1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Traveling

Discussion in 'Sorcerous Sundries' started by Laiwethel, May 8, 2005.

1. Laiwethel Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

I realize I haven't been around the boards very much lately, but seeing as exams and the stress of moving have been upon me, I hope it's understandable.

I'm currently posting from the US of A, and soon, well, in two weeks, will be not on this continent. I shall be in Greece, more specifically Athens, Santorini and Crete. If any of you have been to any of those places, and have recommendations of places to visit while I'm there (if I have free time), please, let me know!

2. Wordplay Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Good for you! Now STAY there and forget all about A. ;)

(And do not forget to visit the temples.)

3. chevalier

chevalier Knight of Everfull Chalice ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    You'll probably be seeing those places in Athens anyway. Haven't seen much more than the Acropolis, the Olympic Stadium and museum halls. Oh, and the market, of course. The same place where the ancient agora was. There's also a nice Orthodox cathedral near there. Saint Michael's IIRC but not for sure.

Never been to Crete or Santorini. For some relax, might wish to take a whole day trip to one of those warm little islands with crystal clear water. It was Skiathos for me, but there are many.

Maybe a trip to see the meteora if you're into it. Those are the mostly mediaeval Orthodox monasteries on barely accessible mountains. Nowadays, there are roads there and buses can make it, but the monks had to use ropes in the past.

Where's BOC or Mithrantir when you need them...

4. BOC

BOC Let the wild run free Veteran

Well, here I am, so let's begin.

Athens: Of course you must visit Acropolis and its surrounding areas (Plaka, Monastiraki, Herodeion, Thiseion, Syntagma Square (you have to see the patrols of the Presintential Guard), National Library, Academy of Athens, the old building of Athens University, Hermou Street,the gate of Andrian and the Temple of Zeus). Other places of interest are the two hills (Filopapou and Lykabetus), and Panathinaikon Studium where the first modern Olympic games took place. Almost all the museums are in the centre of the city, which also has many neoclassical buildings, which were built during 19th century by the german architect Chiller. As far as night life is concerned, there are many pubs and clubs in the centre of the city, but during summer the majority of the people go to the clubs, which are almost upon the beach in Poseidonos Avenue. Now, I don't want to ruin your expectations, but if you believe that you will find a dream city, you will be dissapointed. Athens has many beautful places ,but as a city with 5 million inhabitants, it has many ugly places, a terrible traffic problem, pollution and some dangerous places. Do not walk alone in the streets near the Omonoia Square at night.

Santorini: Believe it or not I have never been there, this island has become too trendy for my taste, so except of the volcano and the excahavations I don't know something else about it.

Crete: Crete is a big island and I don't know if you will have the time to see it all. Agios Nikolaos, Chania and Rethymno are the most beautiful cities, Ierapetra is nothing special, and Herakleion is one of the dirtiest cities I have ever seen (perhaps things are different now, the last time, that I was there, was 15 years ago). You have to visit the ruins of Knossos and Faistos, Samaria's Canyon, the Monastery of Arkadi, Chersonisos and the palm forest of Vai. Also, all the island is full of wonderful beaches. Finally a warning about the locals. They are nice people and they welcome tourists but they have a strange sense of honour (if they know you and offer to buy you drink or food and you refuse, they will be offended) and they have one common thing with the Americans. They believe to their right to bear arms.

5. Mesmero

Mesmero How'd an old elf get the blues?

Vai Beach on Crete is pretty cool. Bring a snorkel if you're going there. It may not have the most exotic fishes in the sea, but there is still plenty to see.

If you don't mind a history lesson, take a tour of Spinalonga. It's a small island with a Venetian fortress in Elounda Bay (near Agios Nikoloas). It was an important stronghold in some war (can't remember which one, it has been a while since I visited Crete) and it was later used as a leper colony.

6. Laiwethel Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

Wow, thanks for all the info, guys!

The reason I'm visiting Santorini is to check out the excavations at Akrotiri (being the Classics nut that I am), and I'm actually participating in an excavation on Crete at a place called Azoria. I'll be staying in Pacheia Ammos, not too far from Agios Nikolaos.

If there's any other tidbits of info, or any travelling advice, I'd definately appreciate it!

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.