1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Toughest Battle

Discussion in 'BG2: Throne of Bhaal (Classic)' started by Hux, Nov 4, 2005.

1. Hux Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

Hey guys. Just wondering what you reckon the toughest battle (not creature) is in ToB (does not include mods or add-ons).

I think that Draconis or maybe Demogorgan might be the toughest battle.

Illesara, Yaga-Shura, Balthazar and Melissan were surprisingly easy. Abazigal was way easier than Draconis.

Draconis was so annoying because once he was in dragon form and was down to badly injured or near death, he would always use wing buffet, then turn invisible (if you do not have any true sight, etc, not sure if he was non-detectable) and heal himself back to uninjured not to mention the fact that he is immune most weapons and magic.

Demogorgan was also a pain because he was immune to many things as well. You'd think though that the prince of demons would be MUCH more challenging but I guess they just wanted to put a cool fight with a tough, major guy in the game.

So what do you guys think is the toughtes battle?

2. Felinoid

Felinoid Who did the what now? ★ SPS Account Holder

[​IMG] The toughest battles in ToB are personal ones:
    </font>
    1. Against my determination not to use cheese against cheesy enemies
    2. Against my desire to kill every other character in that part of the game
    3. Against my desire to just shut the bloody thing off ;)

3. Goli Ironhead Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

Sendai and Draconis, especially Sendai in my unpatched game (that computer had no internet connection). In unpatched she could do the statue trick again and again, i had gone trough the whole battle four times in a row when she finally died! :mad:

And Draconis is, well... Draconis.

4. olimikrig

olimikrig Cavalier of War Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Draconis! Most definately Draconis! Abigazal was a joke next to this guy, I can't count on one hand the number of times I had to re-load when fighting him for the first time :flaming: .

5. Thor Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

The toughest one i can remember was the battle with the troupe just before opening the last door to Demogorgon. Don't remember what theire names were, but I just can't seem to beat those guys without excessive use of the killsword :rolleyes:

6. Hux Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

I also just remembered that demi-lich in Watcher's Keep level 4. He was hard (at least when you play solo) because he would always cast imprisonment (3 times in a row with a very short break in between each spell) on you and for some reason there was an unusually low chance that you would "survive." If you did not get imprisoned than it was fair enough to say it was easy.

I still think though that Draconis is probably the hardest battle in ToB.

[ November 11, 2005, 11:45: Message edited by: Hux ]

7. Undertaker Gems: 27/31
    Latest gem: Emerald

Draconis, Kangaxx and other liches/mages who like to imprison (unless you have berserker, it's easy then), Melissan (when she cast time stop and hits my tank almost every time, on insane rules).
    Demogorgon is a piece of cake (5 spike traps :evil: )

8. starwalker Gems: 16/31

Draconis is in my opinion the worst. Very Strong. Very quick. Very ready to breath weapon you three and four times in a row. The damned invisibility. The spells he has. Those seem to be what he uses least.

Edit: Also. Draconis will use the wing buffet/Invisibility combo sooner if you let him.

9. Mihai SuperStar Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

WHAT?The hard fight for me was in the elf city with that Irenicus CHEATER! Especially when he had absolute imunity on chain c. and unlimited time stop and finger of death.
    -"Hey sexy, do you want take a look at me did'ye"(line from Baldur's gate II)Zbye huy

10. Undertaker Gems: 27/31
    Latest gem: Emerald

Solution - set trap field before you kill the last parasite

11. kuemper Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

A few:
    Draconis - invisibility! :mad: Sometimes I just CTRL+Y him to get it over with.

The final pool fight - I really have problems with Fallen Devas, succubi and whatever other demons are there. The manage to always dispel my protections. :aaa:

Melissan - not so much tough, once you know how to deal with her, as long. My last game it took ten minutes real time to knock her health down to get the final cut scene.

Oh and post 2K. :heh:

12. Aerie's Number One Fan Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

Media:
    Not the hardest, but the most annoying is the fight when you're trying to kill Yaga-Shura. His soldiers keep spawning all over the place, and just when you think you can take Yaga-Shura on, a group of Fire Giants and Soldiers show up between you.

Hardest would be Draconis. Also frustrating in one game because he killed Valygar and Valygar couldn't be resurrected at all. What spell does Draconis have that does that, because I didn't notice it during the heat of battle?

13. starwalker Gems: 16/31

Those Chunkings. Those sadly are not spells that do that. He has Acid breath. He looks and uses everything a green dragon has but some nutcase messed up the colors when they gave him a technical name and called him brown.

His Breath Weapon tends to do a lot of damage because there isn't much that protects from Acid unless you keep key items from SOA for the particular fight that I am aware of. And it's even more annoying to find them that stack.

I found this out after he double breath attacked my party and chunked all of them. Trying to figure out what in the world was going on and what made him so powerful I found it in the scroll that he used his breath weapon and did acid damage.

14. FrickenMoron Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

I guess its a real blessing then that gore CANT be turned on without ini editing in the german version of BG2 :/

At least it prevents those nasty chunky deaths of party members. When i turned it on per editing one day i was surprised that all people in the dreams actualy got chunked, it was somehow funnier just to see them die.

15. chevalier

chevalier Knight of Everfull Chalice ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    Hard to say. I remember being unable to do the Melissan battle with one party but it was probably more due to certain specific circumstances rather than generic difficulty (the party was a very strong one throughout the game). Demogorgon isn't so tough as he's believed to be. There's no need for magic around him: just buff up and slash him into pieces. The demilich is tough but if you have the Robe of Vecna, you can cast timestop before he does anything and then you can fry him with Dragonbreath or some such. The seal battle in Watcher's Keep was tougher than that. Perhaps the toughest battle but Melissan's is even more annoying. In SoA, random encounters tend to be tougher than many battles with bosses. Speaking of SoA, I can't recall beating the trolls in Nalia's cellar without using web and clouds and blocking the door. Maybe just once but not sure. They are ridiculously tough.

16. DavidisaDuke Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

I can seem to beat Melissan this time through. I've done it before, maybe the offset of having a higher level team while made the monsters *too* strong this time :p

IN FACT I've just cornered her and was just dishing out 15+ damage each hit from my fallen planetar, minsc and keldorn yet she just stay on "near death" the entire time! Apparently there's something preventing her from using the dialogue!

[ February 05, 2006, 20:08: Message edited by: DavidisaDuke ]

17. Maurolava

Maurolava Neither to go back, nor to take impulse Veteran

IMHO, I think the seal battle before reaching the Demogorgon is the toughest battle, I had to reload a lot.
    I don't think the Demogorgon is a tough battle as he is at a disadvantage, since you can come from either side to attack him, so I put summons on the front with my toughest tank (Minsc) and the rest of the party on the back, and hack away!! :cool:

Abigazal, is easy also, maybe annoying with the invisibility and wing buffet, but keldorn's true sight and a heavy tank get the job done.

Draconis is tough and annoying, but I didn't have to reload once! :D

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 16, 2012
  18. Warmonger Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

Improved Irenius. I came with 4mln party equipped with powerfull stuff and victory, even when I found correct tactic, took a great part of day. Yes, I was desperate. But next time it will be easier - maybe beacuse of loads of new mods I can use? :]

I find Draconis rather easy. OK, I had to reload few times in first game, butimproved Abazigal was MUCH more toughter. When I finally managed to win, I found one of my character improsoned...

[ February 05, 2006, 20:53: Message edited by: Warmonger ]

19. Silverstar Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Veteran

Oversight Sendai on insane difficulty! I thought Imp. Irenicus was very hard, but with right stuff he is a walk in the park for me. But OS Sendai.. Her tricks. Her cheesy tactics. Her massive power and control over all spells. I LOVE it!

Have you ever tried and beat her on insane?

20. Warmonger Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

Never played on Insane. I rather want to pass the game, not reload each battle 875753 times.
    But anyway, after reaching some power level, Sendai becomes a vicitim of slaughter. Just run around and SMASH all her incarnations. Last time I didn't have to load a game.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.