1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Tougher Tolkien quiz

Discussion in 'Whatnots' started by Maldir, Feb 25, 2003.

1. Maldir Gems: 11/31
    Latest gem: Bloodstone

OK, here's a quiz that should test your knowledge of Tolkien a bit further. All the questions have real answers (so none of them are answered "it doesn't exist" or anything similar), but for some of them you'll have to read the question carefully.
    Good luck!

1. Three men from Isildur's army survived the Battle of the Gladden Fields, of whom two are named. Who were they, and what artifact(s) did they bring back to Arnor?

2. The prophecy made about the Lord of the Nazgûl, that he should not fall by the hand of man, is well known. But who made the prophecy, to whom was it spoken, and in what circumstances?

3. Who founded Vinyalondë?

4. One of Aragorn II's titles was Elessar. He received the Elessar from Galadriel as the Fellowship of the Ring passed through Lórien. But what was the history of the Elessar before Aragorn received it? (There are two versions of this history, and either is acceptable)

5. At the Battle of the Dagorlad, at the end of the Second Age, the Elves of the Woodland Realm took disproportionately high casualties. What was the main reason for this?

6. Who ordered the construction of Minas Tirith?

7. Describe the circumstances in which Rivendell was founded.

8. Who was the son of Aragorn and Arwen?

9. When and where was King Denethor killed?

10. Who gave Hobbits permission to settle the land later to be called The Shire? Who gave them permission to settle Buckland?

2. Arabwel

Arabwel Screaming towards Apotheosis Veteran

Media:
    Hey, I can answer at least one at the top of my head! The others, I need to look up... if even then, I could find the truth...

8: Eldarion

(All that fanfic is not going to waste...)

3. Maldir Gems: 11/31

Yes, he was born in the year 120 of the Fourth Age, which must mean that they were using a very effective contraceptive. Actually it doesn't; Elves are much less fertile than humans and are very spiritually drained after giving birth, which explains how they could be immortal and yet not have a population explosion.
    But what about the harder questions?

4. Faragon Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

Veteran

3. Aldarion.
    6. Elendil if I remember correctly. However this depends on which Minas Tirith you mean, because there were two. One on the island of Tol Sirion, in the pass of Sirion. That one Sauron captured and was later destroyed by Luthien. And there's the one near the Anduin, later known as Gondor. The one on the island of Tol Sirion was built by Finrod Felagund.
    7. The Elves and Sauron had been at war for 4 years. Eregion is destroyed and Celebrimbor was slain.
    8. The before by Arabwel mentioned Eldarion.
    9. During the siege of Gondor, in well, duh, Gondor. He burnt himself to death.
    10. Argeleb II of Arthedain.

Working on the other ones.

5. Maldir Gems: 11/31

Faragon,
    3 was correct, in the eighth century of the Second Age.
    6 was correct (Finrod Felagund) - Elendil and Anárion of course ordered the construction of Minas Anor (subtle).
    7 was correct - for added details, Elrond was sent by Gil-Galad with a relieving army from Lindon. He was able to join his force to that of Celeborn, making a sortie from Eregion, but Sauron's army was big enough both to keep their forces away from Eregion and attack the city itself. After the fall of Eregion, Elrond gathered survivors, and would have been overwhelmed if the dwarves of Moria had not attacked Sauron's army from the rear. Elrond was forced northwards and founded a refuge at Rivendell, where he was besieged by part of Sauron's army as the rest of the army went to attack Lindon. The siege was not broken until Tar-Minastir sent a Númenorean army that utterly defeated Sauron.
    8. was correct.
    9. was incorrect - the Denethor in the Lord of the Rings was not a King.
    10. was partially correct - Argeleb II of Arthedain gave the Hobbits permission to settle the Shire, but he was not the one to give them permission to settle Buckland.

6. Faragon Gems: 25/31

Veteran

6) Doh, of course, because it was renamed to Tirith after the Nazgul took over Minas Ithil.
    9) :doh: Man, do I feel like a noob. :D The only Denethors I can recall are the two stewards of Gondor, and one elf who led his people into Ossiriand iirc. I believe they were Green Elves, but this is stretching though.

7. Maldir Gems: 11/31

You're on the right track, but I still need to know when and where...

8. Faragon Gems: 25/31

Veteran

Heh, am I the only one even trying this? :)

King Denethor was slain on Amon Ereb, in fighting the orcs Morgoth unleashed at the lands of Denethor, Cirdan and Thingol. This was before the return of the Noldor to MiddleEarth.

Edit: The other questions don't ring any bells with me yet, and I don't have the books (the forgotten tales) to look it up :) (I guess I should go off on a bookshopping spree ;) )

9. Morgoth

Morgoth La lune ne garde aucune rancune Veteran

Media:
    4. Elessar (Elvenstone, I´m translating from Dutch now) was the title Aragorn recieved when he became king of Gondor. The reason he got the name was because he recieved the green jewel Elessar from Galadriel, originally the stone was given to her daughter Celebrian, and Celebrian to her daughter Arwen Undómiel (Nightstar??)

10. Maldir Gems: 11/31

Faragon - yes, you're right (though we now have another challenger). You might be able to answer one more question if you haven't got Unfinished Tales, and give me the full answer to question 10 - are you up to the challenge? :D
    Morgoth - correct, but Galadriel did not make the Elessar. I want to know the history of the Elessar before it came to Galadriel - who made it, what it was for, etc. There are two versions of the legend, presumably because she was rather tight-lipped about where she got it from.

Oh yes, the English translations of Elessar and Undómiel are Elfstone and Evenstar, so that's pretty close to your translation from Dutch.

11. Morgoth

Morgoth La lune ne garde aucune rancune Veteran

Media:
    *sigh* ...annoying little miscreant :p

Version 1.
    The stone was created in Gondolin by a smith named Enerdhil, who was the greatest smith of the Noldor after the death of Fëanor. He gave it to Idril, the daughter of the king Turgon who was also the uncle of Gil-galad (eerr YAY). Idril gave it to her son Eärendil. Eärendil and the Elessar became lost during his travel to Middle-earth .
    Centuries later another Elessar was discovered (many claim it still was the same, which survived with mercy given by the Vala) brought by Mithrandir (aka Gandalf or Olóron) from Yavanna, Gandalf also mentioned she should return to Valinor, but not before she gave the stone to a person who shall be named Elessar (guess who??)

Version 2.
    Here the first part is somewhat the same, Celebrimbor created the stone in Gondolin and gave it to Ildir, Ildir to Eärendil, and they became lost.
    After this Lady Galadriel came to Celebrimbor in Eregion (even before Sauron tricked the smithies of Eregion), and asked him to create the second stone, Galadriel kept the stone till she was got Nenya(also from Celebrimbor and the most powerfull of the three elven rings). After this... read my other reply :p

Edit:
    Hmm two dutchmen and both tolkiennerds :D

12. Maldir Gems: 11/31

I know, what is it about you Dutch? :D

Good answer for number 4, but the second version has it that Celebrimbor was a rival of Enerdhil in Gondolin, though he actually made the Elessar in Eregion. It was a gift for Galadriel whom he loved, though she had chosen Celeborn. It was said that this Elessar (Elessar 2.0?) was more subtle and clear than that of Enerdhil, but less potent, as the Sun at the time of Enerdhil was in its youth, but the Sun at the time of Celebrimbor was tainted by the shadow of Morgoth on Middle Earth from the Void.
    Both Elessar 1.0 and 2.0 had special powers - those who looked through the stone saw things that were withered and burned healed or as they were in the grace of their youth, and the hands of one who held it brought healing to all that they touched. Clearly this power must have been useful to Aragorn, though he had already showed healing ability with Frodo at Weathertop.

13. lasgalen Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

1. can't remember their names, but one was the esquire of isildur, and he carried the shards of narsil back to rivendell to the son of isildur.

2. glorfindel of rivendell (possibly also of gondolin....) to some king of the north kingdom who was about to head off in pursuit of the lord of the nazgul.

14. Maldir Gems: 11/31

1. is correct (for one of the three), but I'd really like names.
    2. Glorfindel is correct, and it is also correct that whoever it was spoken to was about to go off in pursuit of the Lord of the Nazgûl. But he was neither a King, nor of the North Kingdom (that should be enough of a clue).

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.