1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Total War: Warhammer - Because "Total Warhammer" wasn't a better name or anything...

Discussion in 'Total War Series' started by Marceror, Jan 19, 2016.

1. Marceror

Marceror Chaos Shall Be Sown In Their Footsteps Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Seriously. Anyone looking forward to this? Bueller? Bueller?

Bueller?

2. Keneth Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran

Media:
    As much as I love all things Warhammer, I'll reserve my judgement and excitement for after release.

In recent years, the Warhammer license has been given out to pretty much anyone, which has resulted in a slew of horrible, unfaithful games.

3. henkie

henkie Hammertime Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    I'm not that familiar with plain Warhammer, but is it the same grimdark stuff as Warhammer 40k? I'm rather ambivalent about 40k. On the one hand, the things in it are pretty cool. On the other hand, I find the grimdark stuff really, really retarded.

That being said, it looks like a TW game with some warhammer lay-over. Sort of like how the LotR mod for TW:M2 is mostly TW, but with a LotR skin over it.

Also, didn't we have a TW subforum?

4. Keneth Gems: 29/31

Media:
    About as retarded as most disillusioned roleplayers find classic high fantasy? :shake:

I must admit, I'm quite partial to grimdark myself. From the more grimlite stuff, like Planescape: Torment, to absolute doom and gloom, like Dark Souls.

5. henkie

henkie Hammertime Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    Perhaps, though I'm not much of a roleplayer.

In the Warhammer 40k stuff, I find it rather tiring that everyone either dies or falls to chaos. The whole unavoidability of chaos is pretty tiring as well. Also, the notion of techpriests just pisses me off.

6. Marceror

Marceror Chaos Shall Be Sown In Their Footsteps Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    I forgot about the TW forum. It's still there. Would be happy if a kind mod could move this.

7. Keneth Gems: 29/31

Media:
    Only if you're human. :lol:

8. henkie

Media:
    Or Eldar.

Or the (friend/companion of) a main protagonist.

9. chevalier

chevalier Knight of Everfull Chalice ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    After Dawn of War, I may be tempted to give this a try. WH is a solid 'franchise' (hate the word), and is sufficiently nitty gritty without going overboard for show. I really liked DoW.

10. henkie

Media:
    DoW was pretty mild in the grimdark stuff, if I recall correctly. I didn't care much for the original DoW (+ expansions) type of Company of Heroes gameplay style, too finnicky for me. But what I've seen of DoW2, I'd definitely get that if it ever comes out on GoG, that looks like a game I'd enjoy.

11. henkie

Media:
    Just found this, which is 40k in a nutshell (though more hilarious :p):

pplr likes this.
  12. Cap'n CJ

Cap'n CJ Arrr! Veteran

Media:
    So, a quick rundown for those that don't know about this game:

Creative Assembly have been making Total War games for years, going through time periods and locations. Their earliest effort was Shogun (1999), which tasked the player with unifying Japan in the Sengoku period. After that they tackled medieval Europe, the Napoleonic era, the Roman empire, the founding of America, and recently the rise of Atilla the Hun. Eventually they got bored of real history and struck a deal with Games Workshop to make a game based on Warhammer Fantasy.

The game is essentially played out in two modes - The campaign map, which works as a turn based strategy game, and the battle map, where armies are sent to their untimely deaths in real time. The overall objective is to destroy Chaos (a threat that spreads from the north) and control a good chunk of the map. Alternatively, if you play as Chaos, it's all about razing every city you can find to the ground.

At present the game is pretty light on races, with only the Empire, Dwarfs, Orcs & Goblins, Vampire Counts, and (if you pre-ordered) Chaos currently playable. Creative Assembly have committed to adding at least one more race for free, though more will likely be added as paid DLC.

The game is fairly pretty, especially in battles. Magic zips across the screen, monsters stomp around sending footsoldiers flying, it's very satisfying. Individual soldiers are nicely detailed despite battles having upwards of a thousand of them on each side.

Each race feels like it has a distinct personality - Dwarfs are slow but hugely stubborn, and can field impressive gunlines for defense. Vampires have no ranged units atall, but their undead hordes don't feel fear, and armies can be (quite literally) raised very quickly. The Orcs are excellent in close combat, but have to fight often or their armies start killing themselves. The Empire, being essentially humans, are startlingly average. Chaos have the most unusual playstyle, being unable to capture towns - They exist in war camps, and burn every city they attack to the ground. They aren't about domination so much as total destruction.

So, folks that have been playing, what do you think? Tactics, complaints, tips? Let's hear 'em.

Taluntain likes this.
  13. henkie

Media:
    There is a thread about the TW: Warhammer game, but I didn't realise it's already out.

14. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Merging threads!

And keeping CJ's new title...

15. Marceror

Media:
    I'm digging TW:WH. First, this has got to be one of the most stable TW releases, perhaps in the history of Total War? I've tried a fair bit of 4 out of 5 playable factions (all but the Greenskins) and each is fun and challenging for very different reasons. Chaos relies on sacking and raiding for money. They have almost no economy otherwise. When you start getting to a point where you have 4 or 5 armies in the field it can be hard to maintain your cash flow. You have to be constantly on the hunt for well developed towns to sack. But the more that you burn to the ground, the harder that can become. And, you're at war with basically everyone with no diplomacy option to end wars. You're only potential allies are Norsca tribes that you awaken or subdue. Their sorcerer generals are great spell casters and melee fighters, and many of them can eventually ride 2 headed chaos dragons! Yes, there is now flying units in Total War.

The Vampire Counts have to spread vampiric corruption or their undead armies take attrition when they step outside of it. This promotes a somewhat slower expansion. Visually, they turn provinces from happy little places to a cross between Sleepy Hollow and Disney's Haunted Mansion. It's very fun to watch the slow spread of the corruption. It's extremely evocative. In a pinch, they can raise massive undead armies very quickly, though in provinces that haven't seen major battles they will only raise cheap, expendable units. After a large battle, they can raise much more advanced undead units. It's a cool mechanic.

Dwarfs can build a powerful economy with lands rich in precious metals and gems, and can turn that economy into a powerhouse with trade agreements. They have tough, slow units with no Cavalry to speak of. Later, they can get gyrocopters that are very fast though, but still not great at running down routing units.

The Empire can do pretty much everything, but aren't masters of much. Their cavalry is among their better assets. They don't have much in the way of monstrous units, but they have cav, good infantry, good artillery, decent ranged units. They are the most traditional of the factions. But, they can also raise spellcasters and their faction leader can mount a massive flying creature known as Deathclaw.

Greenskins cannot trade with other factions. They have to keep fighting or raiding, or their armies will fight amongst themselves, causing attrition. Many of their units are cheap and pretty easy to kill, but if they can work their warlike kin into a frenzy, and gain allied armies out of nowhere to help them accomplish their goals.

For Creative Assembly's first foray into fantasy, I think they have built a really solid foundation. A setting like Warhammer is a natural fit for Total War. I can't wait to see it expand and improve over time.

16. henkie

Media:
    Not that many factions for a TW game, but I suppose they're more differentiated than in any other TW game (unless you count the Third War mod for M2, I suppose).

It does sound like there's finally a TW installment that I actually would like to play, though I'll definitely wait a bit longer to see if more bugs are reported.

17. Marceror

Media:
    There are a lot of minor factions in the game. There are numerous Empire factions, for example, and there can be wars, alliances, and even confederations within the Empire. Confederations are a voluntary annexation of a minor faction into the major faction, like Avenland can choose to join the Empire. But Middenland tends to hate the Emperor as the leader of Middenland was a pretender to the throne Carl Franz inherited, and he would still like to take it. Marianburg supports Middenland so these factions are likely to be problems for the Empire.

All other playable factions have similar mechanics, except for Chaos, though the Chaos Wastes of Norsca are filled with various tribes that will be immediate threats, as well as a clan of dwarves.

Another faction that is in the game, but only playable in custom battles is Brettonia. They seem to be fairly well fleshed out, with their own faction leader, units and minor factions that make them up. It is expected by many they will become the next playable faction in a Free-LC.

There are also the Kingdoms of Estalia, Tilea and the Border Princes in the game. The Greenskins have numerous factions, but are natural foes to the Savage Orcs, which are effectively their own faction/race with their own look, units, etc.

So, don't think there aren't a lot of factions just because there are only 5 that are playable. The world feels very full and there are tons of diplomacy options, unless you're Chaos, where the primary diplomacy option is kill all that you see.

18. henkie

Media:
    I see, so choosing dwarf or empire is more like choosing catholic or islamitic in M2?

19. Marceror

Media:
    To use M2 analogies, to me The Empire is maybe a cross between France and the Teutonic Knights. Good unit variety and good at pretty much everything, with some good armored units and really good heavy cavalry. Whereas Brettonia, as the name already implies, is more like England, with actual Medieval style units in their roster.

Compared to the Empire, the Dwarves have a lot more armor, deadly ranged infantry and are just slow as hell. Absolutely no cavalry to speak of. Their late game gyrocopters are extremely fast, but aren't a good replacement for proper cavalry.

Nothing really feels like an Islamic faction to me, as no faction in my opinion has amazing horse archers. The Empire has some decent shorter ranged gun cavalry, but I've found them to be pretty vulnerable given the fantasy dynamics of battle -- more of a supplementary unit rather than a staple unit.

The Greenskins are maybe the pagans (e.g. Lithuania), with a lot of cheap low armor units supported by some better late game units. Chaos is the Mongols, but with only decent horse archers (axe throwers) and excellent heavy cav. But both are hordes that can roll over enemies. I'm not sure there is a good comparison for the Vampire Counts, as that faction is essentially weak undead supported by strong undead, supported by strong undead monsters and led by spell casting leaders. No ranged units, other than magic users. No artillery. Not sure what would compare to that in M2.

There are no mercenaries in the game, so you can't supplement your roster with other factions stuff. Surely mods will change this up.

20. pplr Gems: 18/31
    Latest gem: Horn Coral

Veteran

Media:
    They may. I'm assuming even more DLCs.

Noticed a lack of elves-high, dark, or forest-in terms of factions that are there. Correct me if I'm wrong but the typical grimdark Warhammer background has *not* made it so the forest elves are similar to high elves in being a "we can take on any other faction and win but our society is doomed anyway" faction?

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.