1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Toughest class/kit to solo?

Discussion in 'BG2: Shadows of Amn (Classic)' started by Dielzen, May 18, 2004.

1. Dielzen Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

Any opinions? Want a GOOD solo challenge, not the (boring) M/T style of char.

Thinking a melee w/little casting is the toughest, like a Fighter or Monk type

2. Niskers Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

I found a solo monk to be a bit of a challenge, but I got distracted I didn't play too far into the game.

3. casey Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

Straight Druid or Theif

4. Golden Avenger Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

Use a straight cleric with less than 15 strength and constitution, It will be tough to get out of Chateu Irenicus

5. Commandante Gems: 2/31

straight shapeshifter before rebalancing

6. Sarevok• Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

Normal thief or perhaps a bard of some sort.

7. Razal'dar Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

Apparantly bards are easy to solo. I wouldn't know i've never tried to solo. it would have to be straight thief.

8. Wizard of Thay Gems: 2/31

I would have to say a straight fighter would be the hardest, because you would have to know where every single trap was in the game, and alot are very deadly.

9. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Aldeth the Foppish Idiot Armed with My Mallet O' Thinking Veteran

Media:
    How about a wizard slayer? That would be damn near impossible. You can't disarm the traps, and you can't wear items that give immunity to the (typically) elemental damage they inflict.

10. Djieff Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

Definitely straight thief (no kit): no melee power and no magic whatsoever. Enjoy those invisibility potions, they won't last long!

All the other classes have at least some magic or fighting prowess or a special ability of some sort to fall back on.

A sorcerer that picks only the absolute crappiest spells would also be worth considering.

11. Earl Grey

Earl Grey Mmm... hot tea! Veteran

[​IMG]
    Wizard Slayer isn't that hard. :D
    Read my old story about Gloin Bonehead, a soloing dwarven Wizard Slayer.

12. Faraaz Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

I'd recommend a solo straight Thief if you want to tax yourself too much.

Bards get obscenely powerful if used the right way...same goes for ANY fighter kit, or ANY spell casting class. If it casts spells, you can make enough of them to make the class half-way decent to powerful.

Edit: New Gem...WOOO HOOOOOO!!! This one looks nice to boot! :D

13. Harkle Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

Assassin could be harder to solo than straight thief, because assassins get only 15 skill points per level and their special abilities aren't so good at all.

14. Faraaz Gems: 26/31

What're you saying Harkle?!?! Assassins are GODS!! They are so powerful, it isnt even funny! 7x backstab, poison weapon, +1 to hit and damage (okay, this isnt a biggie)...not so good??!?

Since the guy wants to solo, all he has to do is stick it out through like half of chapter 2, and do a few delivery errands and stuff, to get easy XP, and then, once he gets around 90-100 in hide in shadows and move silently, there's no stopping him!!

Seriously...Assassins are NOT what you would want to recommend for a difficult solo!

15. Cryohydropyro Gems: 2/31

I think the hardest class to use in a solo adventure is a sorcerer. But since we're speaking of kits, I think that the Bard kit Jester is the hardest. His nearly-useless Bard song, coupled up with the fact that bards stop singing while doing something else, is not enough to make him survive even the Underdark.

16. dmc

dmc Speak softly and carry a big briefcase Staff Member Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    @ cryo - I couldn't disagree with you more. The sorcerer is probably the easiest class to solo behind some fighter/thief combo (with or without mage thrown in for laughs). In fact, the character gets boring after a while because there is exactly zero chance of death when you summon an army, cast mislead, hide your clone, and wait. Alternatively, you can unload your spell book on a group of enemies, and, after the image disappears, do it again. You can also protect against divination spells with spell immunity, so your guy can't be seen by enemy spellcasters.

17. Cryohydropyro Gems: 2/31

DMC: Frankly, I didn't looked at it that way... Guess I'm not much of a soloist...

But still, I really had a hard time going through the Underdark with a sorcerer. Sometimes, I don't get a chance to rest to restore my spells... But your tactic seems to be a very good, albeit tricky, one...

18. Faraaz Gems: 26/31

Well...when you go for the less subtle means of soloing...(chunk everything that moves) you tend to get chunked yourself... :p

Trickiness is where its at for solos my dear Cryo...

Mage/Thief, Sorcerer, Fighter/Mage, Fighter/Thief...these are the easiest solos.

19. Malovae Gems: 18/31
    Latest gem: Horn Coral

How about the Jester, Avenger (up until lvl 15), Berserker (they have good immunities under berserk but thats about it) and the Beast Master.

20. caldurin Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

Maybe the Beast Master,
    While you may summon some animal fodder, no metal weapons could get challenging. Never tried it though but think about only using clubs, staffs, and slings.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.