1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Tutu and the Greater Werewolf

Discussion in 'BG2: Throne of Bhaal (Classic)' started by david w, Mar 25, 2004.

1. david w Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

I'm not sure if this is a problem with Tutu or just me being especially bad at combat, but the greater werewolf (the one on the top deck of the ship) seems impossible to kill.

Now he was always hard in the original game but with Tutu installed he seems pretty much invulnerable. I've had him down to badly wounded half a dozen times but he just seems to heal injuries faster than I can inflict them. Even with three NPCs wielding weapons that can hurt him and two mages throwing 4 Magic Missiles a round at him, he just doesn't die.

Has anyone actually succeeded in getting the better of him with Tutu installed? I'm sure he never had this kind of fast healing in the original game.

2. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Aldeth the Foppish Idiot Armed with My Mallet O' Thinking Veteran

Media:
    This has been noted. Drizzit's stuff can hurt him. The +3 quarterstaff can hurt him, and the werewolf-specific stuff should be able to hurt him. Other than that, I don't think you can touch him.

3. david w Gems: 19/31

I *can* hurt him but I just can't kill him. His healing seems to work faster than my damaging him.

Hell with it, he's not immune to CTRL Y.

4. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Media:
    The problem is he is coded like the Greater Werewolves in BG2 - including their fast regeneration ability. That having been said, if you've been able to hurt him significantly, it should be possible to kill him.

5. Mystra's Chosen Gems: 22/31
    Latest gem: Sphene

Haste? How about Doom and summoning spells. Doom = more chance to hit him. Summoning spells = more damage coming at him.

6. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Media:
    He can only be hit by magic weapons, so any summoned creatures will only serve as meat shields - they won't help you kill him.

7. david w Gems: 19/31

I tried a few summons and they didn't work that well. My summoned hobgoblins kept him at bay but even with arrows and spells galore, I wasn't able to inflict enough damage on him to kill him.

I got him down to badly injured several times, but a few seconds go by without me landing a hit on him and he's back up to barely wounded status.

It's pretty much a moot point now anyway. I tried to kill him half a dozen times then gave it up as a bad job and CTRL Y'd him. Normally I'm against outright cheating, but if there's no other way to win a fight I don't see a problem with it.

8. Parvini Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

I'm actually having this very problem right now... I've managed to kill all the other wolfweres up there but the Greater Werewolf remains... I had a ton of summons surrounding him and was pumping him with arrows, bullets, a +3 sword, the lightning hammer and magic missles/ flaming arrows/ acid arrows but he wouldn't die.

I actually paralyzed him so he was frozen and I STILL couldn't get him down, Edwin emptied his spell book (he's at level 8 I think)!!!! I ran out of arrows etc. It seems to be impossble.

9. Macready Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

Hello -

The 29 March 2006 version (or later) of EasyTutu includes a fix to tone down his regeneration rate *considerably* (he has only 40% of his previous regenerative ability).

Even if you aren't playing with that version, it isn't impossible to kill him. The crowning achievement of my last full game (prior to toning down his regen rate) was killing him while soloing a M/T. It took a lot of thinking before I figured out a way to do it. :)

10. Parvini Gems: 10/31

I managed to do it actually...

Paralyze + Polymorph Other!!!

The squirrel doesn't have regen :D

11. Silverstar Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Veteran

I would advice one hit KO spells like Flesh to Stone or Disintegrate, but since you are BG1 you don't have that high levels. So use cheaper solution: Polymorph Other! If the monster blows its save vs polymorph it is as good as dead! The very idea is wicked! :thumb:

12. Desuma Malevois Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

A "Slow" spell should his rate of regeneration.

13. Silverstar Gems: 31/31

Veteran

Oh that is an excellent idea as well.

So, you can add a Greater Malison, and slow spell will be extremely potent, with a save vs spells at -8 penalty! Wand of paralysation also offers -4 save anturally, so with GM it is ineed hard to resist! Polymorph other then should do nicely.

Only, does the monster have MR?

14. henkie

henkie Hammertime Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    Greater Werewolfs have 40% magic resistance in BG2. I assume this is the same in Tutu.

15. Silverstar Gems: 31/31

Veteran

Umm, this may complicate things. Still it is nothing great, and may be bypassed with some luck. Try!

16. Parvini Gems: 10/31

Silverstar... like I said, Wand of Paralyzation + Wand of Polymorph does the trick... he might save vs. but if you surround him with summons he has no chance.

What I did was lure all the other ones to the room below to pick them off. That way I could just concentrate on the big one.

It might take a few goes until he doesn't make his save. The Wand of Paralyzation is very powerful so it shouldn't take long to get him to that stage.

While he's paralyzed you can actually go down stairs and make a quick save. That way you can just keep reloading until he fails his polymorph save.

The magic resistance doesn't help him here as far as I recall. He's vulnerable to magic missile too.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.