1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Turn off the laser on optical mice without turning off the computer

Discussion in 'Techno-Magic' started by SlickRCBD, Jan 19, 2018.

1. SlickRCBD Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Resourceful Adored Veteran

Media:
    I just made the mistake of having something sticky on my hand when I tried to use my PS/2 optical mouse and it got on the mouse mat, which got on the bottom of the mouse, which caused the mouse to not track properly due to it blocking the laser.
    I was in the middle of something and did not want to close all the windows and turn off the computer, but this made cleaning the mouse difficult since I could not look at it for fear of getting a laser beam in the eye.

Getting at the PS/2 port on the back of the computer is not easy, with the way the CPU is tucked in it is a right PITA, and hot plugging PS/2 mice sometimes results in minor issues.

Is there any way to temporarily turn off the laser (or the whole mouse) without turning off the computer in Windows 7, clean the mouse, and then turn it back on when it is done?

With the previous mouse, I could just flip it over and take the ball out, but not so with this replacement for fear of the laser.

2. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    You don't need to worry about the laser in a computer mouse; it's not a high power device. Don't deliberately stare at the thing, but quick inadvertent laser beams in the eye from a laser mouse will not do damage.

But I imagine if you go into the device manager and disable the mouse device it would turn it off.

3. SlickRCBD Gems: 29/31

Media:
    I tried that, and while the mouse stopped moving the pointer, it did not turn off the laser. Maybe the laser works as long as the mouse is plugged in and there is no way to turn it off. I should have mentioned that.

I'm not at my best right now. For the first time in over 20 years I've contracted the flu, even though I had a flu shot back at the start of November but I'm told this is a particularly virulent strain and at least two people have died from it in the Chicago area. I haven't gotten the flu since they started offering them to the general public instead of limited distribution back in the fall of 1997.
    I know, odd way of phrasing it, but my mother was able to get a flu shot in the fall of 1996 through some program via the special ed Co-Op N.S.S.E.O. that she used to work for, but was unable to get one for me as it was administered during a co-op wide Institute Day and my doctor was unaware of where I could obtain one at the time, only that they were in limited distribution.

4. Keneth Gems: 29/31

★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran

Media:
    If there's no power switch on the mouse, then the answer is "no". I'm assuming the power is supplied by the cord from the PS/2 port, so short of unplugging it or turning off the machine, there's no way to turn it off. But you don't need to worry about the laser anyway, just take a cotton swab or something and clean the thing while it's on.

5. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    What about putting the computer to sleep / hibernation?

6. SlickRCBD Gems: 29/31

Media:
    I did not think of hibernation, but sleep mode has been broken for the last 5 years.

Hibernate works! I did not think trying of that, thank you.
    However, the computer in my bedroom is the one with the problems I mentioned in this thread:
    http://www.sorcerers.net/community/...ing-asleep-for-a-long-time.56770/#post-770531
    Only unlike initially described, the problem happens immediately upon putting it to sleep such that sleep is worse than useless.
    I never did figure out the problem, even reinstalling Windows 7 did not help. Not that I expected it to since it was a duel-boot computer and both OSes were affected.
    If anybody has any more suggestions on fixing THAT issue, (and if Taluntain doesn't mind) please necro the thread.

Last edited: Feb 3, 2018
Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.