1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Turn undead

Discussion in 'BG2: Shadows of Amn (Classic)' started by kingsgambit, Dec 22, 2001.

1. kingsgambit Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Throughout SoA both Keldorn and Viconia have this ability sitting there where a quick spell or weapon might've gone...but during numerous fights with undead I've tried clicking it and nothing happens...how does it work? How and when is it good to use?What does the Turn Undead level mean? Do different undead require you to have different TU levels? Any advice on this skill would be appreciated. Does it work on vampires/liches?

2. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Hmm, many questions...

1. You need to have AI turned off, otherwise when you click it during a fight, it'll only last for one second before your characters go into default attack mode which will prevent turning undead. To turn undead, they must not attack with weapons or do anything else at the time. That's why most people never use it, or if they do, don't get it why it doesn't work (because of the AI/script thing.)

2. It works in a way that it either turns undead (makes them scatter, run away), or destroys them outright. A high level cleric or paladin for instance wouldn't just turn normal skeletons, he'd turn them to dust right away. Evil clerics can sometimes control undead with this ability.

3. It's good to use it (or better, only useful for) figthing undead. Any type, skeletons, vampires, liches etc.

4. Turn undead level means what level of undead you can turn at this point. The higher level the undead are, the harder it is to turn them.

5. Different undead do require different TU levels. (The tougher they are, the higher level you have to be to turn them.)

This about covers it. ;)

[This message has been edited by Taluntain (edited December 22, 2001).]

3. Namuras Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

Keldorn, being an inquisitor, can not turn undead.

Anyway, a high level cleric or paladin (other than inquisitor) is the best weapon against undead. The turn undead ability works like this: You click the turn undead button, and wait until the text 'Turning Undead' (or something like that) appear on the bottom of the screen. During this time, you may move, but not attack. Then, if you succeed in your turning, the undead will either flee, explode or be charmed (evil cleric required). The ability only works if you are near undead (or a paladin if your cleric is evil), of course ;).

Yes, it works on vampires and liches. I could use turn undead to kill a vampire on ~level 15 (maybe earlier) with my cleric. Thus, a paladin would have to be ~level 17 to kill vampires.
    I'm not sure what level you need in order to kill/charm a lich, though.

This is a really nice ability when you're facing hordes of undead. Just walk in and watch them explode. :evil:

Gaah! Too slow! ;)

[This message has been edited by Namuras (edited December 22, 2001).]

4. Black Rose Guest

So Viconia can charm undead.. Damn. This makes up for her low Con and Strength that I'm suffering with right now..

5. kingsgambit Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Taluntain, Namuras, thanks for the info. I didn't realise it was such a useful skill. I don't think I used it once...probably because of the AI thing...which would explain why a single mouse click didn't trigger it! I think I'm gonna see what happens if I take Viconia to pay Kangaxx a visit at or around Chapter 6, maybe Bodhi too...ooh the possibilities. ;)
    I take it druids don't have the skill? I think that's quite interesting then...Clerics and Druids have magic in common and Clerics and Paladins have other skills in common...a lot of linking in...but that's a different topic.

6. Spudsquisher Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

If you want to use turn undead effectively, turn off party AI, with it on, you will tell someone to turn undead, they will start doing it, then they will see an enemy and attack them, and thus stop turning undead

[oh yeah.. odd, when I posted that I was thinkging, "wonder why no-one has said that you can't attack while doing it" sorry tal, must be the christmas euphoria - we made snowmen! :)]

[This message has been edited by Spudsquisher (edited December 23, 2001).]

7. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Um, yea, this is what I said. :rolleyes:

8. Lord Sarevok Guest

I'm just seeing this ability's true potential! I walk into a room and 5 seconds later all undead go splat, even mummies! I love it!

9. Alyr Arkhon Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

[​IMG] Yes, nothing better than watch Viconia's little servants, while they're killing their former friends...

10. Lord Sarevok Guest

Heh, that's cool but killing them ends it once and for all, and you get the experience too (actually you get the experience but not if the charmed creatures are killed). Heh, next game I'll try charming all of the undead in Bohdi's lair, then using them as cannon fodder against her :grin::grin::grin:.

[This message has been edited by Lord Sarevok (edited December 28, 2001).]

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.