? From what I remember it's not that long?

13. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    It's going to be 2 separate movies. One for The Hobbit and one to bridge the gap between The Hobbit and LotR. One of the articles linked above spells it out quite clearly.

14. Aldazar Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

My apologies, I failed to check the link before posting but just have, after reading it on IMDB.com, should be interesting to see Sam Raimi's take on it

15. Montresor

Montresor Mostly Harmless Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder

Media:
    *Bump*

It now looks like Guillermo del Toro will produce the movies, with Peter Jackson acting as executive producer.

http://www.reuters.com/article/filmNews/idUSN2842023120080128

16. Cal Jones

Cal Jones I'm not dead yet

Could be interesting, he did a good job with Pan's Labyrinth (though I couldn't believe that face smashing scene, holy mother of god!)

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.