1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Turn Based Combat in a Dungeon Crawl

Discussion in 'Pool of Radiance: Ruins of Myth Drannor' started by Crawl, Oct 9, 2001.

1. Crawl Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

I've only recently thought of this after reading a post in this forum. I know turn based combat isn't popular aroud here, even though I persoanlly don't mind it, especially under third edition rules. But PoR:2 is basically one big dungeon crawl of a game. I was wondering if turn based combat really kills the pace of the game and slows it down too much to the point where progress is tedious. Or does it not affect gameplay that much. While I haven't played it, and while I think thrid edition rules hold up best with turn based, I also think with game play so focused on fighting, the enjoyment of the game is soemwhat ruined by going into turn based fights every minute or two. If I'm wrong or off base, or if you comptely agree with me, lets here it. What do you who have played PoR:2 think.

2. dmartin797 Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

In the old days of games like the first "Pool of Radiance" (okay it wasn't that long ago), when I played them on my Commodore 64, were turned based. After a few years I was quite used to it. Especially since I was a DM and it was similar to the same way I ran my games: one person at a time.

Later came "Baldur's Gate" which changed a lot. No longer truly turned based (even the pause options didn't compare) and I found it confusing. Later I got used to it and enjoyed it.

Now that there's a new "Turned Based" game will I get used to that one? I think single player will be fine but multiplayer will be too slow to be effectivly engaging. But hey, it's something to play before "Neverwinter Nights" comes out.

I hope "Neverwinter Nights" comes out soon...

3. Gunthar Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

Turn based is good for regular fighting, but its basically impossible to sneak up on ennemies or to sneak by them which is quite annoying.

4. Subra Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

Veteran

It takes a very long to proceed through even the most basic encounters this way. This game drags. Excuse me, I'm glad my game store gave me store credit for returning Cesspool of Radiance.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.