1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

trying new things

Discussion in 'BG2: Shadows of Amn (Classic)' started by San Ti, Apr 22, 2005.

1. San Ti Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

[​IMG] well after quite a long time a started palying BG2 SoA and i would like you to help me in some things. First things first: I want to solo for once more SoA (I have already done so with an assasin, a sorcerer and OF COURSE a monk) so who do you suggest? Whith what items should i equip him? If i have to take one character with me who do you think that i should?im between edwin viconia or anomen...

2. Marcus_Giden Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

I've soloed with Mage, F/M and right now I'm soloing a F/M/T. Another time when I played mage I picked up Haer' Dalis and Viccy. Very cool party.

3. Deuce Gems: 5/31

Well, if you're looking for "new things" I'd guess you should try a Divine caster type (Cleric or Druid) or a Fighter type. For the former, specialty Priests can help boost power with no real disadvantage trade off. For the latter, Berserkers and Barbarians get lots of nice resistances, while Pallys and Rangers will have some level of spell (or spell-like) useage. You could also split the difference and play a Fighter/Cleric or Fighter/Druid multi or dual.

4. Sticker Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

Try a bard, blade maybe and if you wan't to duo take Aerie ;) Viccy if you're like evil chicks.

5. Blog Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

Trying new stuff is really what makes this game replayable. Whatever you end up doing, as long as it's new to you, you will enjoy it.

My current run through the game incorporated many new things. I took a Wizard Slayer dual classed to a Druid. I never used either class before. Quite a powerful combination as it turns out; iron skins offset the average Wizard Slayer AC (can't use rings/cloaks to boost AC) and the healing spells offset his inability to drink healing potions.

I also did Jaheira's romance for the first time, and also the Druid stronghold (it sucks... but still new). No mage spells in the party was also a first. So yeah... put lots of new stuff into your next game and you won't regret it.

6. Caradhras

Caradhras I may be bad... but I feel gooood! Veteran

Media:
    @San Ti: Just like Deuce and Blog said, give a try to divine casters. You've already soloed with three powerful classes so I'd advise you to try a Ranger/Cleric for a change. With the Ranger/Cleric you'll have the best divine caster ever and a really good fighter to boot.

@Sticker: it's true that the Blade can be a lot of fun but it seems that San Ti needs to try something quite different.

7. Silverstar Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Veteran

If you look for new things, play Thorne of Bhaal with your favourite char! Then, once you finish it, install tactics mode and start the game from SoA with the very char. you finished ToB! Play solo Tactics mode in Insane difficulty if you DARE, for tactics mode makes the game uber hard and fun! ( you CAN'T know how bosses are powerfull, smart! and cheesy!)
    Be sure to download a good xp remover! Also install ease of use mods and every part of the Tactics mode!
    You will have GREAT FUN!!!

8. Isshy Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

I agree with Caradhras (the cruel mountain?). I'd go with a Ranger dueled to cleric at level 7 as soon as you get out of the cage in Irenicus' dungeon (That is if you're only playing SOA because of experience cap). The R/C is quite powerful and can accomodate different styles of play. Very good AC and decent Thac0 and HP. Can cast both druid and cleric divine spells (Protection from Evil and PFE'10, armor of faith, bless, chant, flame blade for trolls, animate dead and many other summoning spells, holy might, find traps, farsight, true seeing, pixie dust, silence '15, dispel magic, Iron skins & barkskin, blade barrier, creeping doom, curative & restoration/resurrection spells, entangle, free action, negative plane protection, chaotic commands, finger of death, gate, natures beauty, etc. etc. and all this while wearing heavy armor..WOW!). He is great at melee as well. I would dual wield hammers and flails with proficiencies in maces as well for the vampires/undead (he can only use blunt weapons so don't put any points in bows or swords and the like when you create him). I'd use strength and AC increasing items although he could make do without them due to iron skins, holy might etc. If you want to take along an NPC I'd suggest Edwin, but it's not necessary. I played this character and by act 3 or 4 most of my party became useless cuz he was so strong. The only drawbacks are he is rather weak until he gets his ranger abilities back at level 7, but that happens pretty quickly in act 1, and he can't open locks very well. If you do this remember not to put cleric proficiency points in anything you have ranger points in because you'll lose them when he gets his ranger abilities back at level 7. IIRC you will also need minimum 15 in STR and DEX and at least 17 in wisdom and of course the higher the CON the better so you might wanna cut INT and CHA a bit low unless you wanna roll a lot. I guess you could always put CHA real low to get 18 in STR, DEX, CON and WIS then use the 'Set CHA to 18' ring for NPC interactions...(I forget that rings name). Alternatively you could set STR to 15 and use a STR enhancing belt/holy might. I ended up using the STR belts until I got Crom Faeyr...after that he was truly godly.

[ April 23, 2005, 22:31: Message edited by: Isshy ]

9. Caradhras

Caradhras I may be bad... but I feel gooood! Veteran

Media:
    @Isshy: you mean the Ring of Human Influence
    (and yes it's the cruel mountain ;) )

10. Misantrophe Gems: 5/31

i soloed (finished) F/T/M, Sorc, R/C, M/T and i started with many times with different classes but didnt complete the game. since you did assasin, and sorc you have an idea about F/T/M so i say try shapeshifter... and tell me how it was :) that is one of the very few classes i havent tried

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.