1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Torment versus all others

Discussion in 'Planescape: Torment (Classic)' started by Mace, Feb 7, 2002.

1. Mace Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

being a newbie to rpg games a friend gave me torment, wife has buldergate.i got hooked on torment right away but was woundering are all the games in a series or just by them selves.i'm still working on torment and thinking are there more like torment thats a real good play?any ideas would be helpfull:) and kitera if you read this grrrr hooked on this lmao p.s. is there an add on for torment?

2. ArtEChoke Gems: 17/31
    Latest gem: Star Diopside

Sadly, I believe of all the infinity engine games, Torment sold the worst, so there were no add ons, and no sequels etc.

As far as how it compares to the other games (BG, Icewind Dale, etc.) I think Torment is the best of the lot.

3. EuphoricAnguish Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

Torment was the only real RPG, all the others are glorified dungeon-crawls and hack-em-ups. :(

4. Extremist Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Actually, there are two games that every Torment maniac should get:

Fallout 2 (skip first sequel, it's too short)
    Arcanum

5. Sir Dargorn Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

I think you cannot cmpare them to each other. Planescape is brilliant and my second Fav of the Black isle games.
    But as far as i can see it is too different from the others t be compared fairly......it has a uniqueness in the fact that it is so non-linear in a way and very linear in others........the chracter development is totally unique to Baldurs Gate and the action is too few and far between to be anything like Icewind dale (my personal fav).
    Planescape is a great interactive story.......not really so much a game like Bg

6. Slackertoast Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

Torment was the best 'Overall' game of the infinity series games. It's too bad that BG hit it off and Torment didn't we could have been playing Torment 3 right now. Oh well, I'm just happy I found it.I don't know what this means or how to spell it but it seems appropriate for this situation."que sara sara"

7. Sprite Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

Slackertoast: "Que sera, sera" is French for "What will be, will be".

8. Grovflab Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

Torment is indeed a great game. But one of the reasons it sold so badly must be the setting. Some days ago, I tried to explain the game to someone, who wasn't into fantasy that much, and while he was able to understand a world like the forgotten realms, planescape was just to darn wierd for him to concieve.

9. cirian16 Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

Yes it is french for What will be, will be its a song sung by....ahhh I'm just a young kid its an old song.....Dorris Day?....I really have no idea but ahhh games like Torment are good if you like complete control of your character and there should be a sequel to Torment now that BG is dead and IWD is pure hack and slash we need....something.The old infinity engine may not look the best but with it you had some of the best gameplay decent graphics and you didnt need a computer thats new to play the games(3D games are killing my machine).We can't let great games like Torment to die because we can't live with RPGs like PoR....God why can't rich guys like Bill gates be addicted to games like Torment....with 8 billion dollars its not gonna be hard to get all the copywrites and all that other techniqual stuff I sound like an idiot when I try to talk about....

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.