1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Tor'Gal

Discussion in 'BG2: Throne of Bhaal (Classic)' started by niewazne, Jul 5, 2018.

1. niewazne Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

How do I beat him? I just can't. I went to The De'Arnise Keep soon after leaving Irenicus' dungeon because I don't want Nalia to constantly nag me.

My party:
    My character, a Barbarian
    Minsc
    Jaheira
    Anomen
    Yoshimo
    Nalia

2. Mark Hall Gems: 1/31

He's a tough fight. I have to run it several times.

With that party? Jaheria should have some Fire Elementals; some spells that slow him are nice, but nothing slows his people like other people to punch. Nalia should like some offensive spells... if she has Skull Trap, that's great. Yoshimo should toss out some traps as well. Anomen can use Glyph of Warding. As much as possible, everyone should be warded... against fire, sure, but you also Ironskin/Stoneskin are also great.

Open with a fireball or two. Don't bother talking... just fireball to draw them towards your traps.

3. SlickRCBD Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Resourceful Adored Veteran

Media:
    If you are fresh out of Irenicus' Dungeon, you are most likely still below level 11. If so, Fireball is generally better than Skull Trap as it has a larger AoE and does not have to be triggered. However, Fireball is damaged capped at 10d6 at level 10, while Skull Trap is not capped, so at caster level 11 or higher Skull Trap does more damage to potentially fewer foes. At level 10 or below Fireball does the same damage and is usually a better choice.

That said, a Wand of Fire can do just as well as a casting of Fireball allowing you to choose other 3rd level spells than damage dealers like haste and slow. Try first using Malison, then casting disablers like Stinking Cloud, Web, and horror. Throw in grease and if you have a druid entangle to keep them in the kill zone. Finally, after all those spells are going off, cast Cloudskill on the area to make a kill zone. A webbed or unconscious opponent can be hit automatically at range, allowing Nalia to put her bow to good use, especially that bow that fires 3 shots per round you get from freeing Hendak and taking on the slavers.
    Have a tank or two focus on the people on the edge of the kill zone, and have the rest use ranged weapons to target whoever is webbed or unconscious to get auto-hits. Change targets when they make their saves as spreading guaranteed damage is better than a miss, but if a hurt enemy fails their save, target them again.

4. Idan Gems: 1/31

Well, it's a bit of dirty trick, not to say cheating, but I used to stand in a spot where Torgal is concealed totally or barely visible by the Fog of War area, and released a cloudkill. Usually kills him instantly, or at least his lackeys.

5. niewazne Gems: 1/31

Thank you! I just lured Tor'Gal out and cast Grease and Entangle to keep his guards away. Killed him with my tanks and then took care of the other two trolls with ranged weapons.

6. Laclongquan Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

Veteran

Eh, SCS buff his party up with umber hulk elder, 2 mages, and two more trolls, I think. In which case headon straight fight is a losing proposal for any party fresh out of Promenade.

I blanket the room with entangle and web (stinky cloud if possible) to separate them, and add extra cloudkill to kill the trapped. Extra point for entangle ruin mage's castings.
    Then I withdraw back to the Umber Hulk room to wait for the one beat through them, which is most likely Torgal solo. So he get killed.
    Then I withdraw again to the troll room, leaving behind an UH room full of cloudkill and web to stall them. The one beat through is most likely troll squad.
    At this time the mages are most likely exhaust their spells and die. UH elder might survive, or not.

The key is NOT fighting them all at once in a room. Because SCS provide mages with plenty of spells, straight fights with melee while mages provide cover fire is just asking for trouble. One horror throwing out and our party crumble.

Tools is mage spells of web, stinky cloud, maaaaaybe memorize Cloudkill, Jaheira's entangle. Aaaaand wand of cloudkill. Personel is Jaheira, Nalia, one or two extra mages in which case are MC and Aerie.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.