1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Transparent Characters and Dungeon Walls

Discussion in 'Pool of Radiance: Ruins of Myth Drannor' started by Albert Rose, Jan 6, 2006.

1. Albert Rose Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

[​IMG] Hello, folks.

I have recently purchased a new computer. I couldn't wait to play one of my favorite games again, and set everything up, including the newxp mod, the speed mod and the 1.4 Patch.

My problem is, the characters are all transparent. When I tramp through the dungeons, the walls are often transparent. It's annoying! How do I fix this?

Thanks ahead of time.

2. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    I've never played the game, but it probably has some 3D settings that you should be able to play with to counter this.

3. ToddMcF2002 Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

Someone else was talking about this recently and it turned out to be a vid-card driver bug. I'll see what I can dredge up...

OK. Do you have an NVidia card? Try going into the Control Panel of your system (not the game) and turning off Anti-Aliasing (FSAA - might be called smooth vision or some such nonsense). Apparently FSAA can make your characters transparent for whatever reason.

Google on "POR2 transparent characters" and you'll get some hits in Groups.

4. Albert Rose Gems: 1/31

Thanks! I'll do that and report back. Eventually.

5. Nykidemus Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

I dont suppose anyone's paying attention to these old threads, but on the off chance that a knowledgeable individual wanders by, I've been having this same issue. I did manage to find a reference to it on ubisofts site, and their incredibly unhelpful response was that there is a known issue with POR2 and the Radeon Catalyst drivers. I've heard rumors that this can be gotten around by fiddling with the anti-aliasing settings, but I've been unsuccessful in figuring it out myself. Anyone with a workaround will be my hero.

After several hours of fiddling, and a tremendous dearth of information on the problem available online, I found that it'll fix if you go into dxdiag and disable direct draw acceleration. I hope this is helpful for anyone else with this problem.

Last edited: Mar 24, 2009
  6. crkmonkee Gems: 1/31

how do you

how do you "disable direct draw acceleration", the diagnosis is simply a diagnosis tool and does not allow me to change the settings (and i am learning my way through windows 7)

if anyone has an answer for me (i have the same problem, i have shadow characters on my game), please e-mail me at
    crkmonkee ..at.. yahoo.com

thx

tim

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 16, 2010
Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.