1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Top Five Greatest Sportspeople

Discussion in 'Colosseum' started by Harbourboy, Oct 5, 2005.

1. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

[​IMG] Simple enough question. Who are your top five greatest sportspeople of all time? I thought the results might be quite interesting given the range of countries and sports covered by people on these Boards. Note, that by "greatest", I am talking about their impact, skills, achievements etc, rather than just being your favourites, although I accept that you will probably be biased towards people you like.

To get the ball rolling, here is my list:

1. Sir Donald Bradman (Cricket): For those of you who are unaware, in cricket, a really good batsman might have an average as high as 50. Sir Don finished his career at 99.94. Despite being an Australian, he was the Man, especially for providing his nation with something to celebrate during the Depression and War years.

2. Pele (Soccer): You know you've made it when everyone knows you by one name.

3. Muhammad Ali (Boxing): I wasn't going to have him on my list, due to my reservations about the sport of boxing, but I can't deny his impact.

4. Michael Jordan (Basketball): Another guy who has become a legend even amongst people (like me) who would not have even bothered to watch basketball if it wasn't for him.

5. Tiger Woods (Golf): Tough call choosing someone who potentially still has so much of his career to go, but the Michael Jordan comments apply to Tiger as well.

Hmm, no rugby players, no New Zealanders, and no women. Maybe I should have made it a top 10 or 20. Also, note that I was going to put Wayne Gretzky in but I figured that might be a bit odd, given that I have only ever watched 2 ice hockey games in my whole life and I never watched him play.

2. Barmy Army

Barmy Army Simple mind, simple pleasures... Adored Veteran

Media:
    1 - Sir Donald Bradman (cricket) - No introduction needed really. The greatest man ever to pick up a cricket bad. His average was absolutely unbelievable.I'm actualyl pretty pissed off at my England for getting him for a duck in his last ever game, otherwise his average would have been 100+!!!

2 - Bobby Charlton (football) - Astoundingly shocking hair, astouningly brilliant talent. Englands top ever scorer and not even a forward. One of the best footballers ever and one of the finest sportsmen.

3 - Jim Laker (cricket) - Probably the biggest unsung hero in cricket ever! Probably the greatest spinner ever to live and rarely even spoken about. 19 wickets in one test match, no one has come close to that really.

4 - Pele (football) - THE greatest footballer EVER. His goalscoring record was absolutely mind-boggling.

5 - W.G. Grace (cricket) - 54200+ runs and 2800+ wickets. BRING IT OOOON! :lol: 'The Doc' was a legend in every sense of the word.

I want to add more, like Gary Linekar and Alan Shearer but have to limit it to 5!

3. kuemper Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

It's time for one of the girls to speak out. You may be surprised at my choices. :p

#1 Billie Jean King - She's won so many titles and matches in tennis, but the best was her defeating Bobby Riggs in the infamous Battle of the Sexes in 1973.

#2 Nadia Comaneci - I can just remember watching this little girl break down when she saw her gymnastic score was a 1.0. To the joy of the fans, it was made clear she achieved a 10, but the scorecard wasn't wide enough for three digits! Nadia is the reason I continue to keep an eye on gymnastics.

#3 Roger Bannister - The first man to break the four minute mile - twice! He did this while continuing his medical studies and even managed a knighthood for his efforts. :thumb:

#4 Bruce Jenner - This one is a bit pride as he did most of his Olympic training while going to college in Iowa. Still, incredible to compete successfully in 10 different events.

#5 Joseph Jacques Plante - He was the foundation for how hockey goalies stand and protect their net. Oh yeah, and he originated the fiberglass hockey mask worn by goalies today.

4. Shell

Shell Awww, come and give me a big hug!

Media:
    #1 Martin O'Neill - Ex-Celtic manager who quit to look after his wife who has cancer. Good looking, excellent manager and kind hearted too - what else do you need? :)
    #2 Jose Mourinho - Current Chelsea manager - you have to laugh at his antics on and off the pitch, and his general I don't care what anyone thinks attitude
    #3 Rafa Benitez - Current Liverpool manager. He's very cheeky :)
    #4 Matt Dawson - Rugby Union player for Wasps and England. I tried to think of a valid reason but if I'm honest it's just because I fancy him :lol:
    #5 Neil Lennon - Celtic captain and excellent footballer. I also like his hair :)

Honourable Mentions
    Steven Gerrard - went off him as he has a bimbo girlfriend
    Frank Lampard - who the hell calls their kid Luna :(

5. Pac man Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

Michael jordan
    Mohammed Ali
    Babe Ruth
    Lance Armstrong
    Diego Armando Maradona

* About my last choice: Pele was probably individually the better player, but Brazil would have won those worldcup titles without him just as easily, he just completed the team, Maradona on the other hand WAS the team.

6. Felinoid

Felinoid Who did the what now? ★ SPS Account Holder

1. Reggie White (American football): The best athlete and man to ever live. His nickname was the Minister of Defense because not only did he play defensive end for the Packers (and Eagles), he was a very devout man and was even ordained a minister by his church. May he rest in peace. :cry:

2. Brett Favre (American football): Combined with #1, he got the Packers to the Super Bowl (twice!) for the first time in thirty years. Many years later, he's still the best there is, and his legacy will live forever.

More as they come to me.

7. grillen Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

Bjorn Borg(tennis)
    Babe Ruth(baseball)
    Pele
    Jesse Owens(track, he owned Hitler and his racism)
    Fatality or Heaton(e-sports) lol

8. Morgoroth

Morgoroth Just because I happen to have tentacles, it doesn'

I'm going to only pick sports I know something about, so no cricket champions on my list. ;)

1 Ayrton Senna. Formula One driver, the best I've ever seen in my opinion. Sure Schumacher might have more records and sure Fangio may have driven all his championships in a time when it was common for several drivers to die in a season but the passion, quickness and the never give up attitude by Senna made him special, and his death on the race track made him ever the greater of a legend.

2. Pete Sampras. Arguably the most gifted player ever to wield a tennis racquette(sp?). His coolness and skill made him great on court and outside it. He packed up his carear nicely by winning the last tournament he played in, which happened to be a grand slam. Federer is a potential player to catch him, but he still has a long way to go though.

3. I could not live with myself if I'd not pick a Finn here so I'll pick Paavo Nurmi, a long distance runner who held several records in his time. He probably still has a few minor records but the bigger ones have allready been beaten. A great symbol of Finnish atheltics.

4. Pele. Others have introduced him well enough so I probably won't need to do that. Simply the best man to kick a ball, ever. ;)

5. Wayne Grezky. When Canadians start finding this thread this man will probably be on the top of their list. An truly great ice hockey player and easily the best ever in NHL. The guy has so many amazing records that no one can even come close to that it makes you wonder.

9. NonSequitur Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

I'm sure that people won't be surprised at how partisan my choices are. After all, I'm an Australian. :p

#1 - Sir Donald Bradman (cricket)

For much the same reasons as HB and BA have listed. Quite simply, Bradman was incomparable; a peerless batsman, a true gentlemen, and an inspirational figure. Plus he's an Australian.

#2 - Muhammad Ali (boxing)

Ali wasn't just a great boxer, he was another inspirational figure; a man who transcended his sport to become more than a man. He talked the talk and walked the walk. So many quotes, so many achievements.

#3 - Heather McKay (squash)

I'm sure a few people will be saying "Who?" For them, here is a link:

http://www.squashpics.com/pastplayers/heather_mckay.htm

Put simply, anyone whose career spans 15 years, and who loses only two professional matches in all that time, is in a class of their own.

#4 - Gary Ablett (Australian Rules football)

Again, another "Who?" for most (and anyone outside Australia). Ablett's nickname was "God" - one which he has asked not to be used, as a born-again Christian - and he was absolutely incredible on the field. He didn't have size or power as a full-forward, but he was tough as nails, skilled beyond belief, and could turn a match around in a matter of minutes. One of the greatest AFL players in history.

#5 - Pele (soccer)

One word. 'Nuff said. While I agree with Pacman's sentiments about Maradona, Pele was such a phenomenal player (and less mired in controversy than Diego) that he made the cut here.

10. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Some really interesting choices so far, the most dubious (in my opinion) being Matt Dawson (!) But everyone is entitled to their opinion!

11. Register Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Barmy Army, why do you consider Pele before Charlton?

12. Felinoid

Felinoid Who did the what now? ★ SPS Account Holder

@HB:
    Well, Shell already admitted:
    There's also the question of whether cycling (Lance Armstrong) or track (Jesse Owens) are actually "sports", per se, but these guys are most definitely athletes, and are very good at what they do. :hmm: How about changing the title to "Top Five Greatest Athletes" so we can include these great achievers?

13. olimikrig

olimikrig Cavalier of War Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Preben Elkjær
    (Soccer) A guy who can smoke 20 cigarettes a day, and still play soccer at top level wil forever hold my respect :p

Pele
    (soccer, again) For reasons mentioned by others, and because we almost share the same name :rolling:

Miguel Indurain
    (Cykling) One of the greatest people to ever have ridden a bike... He's the one who first gave me the interrest in cykling sports.

Alan Shearer
    (soccer :rolleyes: ) Great footballer, I was and is a huge fan of his.

Carl Lewis
    (athletic - long jump, 100 and 200 meters) 10 Olympic medals (9 of which are gold), 8 world championship's gold medals, and 1 bronze, from 1983 to 1993.
    All this in a carrier which went from 1984 to 1996. Need I say more :hmm:

14. dmc

dmc Speak softly and carry a big briefcase Staff Member Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    This is difficult, given that I find so many sports immensely boring. While I recognize the athletic prowess of many people who play sports I hate, I cannot vote for them. Thus, no football players of any type. No cricket. No golf (not sure it's a sport anyway -- I like to play but watching is tedium incarnate).

So . . .

1. Jordan - his physical skills were only surpassed by his competitive spirit

2. Gretzky - in a league comprised mainly of thugs (even then), he was head and shoulders above everone

3. Wilt Chamberlain - amazing at basketball and track

4. Sampras by a nose over Emerson - I'm not sure that I don't think it should be the other way, given the crappy equipment Emerson used compared to Sampras, but I think, generally, Sampras had more competition.

5. Ali - Just . . . wow . . . and I don't like boxing all that much or he'd be higher up.

15. Kitrax

Kitrax Pantaloons are supposed to go where!?!?

Media:
    Hmmm...I can't put them in order, so here are my five:

-Mike Jordan - the Bulls used to kick a$$ when they had Jordan
    -Bret Farve - Green Bay rules!
    -Lance Armstong - Beat the French on their own turf...'nuff said. :p
    -Wane Gretzky - Hocky was cool back then, and he was the best.
    -Anyone on the US Olympic Swimming Team! :thumb:

Note, if anyone mentions Dale Earnheart, his loser of a son, or any other driver from NASCAR...I will personally beat you with a rather large trout! :p :rolling:

16. Harbourboy

Just to clarify, for the purposes of this thread, I certainly do count track and field, cycling, motor racing, and golf as 'sports'.

17. Gnarfflinger

Gnarfflinger Wiseguy in Training

1. Wayne Gretzky. Nobody will ever achieve what he did in the NHL.

2. Muhammed Ali. Simply the Greatest.

3. Bobby Orr (Ice Hockey). He revolutionized the defence position, and was one of three players ever to record 100+ assists in a regular season.

4. Nolan Ryan (Baseball). 7 no hitters, record setting Fastball, Career Strikeout record, Anything else?

5. Royce Gracie (UFC). Won three of the first four Ultimate fighting challenge tournaments, and always against guys bigger than he was. by the time his opponent realized that he was in trouble, Gracie was already having his hand raised by the referee...

18. NonSequitur Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

Holy crap, how could I have forgotten Royce Gracie? I guess he's much like Heather McKay in that respect - a true legend in their field, but without much exposure or outside recognition.

:bang: :doh: :bang:

I remember one of his bouts, against Dan Severn. Severn had a significant size and weight advantage over Gracie (heck, most of his opponents did). 95% of the bout was Severn pounding Gracie, and the commentators were saying that it was only a matter of time.

Then Severn shifted his weight slightly, Gracie whipped around him like an octopus, and Severn tapped. Absolutely amazing stuff - blink and you'll miss it. I can only imagine what Shamrock-Gracie was like.

19. Harbourboy

Royce Gracie? Never heard of him. I'm sure Jaguar could take him.

20. Late-Night Thinker Gems: 17/31
    Latest gem: Star Diopside

C'mon people...Chris Berman!

I mean, he was the Swami for goodness sakes!

Listen to these quotes:

"That's why they play the game." (for upsets)
    "Back back back back back back ... GONE!" (home runs)
    "Rumblin', Bumblin', Stumblin'" (mostly for running backs)
    "He could ... go ... all ... the ... way!" (mimicking Howard Cosell)

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.