1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Trouble installing BG1 from mounted image

Discussion in 'Baldur's Gate (Classic)' started by PaladinWhitestar, May 21, 2010.

1. PaladinWhitestar Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

I have the Baldur's Gate compilation and am trying to install it from mounted images using Daemon Tools Lite. But when I mount the image for BG1 and it brings up the screen with the Install button, I click Install and nothing happens. I get the hourglass mouse cursor for a moment, then it returns to a normal mouse cursor and nothing more happens. I tried copying all the files from the mounted disk image to my hard drive, then ran the autorun file and tried to install from there, but the same thing happened. If I try to run BGMain.exe or BGMain2.exe, I get the error message:

An assertion failed in d:bad:dev\chitin\chitin.cpp at line number 1376
    Programmer says: Error initializing key table, bad key file

However, I seem to be able to install BG2 just fine at this point (the installation is going in the background as I type this).

Does anyone have any idea how I can fix this problem? If so, please be very specific and detailed in describing the solution. Thanks!

2. Drugar

Drugar And now... we wait! Veteran

Media:
    Hi,

I had the exact same problem when installing BG1 on a Windows 7 64-bits machine.

The solution for me was to run the setup.exe file from the mounted CD in elevated mode. Do the following:

- Browse to the CD
    - Find the setup.exe file
    - Click the setup.exe file with the right mouse button
    - Choose the option "Run as Administrator" from the context menu
    - Install the game

This worked for me.

Mark

3. PaladinWhitestar Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

Got it working

I did what you suggested, but got the same effect I had been getting when clicking on the install button (i.e. nothing happened). But I noticed that in WinPatrol, there was a setup.exe stuck in the Active Tasks, and I couldn't successfully kill task on it for some reason. So I initiated a restart, and in the process, I got an "end task" request for realupdate and divxupdate. After ending task on both of those, the BG1 install finally kicked in an instant before the computer rebooted. After reboot, clicking the install button as per normal method worked just fine. So apparently, one or both of the updates was interfereing somehow with the BG1 setup. Who would have guessed? Anyway, thanks for the help!

4. Drugar

Drugar And now... we wait! Veteran

Media:
    You're welcome.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.