1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Turn-based

Discussion in 'Pool of Radiance: Ruins of Myth Drannor' started by Mithrilhammer, Aug 30, 2000.

1. Mithrilhammer Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

[​IMG] This is going to sound incredibly naive but I haven't played any turn-based games. I was always playing actual AD&D until Baldur's Gate came out (yes, I WAS living under a rock). Would someone be kind enough to explain it for me?

2. Fihnakis Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

Hopefully this will help.

Turn-based combat goes in a sequential order that is determined by character initiative. The easiest way to explain initiative is that if you have the best roll your character gets first swing. Here's an example. Your party consists of one barbarian and one sorcerer and they encounter 3 skeletons. The DM (your PC) rolls for initiative and your barbarian rolls highest, followed by skeleton A, then your sorcerer, followed by the remaining two skeletons (B & C). The barbarian gets first swing at skeleton A. That is the end of your barbarian's turn. Skeleton A was next so it takes a stab at your barbarian. Turn completed. Sorcerer casts a spell that takes three turns to complete. This makes it skeleton B's turn, then skeleton C's turn. After those two turns are completed, it's back to your barbarian. He makes a fatal blow to skeleton A, which ends that turn but because this makes three turns completed, your sorcerer's spell gets launched desecrating the two remaining skeletons.

3. Mithrilhammer Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

[​IMG] Actually that did help. Thanks! I know about initiative but I wasn't sure how it ran on a computer game but it's clear to me now! :)

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.