1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Turn Undead

Discussion in 'Baldur's Gate (Classic)' started by pokeyloki, Sep 24, 2008.

1. pokeyloki Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

What does it do? I never could figure it out. Does it mean I turn Undead, or is it supposed make Undeaders make a left turn, or into my new best friends? Whenever I've tried it I cant tell what it does. :confused:

2. Iku-Turso Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Media:
    Try it when there's undead around. If the cleric or paladin has enough levels, the undead indeed make a turn.

3. T2Bruno

T2Bruno The only source of knowledge is experience Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    At low levels turn is a lot like the fear -- it basically makes the undead run away for a short time. At higher levels, lesser undead will actually be destroyed.

4. Fly2tHeSkY

Fly2tHeSkY Southern Comfort Veteran

And if you're evil you can sometimes take control of the undead ;)

5. pokeyloki Gems: 3/31

OK, I'll try it 'n see...

Anyway doesn't killing undead seem kinda strange when you think about it? I mean they're already dead... aren't they? It's sort of like when Sponge Bob goes to the beach when he lives at the bottom of the ocean... what are those waves washing up when he's already underwater?:confused:

Caradhras likes this.
  6. Caradhras

Caradhras I may be bad... but I feel gooood! Veteran

Media:
    That's certainly the most disquieting comment I've read in years, resistance is futile, we are doomed, it is all so meaningless.

That's really scary.

Regarding the Undead I will quote Shar Teel: "if it bleeds I can kill it" nevertheless and inspite of the absence of blood (no vampires in BG1), she can be quite efficient against them.

Anyway, if it was logical and consistent I guess these creatures would have to be hacked into pieces in order to attain true death instead of having a Cleric go "boo" at them.;)

7. pokeyloki Gems: 3/31

Well, in an amusing glitch, my character is now dead. He can still walk and talk, but his portrait and inventory are greyed out. One would think that if the main character has died the game would be over, but not here. He comes back dead in both my quicksave and autosave. In my mainsave he's still aliove, but it's one mission back. Oh well, just haffta do it over. Hope this doesnt keep happening.

8. Caradhras

Media:
    Please, take a screenshot. It would be nice to see a living dead character!

9. pokeyloki Gems: 3/31

Sure, except I don't know how to do screenshots, so how do you do that?

I'm thinking of starting a new thread on this as it seems to be a persistent problem. After going back to a "living" save, he got dead again. It happens when I re load from a quick- or auto-save, so I started a new game and it still happens- with This character, but not the other one I am also playing in another game. Could it be that I killed Drizzt and got his Defender, and that is glitching me?

10. Caradhras

Media:
    That's weird. The Defender doesn't do that. Do you have any mods installed?

Check this for a complete guide on taking screenshots right here on SP.

You can upload screenshots on this site. Then just post the link and you're done.

11. Ziad

Ziad I speak in rebuses Veteran

Media:
    Tal is usually looking for screenshots for the Screenshot of the Week, so if it's something unusual or funny it may end up on SP itself.

12. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    [​IMG] You can also upload screenshots to your albums right here. Simply make a public album and then upload your screenshots to it.

13. pokeyloki Gems: 3/31

I tried figuring it out following Caradhras" (after the mountain?) directions, but I got a dum HP w/ vista, and I cant tell if it took a picture or not, or if it did where it could be filed. I dont even know if it has a .bmp extension. Windows help was, as usual, worse than useless, and, after a while fooling with it, I got bored and went and did something else.

I'll take another swipe at it soon, cause it Would be cool to be able to take screen shots, but meanwhile, the glitch is repeatable, and I have a save right before it happens, but when my character "dies", after a few minutes, or if I rest, he starts to feel much better, so it's not a game-ruining, only just an annoying problem.

One interesting thing is if I save while he's "dead", when I reload he really IS dead and the next ranked member of my party becomes the new leader, like Minsc, and they all get to stand there looking at my dead body. Aint it great?

14. Caradhras

Media:
    You are running Vista so you need tp click on "compatibility files" (it should be next to display) in your game folder to access the files.

After the mountain, yes. ;)

15. pokeyloki Gems: 3/31

Aaargh. I'll keep lookin', maybe when I find the games folder that is the right one..

The worst thing is I know when I figure it out, I'l go "Oh!, I should have seen that!'"

16. Caradhras

Media:
    It should be Program Files/Black Isle/Baldur's Gate (unless you changed it of course).

17. pokeyloki Gems: 3/31

Ok, so I go in explore, to program files/Black Isle/Baldurs Gate, I dont see any file, doc, or folder that says compatibility, or display. Also nowhere in any of the sub folders in BG.

Also, I searched for help online, and I havent found the solution yet, but I did find that a LOT of others with HP Pavillion dv6700 notebook / vista cant figure out how to printscreen either. (ruefull grin)

I spose I'll fgure this out eventually. Other than that, you could come over and look at it, but Lugdunum sounds really Faraway, so it's probably not worth the trip

18. Caradhras

Media:
    I'm afraid I can't help you with that (I'm a Vista user and although I appreciate some features this OS can be a real [censored by poster]!!! I remember more than a year ago how much I had to struggle to get Fable to work... Things are getting better though and you don't run into compatibility issues as often as before).

FYI Lugdunum is the ancient name of the city of Lyon (or Lyons in English, I wonder why in English you have to put an 's' to Lyon and Marseille). So unless -and that would be really generous of you- you're willing to offer me a plane ticket to California it's not really practical.;)

Back on topic (more or less) I'd suggest making a new thread about this problem in the Techno-Magic part of the forum. Some SPers are heroes in their own rights and are really gifted in the Dark Arts of computer magic and others who are unfortunate enough to run Vista (following the golden rule of "if it works why fix it" have been forced to change their OS to Vista when buying a new computer) may have run into the same problem.

19. pokeyloki Gems: 3/31

Thanks for the ref Caradras, I put a post up.

I figured Lugdunum was one of those Roman type places. I got drunk in Lyon once (Pernod 51).

20. pokeyloki Gems: 3/31

I was able to send a screen shot to Screenshot of the Week. I haven't figured out how to post it here, or if I even can, but anyway, thanks for helping me through this.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.