1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Trial in Neverwinter (spoilers)

Discussion in 'Neverwinter Nights 2' started by khaavern, Dec 27, 2006.

1. khaavern Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

What's up with the trial by Lord Nasher in Chap II? I gathered all the clues (at least enough to satisfy Sand), I listened to Sand during the trial and did not attempt Diplomacy of Bluff checks (I have some skill points in Diplomacy, but not maxed; it's a cross class skill anyhow) and I still get declared guilty? Is it possible to actually win that trial if you don't have maxed Diplomacy or bluff?

And to cap it all, my opponent in the arena is unkillable for a good amount of time (apparently frenzy makes you invulnerable? WTF?) So what's a low AC wizard supposed to do? run around hoping he does not get hit?

2. Celesialraven Gems: 11/31
    Latest gem: Bloodstone

I'm unsure as to #1, as I had diplomacy maxed.

As to #2, you can run around blasting and praying (it IS technically possible to win), or you can use Khelgar as your champion - the developers allowed for a substitution for this reason

3. khaavern Gems: 14/31

So you can win the trial with maxed Diplomacy. I thought so, but... I should have ignored Sand, and tried some diplomacy checks. I think I have a +8 modifier, anyhow.

As about the fight: I was able to win it with the wizard, too, once I knew what to expect. But I never saw this frenzy stuff before; and I was caught unawares. It was pretty funny, too; on the first try, after I succeded in reducing Lorne to about 20% health, I thought "let's end this with style" and proceeded to cast Tenser's transformation. Automatically went from an AC of about 28 to an AC of 19; let's say I was quite surprised to find myself unable to damage the guy, and pretty much reduced to the status of punching bag. Oh well, it was funny after I finished swearing :)

4. Sir Belisarius

Sir Belisarius Viconia's Boy Toy Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder

Media:
    I won my trial...But I'm playing a paladin with high Diplomacy (plus I think I took it as a feat - LOL!). I'm sure anyone with high enough intel/bluff/intimdation could win it.

5. Flirno Dale Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

I won the trial with a fighter (I took the Able Learner feat) with Diplomacy as high as I could get it without any buffs or item bonuses.

6. Sir Fink Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

You can win or lose the trial a number of ways. The thing is it doesn't really matter as you, win or lose, you end up fighting the Frenzied Berzerker guy. I think if you win you'll find an amulet of True Seeing back at the Sunken Flagon -- a gift from Lord Nasher.

A wizard beats the FB with a Bigby's Forceful Hand and then just nuke him as he lies there helpless. Wait until his frenzy wears off to deliver the killing blow.

7. khaavern Gems: 14/31

Well, I cast Bigby's Hand twice (the version available at lev 6) and he saved both times. Also, that frenzy lasts a damn long time (at least 10 rounds) because I cast a slow on him at some point, and it expired while he was still frenzied.

8. Drake-td Gems: 1/31

I won the trial by constantly selecting the [Taunt] option. I was a figher without any conversation skill (I didn't pick Intimidate) and it worked just fine.

I also bought Shandra her painting from that artist on the street so that I get +4 INF with her for the trial - I think this helped too.

9. Saul Darkfire Gems: 1/31

[​IMG] Diplomacy?? What a BORING way to win the trial.

A MUCH more fun way is this :-

Choose Chaotic Good alignment.

Maximise your Bluff skill.

Be VERY nice to the street urchins in the Docks/Merchant quarter. (If ever you wondered what these encounters were for, this is it :) )

Stride into the courtroom, don't bother with the real evidence or witnesses just defend yourself with a pack of bold outrageous lies.

If you tell it right and have enough Bluff skill you'll win easily and it's well worth it just to see the look on Sand's face :D

10. Loncaros Gems: 1/31

You're guilty because Nasher is Lawful Evil :p

He'd sacrifice an innocent for his own good.

11. The Magister Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Media:
    I made it out of that situation with a high lore skill (when your called to the stand it's an option) and having lots of evidence. Also disproving the lying whitness and just talking to Shandra before the trial (if you do that right you can agin about +6 INF).

As for the fight, I got Khelgar to go in my place.

12. Flirno Dale Gems: 1/31

I'll have to try bluffing my way through next time.

13. khaavern Gems: 14/31

I don't know, I guess I felt a bit railroaded. After I gathered all that evidence, there was no occasion to present it at the trial. And really, you'd think you have a pretty ironclad case; after all what witnesses do the Luskan guys have? Not to mention the fact that the trial is supposed to take place in a friendly venue; you'd think that Neverwinter would be happy for an occasion to throw the Luskan lies back in their teeth.

14. Master Leo Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

as sand says, evidence isn't really that important in the trial (luskans probably also deliver some evidence), it's mostly a battle of words, whose words sound more convincing

if you win the trial by yourself you get a master orator background feat, large exp bonus and a gift from nasher (amulet of true seeing)

if you win, luskans call upon trial by combat, equally if you lose you do the same so in any case you get to fight lorne (frenzied berserker) in the arena

basically the fight with him can be broken into two phases:
    1) bring him down to 1hp so he triggers zerk
    2) burn time (10 rounds?) so his berserk state ends and he becomes vulnerable again

with khelgar, beat him until he loses all hitpoints, then knockdown him and run away from him as far as possible so he needs to catch up, then KD him again and repeat until you see the zerk icon flash up. kill

with qara, cast great stoneskin, cast haste, then run away from him and blast empowered firebrand/CoC so he is down to 1 hp, then just burn time, casting bigby's or what ever else you want until it's time to finish him off

any wizard/bard/cleric should have an easy time in this battle since lorne is vulnerable to mind attack and knockdown so just prepare proper spells, and haven song works wonders to make this fight easy because he just runs away from you lol!

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.